Trying to update dash for Kinect(Jtag)

Oily

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
As title suggests I'm trying to update the dash so I can play Kinect Sports Season 2.

I've down loaded 360 multi builder V0.5 and placed my original nand(renamed nanddump.bin) and my cpu key in the 'my360' folder,opened up the program,press 5 for Jasper and it says 'can't find file 'nanddump.bin' ?

Where do I go from here?

Do you have file extensions showing ?

Maybe you named it nanddump.bin.bin ,

h__p://www.tortuga-cove.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=578

Not using 0.7 ?

Last edited:
Didn't know V0.7 exsisted!

Mines a Falcon not a Jasper as first posted

Just d/l V0.7 now,will give it a go,cheers

Didn't know V0.7 exsisted!

Mines a Falcon not a Jasper as first posted

Just d/l V0.7 now,will give it a go,cheers

Edit,had to remove the .bin and .txt from my files

Cheers cp30

Is your Kinect up and running?

This is not my work but all seemed to go well when I had to update from a really old dash. (there's a post some where) but here is what I followed. (I used nand flasher, you install it to a usb drive put it in your machine, read my nand, built the image and then used nand flasher again to write the nand, after multibuilder had created it)

Okay, after a LOT of reading I finally found out just how easy this process is. So easy, in fact, I guess most just assumed it was common sense. But I like to have to-the-letter understanding before I go screwing with my hardware, and I'm sure lots of you out there new to the modding scene feel the same way.

Before I begin I need to make one thing clear: This *should* work for furure updates also, but there's never any telling what MS has in store so always, ALWAYS make sure future updates are *safe* to use before you go to it. We can't go on live anyway with these systems so there's no point being all bleeding edge about it, and winding accidentally jacking up your precious system that you worked so hard to glitch!

This means that for now, this TUT is for 14699 only, for those of us with RGH consoles. It might be the same for JTAG but since I don't own one I can't claim that it will work, or that there isn't some additional steps involved with those. I only know that this worked perfectly on my RGH'd Phat Jasper 512 with no issues whatsoever.

1) First, get ahold of 360 multi builder 0.5 <-- Pay attention, that version number is what you want, not an earlier one. It has all the 14699 goodness built-in.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: 360 multi-builder 0.6 is out now, if you have any issues with 0.5 try then new one. Rogero says 0.5 is still fine to use however. For more info see the 360 multi-builder thread (stickied).

2) You can use either your original nand dump, or the nandflash.bin that you have from the last time you used 360 multi builder. Rename it to nanddump.bin and place it into 360 multi builder/data/my360
You also want a text file containing only your cpu key, call it cpukey.txt and put it in the same folder as your nanddump.bin

3) If you are familiar with 360 multi builder than you know how easy this step is. Just run the run.exe and follow the instructions. Choose glitch image, then let it build an image with dashlaunch patches.

4) In your 360_muti_builder_0.5/data folder you will now have nandflash.bin. Copy it and the file xenon.elf onto the root of a blank flash drive.

5) Plug it into your 360 and boot into xell (that means power on the 360 with the eject button) and let it do it's thing. Once it's done it'll say power off now or some such, just shut it off for now.

6) Unplug the flash drive, and THIS PART IS IMPORTANT! Power cycle your xbox. This means unplugging the power from the back of the 360 and waiting like a minute. Plug the power back in, power on, and

7) You should now be in new dash. But wait, why are the avatars just sillhouettes? We'll fix that right now.

8) Take your flash drive (the one you just used) plug it into your computer and delete the xenon.elf and nandflash.bin, then put the official ms update (you know where to get that, right?) onto the flash drive. Note that you have to unzip the update after download, and put the extracted folder renamed to $$ystemUpdate on the flash drive.
Dashlaunch ignoressystem updates so we need to rename it so dashlaunch can see it to EXACTLY this:
$$ystemUpdate
^^^^^ this needs to be the only thing on your flash drive
Unplug from computer and plug into your 360
(I didn't power my 360 off when I stuck in the usb and it saw the update right away. If that doesn't happen to you, reboot into nxe and it should pick it up and prompt you)
If it STILL won't detect the update, try $systemupdate <--- If this works, your dashlaunch.ini is not configured to block MS updates, and you should look into changing that! (Thanks goes to frayed for pointing this out)

9) It does it's thing, restarts automagically, and BOOM! Your in the new dash, and your avatars look like they did before now.
smile.gif

10) Explore the new dash! I really like it, it's much better for larger screens.

Hope this helps someone out there!

Cheers Dibbers,I'll have a go once I can back the TV after the soaps have finished :grayyawn:

I'm getting a 'transfer error' using my USB reader/8gb mini sd card?Card is formatted to fat32 (with the nandflash and xenon elf file on it)

When do you get that error?

Have you got another USB key that you can use, rather than a mini sd card, it might not be compatible.....did you use nand flasher and download your nand? before building it? or are you using one that you had before hand? and are you putting the files on the root of the USB?

When do you get that error?

When Xell has finished,it sees the USB card reader but then won't continue due to the transfer error
Have you got another USB key that you can use, rather than a mini sd card, it might not be compatible.....
Trying to find another one but the kids take them to school and I never see 'em again!
did you use nand flasher and download your nand? before building it? or are you using one that you had before hand?
I'm using the original nand
and are you putting the files on the root of the USB?
Yes,both files on the root of the USB
I'm not sure if I'm using the correct file though?In the 'data' folder there are 2 files,one is named nandflash and the other is named nandflash.bin(a text file)Which one do I use(I've been using the nandflash file)
Thanks for the help everyone

Last edited:
Are you trying to create the 14699 image, or trying to flash it?

Are you trying to create the 14699 image, or trying to flash it?

I'm just following the instructions that Dibbers posted so I guess I've built the image using multibuilder then I want to flash it,sorry if that seems a bit lame but it's all new to me and I know I'm on a steep learning curve but we've all gotta start somewhere

Just dumped my nand again using "nand flasher" for the xbox 360, it's created a nand called orig_nand.bin, so changed the name of it too "nanddump.bin" and then copied that to the multibuilder folder, data, my 360, also copied my cpukey.txt file into there as well with the CPU key. (I had to create this my self from booting into xell and getting it from the screen)

Then when I run "multibuilder.exe" it asks me what dashboard and if I want to create it with "installer" then after it's finished it's created me a "nandflash.bin and also a xenon.elf (mine is a really old xenon, or should I say still is..! with the new dash on)

You getting this far mate? and it's then when your trying to load xell that your getting that error?)

I've attached "nand Flasher" should you want to give it a go? (I know you have a nand but this way your getting the one straight off your machine, it also reads and checks for bad blocks, just copy it over to the root of your usb stick and then run xex menu and then locate the program on the usb stick and run it and you should see the screen below where you can do a fresh dump)

Have you got file extensions enabled in windows so the dot."whatever" is editable?

NANDFlasher360.jpg

Attachments

• NAND Flasher 360 for XBOX 360 v1.2.0.rar
    7.6 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
before you write your nand back though, just check back and make sure it's created your image etc with out any errors mate, I'd hate you to goof it up. (I'm no pro on this like, as the bods will confirm! and only know it off doing mine mate...lol)

I've just wrote my nand,2 bad blocks(what ever that means!)used it in multibuilder etc but I'm still getting this error:

Attachments

• IMG_0304.JPG
    IMG_0304.JPG
    729.7 KB · Views: 8
Back