Trying to update dash for Kinect(Jtag)

it's like pointing to the usb stick isn't it (mass storage device) have you got another USB key or some thing other that you can use?

I'm still looking for one Dibbers,there like hens teeth in this house

Found one,starting updating etc,told me shut down,so I did the power cycle thing,switched it back on and get 3 red lights,I'm really fooked off with this now.

ah man you know in post 18 when you said that you "wrote your nand" and you got 2 bad blocks, what did this mean? in multibuilder? is that when you mean you got the 2 bad blocks....... nand flasher is just for dumping your nand and then creating it in multibuilder and following on from there to flash the nand back via xell.....?

ah man you know in post 18 when you said that you "wrote your nand" and you got 2 bad blocks, what did this mean? in multibuilder? is that when you mean you got the 2 bad blocks....... nand flasher is just for dumping your nand and then creating it in multibuilder and following on from there to flash the nand back via xell.....?

I meant dumped my nand using nand flasher(which found 2 bad blocks) then used it in multibuilder then flashed it back.

Any ideas were I go from here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah mate, if it found two bad blocks in the nand when you read it then you should have stopped there mate before writing it back......when you say you flashed it back, what with? nandflasher? nandflasher was just for reading the nand......??! you should have posted back that you had 2 bad blocks man.....I hope it can be saved mate....

Doing a bit of reading and indeed I should have remapped the bad blocks.Ah well you live and learn!
I used Xell to flash the NAND back,was that wrong?

ah shit man, no it wasn't wrong but you should have stopped when you seen two bad blocks and then told us mate before writing it back.....I did post mate...shizzz man! (glad you didn't write it back using nand flasher not that this helps you right now mate...)

I think it's the end of the road for it, as if it's wrote two bad blocks back, I'm not sure if you can get it repaired. I'd have thought not though mate as struggled with one me self, (when I installed a cool runner) dang it!

Is there any way of getting it back like Dave?

Out of curiosity,why did it work with the two bad blocks it already had?

Is there any way of getting it back like Dave?

I did the very same thing a few months ago Dibbs. It can be rescued if you have your original nand dumps with a nand-x and qsb's.
Remap the bad blocks and write back with the nand-x

there's a little explanation here, it will still work as it knows where the bad blocks have been wrote too when it worked. that's why you have to remap them if you get bad ones mate before writing them back.

Blocks are not skipped but rather they are re-directed to a Reserved Block Area used specifically for Bad Block replacement. The Reserved Block Area also stores/saves the Bad Block Table that keeps track of the re-mapped “developed Bad Blocks”.

Bad Blocks are blocks that contain one or more invalid bits whose reliability is not guaranteed. Bad Blocks may be present when the device is shipped, or may develop during the lifetime of the device.

BAD BLOCKS

Fingers crossed for you then mate, some one might be able to remap it and write it back as posted by toler and dave.!

Good luck mate

Last edited:
Bad blocks are bad sectors on the flash chips. They cannot be repaired.

To avoid waste/extra cost, the bad blocks are not written upon, and the intended data is programmed onto another sector. Aka remapped

You'll get there man, for example suppose I sold you 3 bottles of ink, red, blue and green, now when I sold you them in case you break one or I smashed one on the way to you rather than return them to me, I supplied you with a couple of spare bottles, so you crack the red bottle and instead of wasting the red ink, you fill up one of the spare bottles with it, you still have the three bottles, (and one broken one), you know that you can't use the broken one as that will never work. So when ever any one asks you where the "original red bottle of ink" is, (remap) you just point them to the spare bottle that you filled. so you still have a red, green and blue bottle.....

Kinda like this in a way.....

Hope it can be fixed mate.

Back