Sensible Topic Scottish Independence worth £500

...So until or if the British/UK government decide that it is possible to hold both British and Scottish Citizenship, any Scots living in the UK will be Illegal Immigrants !!...
Publicly, the Government appear to have their heads buried in the sand.

However, there will be reports - if not fully drafted white papers - on senior civil servants' desks about most of these issues. So that in, the event of a Yes majority, such things would be sorted by the 24th March 2016... hopefully ;)

Publicly, the Government appear to have their heads buried in the sand.

However, there will be reports - if not fully drafted white papers - on senior civil servants' desks about most of these issues. So that in, the event of a Yes majority, such things would be sorted by the 24th March 2016... hopefully ;)

Unfortunately, therein lies the problem, such thing probably will be sorted out by 24th March 2016.
But, in what way ? If the UK government decides to oppose all of the assumed actions that Mr Salmond has taken as a done deal then there will be great problems for Scots on both sides of the Border.
Don't get me wrong, I believe that Mr Salmond has made great strides for Scotland with many of the changes of policy made by the Scottish Parliament in relation to the UK parliament policies, but to believe that Scotland as a seperate nation will be stronger and better than as part of the UK is lunacy.
A Scotland with a bigger say in UK policies that affect the whole of the UK is the way forward, not just for Scotland but for the whole of the UK, by strengthening the call that the UK is not just London.

Unfortunately, therein lies the problem, such thing probably will be sorted out by 24th March 2016.
But, in what way ? If the UK government decides to oppose all of the assumed actions that Mr Salmond has taken as a done deal then there will be great problems for Scots on both sides of the Border.
Don't get me wrong, I believe that Mr Salmond has made great strides for Scotland with many of the changes of policy made by the Scottish Parliament in relation to the UK parliament policies, but to believe that Scotland as a seperate nation will be stronger and better than as part of the UK is lunacy.
A Scotland with a bigger say in UK policies that affect the whole of the UK is the way forward, not just for Scotland but for the whole of the UK, by strengthening the call that the UK is not just London.

That is your opinion but it now appears that there could possibly be 50 plus % of the Scottish population that disagree with you.

That is your opinion but it now appears that there could possibly be 50 plus % of the Scottish population that disagree with you.

That is why it worries me, and I also believe that a large number of the "Yes" voters will be the 16 and 17 year olds who would not normally be able to vote and in many cases will not understand or even care about the possible ramifications that could follow.

Our current intake of career politicians are too busy squabbling about dogma to run the UK for the benefit of the electorate.

They will have no problems when to UK goes t*ts up. They have their gold plated pensions and offshore savings to keep them safe.

I just have around 76 years of experience of how this country has been reduced to an almost third world status by our

incompetent elected politicians. All I know is that the status quo is not very promising.
What I cannot understand is WHY all the UK politicians, big business and celebrities are so against a yes vote. ?

I think you have already answered your later question,......... they don't want any change.

After much flag waving and bluster from both sides (the usual political game), and if the collective polls are right, the Scots seem to have
settled into roughly equal opposing camps, both of which "think" they might know what's best for Scotland.
The final decision will probably rest with the ones who don't have a bloody clue yet, they still need to download some app or other,
or consult Facebook.:)

Better Together? Probably not, we're pulling in opposite directions on many issues, and with the current political set up,
little change is likely for either. Separation will allow each to, at least have the opportunity to go it's own way, for better or worse.

I'm thinking mainly of the differing EU membership attitudes, which, to me, makes Scottish Independence token window dressing.
I doubt if the separation would be amicable, but if / when the horse trading starts, I believe Scotland wants more immigrants.
We have an abundance of "entrepreneurs", and general trouble makers, awaiting relocation. How many do you want?:Biggrin2:

I have heard that 2 British companies have told top staff in Glasgow and Edinburgh that they should put in for transfers to England as there might not be a branch in Scotland after a yes vote! So where does it leave the worker bees?

Scottish homeowners face mortgage meltdown if Yes campaign wins - Telegraph

Scottish homeowners face mortgage meltdown if Yes campaign wins

Home rule? Scotland’s voters are betting the house on independence but they're unaware of the foreign exchange risks to their mortgages

Scottish homeowners beware – a Yes vote for independence on September 18 will have dramatic consequences for your monthly mortgage repayments.

Chancellor George Osborne has made it quite clear that keeping the pound is not an option open to Alex Salmond should he succeed in breaking Scotland away from the 300-year-old Union. Adopting a policy of “sterlingisation”, whereby the Scots would keep the pound without a formal currency union, is unlikely and furthermore would prevent Edinburgh from joining the European Union.

Scotland would possibly have to create an entirely new currency, which would present a potentially nightmare scenario for anyone living north of the River Tweed with a mortgage that is denominated in sterling.

If a new independent Scottish currency were allowed to float freely on international markets, then millions of Scottish homeowners could eventually see their monthly payments increase due to the significant foreign exchange rate risk that they would be exposed to. They would also be exposed to the Bank of England increasing interest rates south of the border, further adding to the cost of servicing Scottish mortgage debt irrespective of the independent country’s new set of economic circumstances.

“Terms and conditions of a mortgage loan would be likely to remain the same but, if the loan payments are taken in sterling, then suddenly the borrower has a major conversion issue if they’re suddenly being paid in a new Scottish currency,” said David Hollingworth, from broker London and Country Mortgages. “They would not only be subject to interest

Remember the Chinese curse? May you live in interesting times. It does not mean it is a good thing!

Wow! The report that the YES side were ahead of the NOs today certainly made our esteemed Westminster politicians sit up and take serious note! A statement from the Chancellor of the Exchequer.! The stock and currency markets and also appear to be in a quandry. How can a super, dead brilliant, wee country provoke such a response? Could it be that without Scotland and its resources, the markets are bit jittery about the financial security of the remaining part of the UK? Interesting...........

Wow! The report that the YES side were ahead of the NOs today certainly made our esteemed Westminster politicians sit up and take serious note! A statement from the Chancellor of the Exchequer.! The stock and currency markets and also appear to be in a quandry. How can a super, dead brilliant, wee country provoke such a response? Could it be that without Scotland and its resources, the markets are bit jittery about the financial security of the remaining part of the UK? Interesting...........

In a word - uncertainty - markets hate it.

Wow! The report that the YES side were ahead of the NOs today certainly made our esteemed Westminster politicians sit up and take serious note!..

The offering makes a Yes vote more likely imho since the offer made in response to the polling would be the least Scots could expect if there was a No vote. So why not just vote Yes and be in a stronger position?

The offering makes a Yes vote more likely imho since the offer made in response to the polling would be the least Scots could expect if there was a No vote. So why not just vote Yes and be in a stronger position?
They're only in a bargaining position if it's a weak majority to the No campaign.

If there is a yes majority, Scotland are leaving the union...

The more powers offer is just going to be a timetable of when (if) Scotland gets the powers that have already been agreed to in the Scotland Act.
Westminster can't offer anything new because of the Edinburgh Agreement, (that both Governments signed), which forbids any changes to already offered packages from 28 days before the Referendum.
So what both sides put on the table, they have to stick with 'til the vote on the 18th Sept.

Back