Fecking Car Insurance

I def agree with pass plus but problem with your idea is how could the police know if young drivers have took it without pulling all of them over and checking, i think motoway experience needs to be part of learning, but i could see this been quite difficult to introduce.

I def agree with pass plus but problem with your idea is how could the police know if young drivers have took it without pulling all of them over and checking, i think motoway experience needs to be part of learning, but i could see this been quite difficult to introduce.

You will be surprised at what the police can do with just a quick search of your number plate, it can bring all your details up in a flash.

should be like motorbikes cc restricted to certain ages so say under 21 upto 1000cc car, cant believe a 17yr old can drive any car if got the moneys

should be like motorbikes cc restricted to certain ages so say under 21 upto 1000cc car, cant believe a 17yr old can drive any car if got the moneys
Great idea, until some smart arse starts to de-strict them. There was some very dodgy FS1e's in my days. Good old Yamaha. ;)

seems like the black box is going to be the only way to get insurance down for young drivers but it wont be long before insurance companies start picking up on minor things to creep the price back up. restricted engine size, pass plus and insurance bonus schemes seem more reasonable to me

£2000 a year might not be too bad for a car worth £5000 but how can it be so high on a car only worth £500.

The problem isn't' your car but all those fookers you hit. Else you would just buy third party cover.

As I said whiplash is 3 grand, you also get billed if you damage council property like lamp posts. Even an ride in the ambulance is billable

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I have seen lots of youngsters out on the road with top of the range sports cars. How the hell can they afford the insurance? .
simple mate...become a drug dealer..most kids round my area who drive flash cars are dealers...and i dont mean car dealers...lol...im not surprised insurance companies ripping people off read THIS

Last edited:
Zurich insurance used to do a offer where if you insure with them for 6 months they give you a years no claims if you then renew for the next six months they give you a bonus of another years NCD, so after 12 months you have 2 years NCB, i did this when i passed it cost me £800 for six months on a 1ltr corsa but then after a year i was paying £800 a year and my mates where still paying £1400 plus so it could be worth seein if they still do that offer.

Zurich have run that scheme for at least 40 years; that was my first car insurance, £50 a year for an Austin Cambridge A55 Mk2 think it was about a 1600cc and had cost me £25.
Unfortunately after I had stayed with them for 2 years the premiums start to rise quickly.
I would never go with any company underwritten by LLoyds of London, because they have no affiliation to the Insurance Ombudsman and are a law unto themselves, so if you have problems with them tough ! what they decide is what you have to accept.
I still believe that the car's registered owner as main driver and new driver as named driver with a company offerering seperate no claims discount earned to the named driver as well is the route to take.
I'm pretty sure that Direct Line or the Co-op do it and there are a couple of others.

I still believe that the car's registered owner as main driver and new driver as named driver with a company offerering seperate no claims discount earned to the named driver as well is the route to take.
I'm pretty sure that Direct Line or the Co-op do it and there are a couple of others.

Churchill do it as well.

getting the no claims as a named driver is a rip off. it only counts if you stay with the company you earned it with. found that out with my daughter on the wifes insurances. the best way is for her to be main driver and then you and your wife as named drivers. daughter`s got a micra, on a w reg, built like a tank only a 1 litre engine , hers started off at 1400 with the wife as a named driver came down to 900 and with me on as well under 800. not bad to say she was 20 with no no-claims of her own. also you have to search about for best deal. think her renewal this year was under 500. also she got a 0% credit card and paid the premium off in one , which is cheaper and then just divided the insurance into 12 equal payments , and no she doesn`t have access to the card lol thats locked upstairs so its just for her insurance

£2000 a year might not be too bad for a car worth £5000 but how can it be so high on a car only worth £500. I dont think its fair to punish all young drivers i think the reason for most accidents is because driving tests are too easy to pass. I passed my test after a week of learning to drive, in total i had 12 hours on the road i then did my test and passed with 4 minors, i personally thought it was riduculas to pass so quick but i just obeyed the rules, the instructor taught me how to pass my test. I had never drove in rain i hadn't drove at night, i never experienced ice or snow. I think they should make all young drivers learn in all the conditions before having a test. I think insurance compaines should also have a bonus scheme like zurich did it motivates you to drive responsibly.

The reason for that is a £500 car does as much damage as a £5000 car if it were to rear end a Rolls Royce or a Ferrari.
The premium isn't just to cover the cost of repairs to your own vehicle but also to cover the cost of damage inflicted.

The sad fact is that the prices will just keep getting higher until the government do something and i doubt they will as they are in on it too.
When i first passed i was the first one in my family. ma and pa dont drive so couldnt go on anyones policy. so decided for the first few years just to pay the premium.
sometimes you have to pay for the privilage.
even to this day after 12 years no claims, im still paying around 700 a year.

I didnt realise the insurance grouping had changed! just checked my car and didnt know what to think.

I didnt realise the insurance grouping had changed! just checked my car and didnt know what to think.

The groupings haven't changed but they have introduced a second table of groupings (Probably in preparation of dumping the old table).
The old table lists it's groups 1 to 20 and the new table lists it's group 1 to 50, no doubt another way to confuse and abuse those who have to pay.

any young drivers, just look at insurethebox or similar, they come out put a box in, even if they aren't too cheap, if they drive well for the first year, the second year the insurance plummets. source = experience . lol

any young drivers, just look at insurethebox or similar, they come out put a box in, even if they aren't too cheap, if they drive well for the first year, the second year the insurance plummets. source = experience . lol

A good idea yes?. but you are limited as to when you can go out. I have just been told by an independent insurance company that if I nip out in her car with a box fitted or if I move it out of the way of the path or if you get called out to a family crisis during off peak times, you, your wife or your kids would be penalised for it and three strikes and you are out. So basically it is like having an ASBO isn't it?.

A good idea yes?. but you are limited as to when you can go out. I have just been told by an independent insurance company that if I nip out in her car with a box fitted or if I move it out of the way of the path or if you get called out to a family crisis during off peak times, you, your wife or your kids would be penalised for it and three strikes and you are out. So basically it is like having an ASBO isn't it?.

it depends on the insurance. insurethebox do have peak time guidelines, but they affect your "Bonus Miles" at the end of each month they give you more miles based on how well you drive, which takes into account, speed, time, alertness etc, plus other bonuses are, if you have a crash with the box fitted, it calculates whos fault it was and are used very often in insurance claims to prove innocence.

my wife has it set up in her new ka, and she gets around 88-90 out of 100 bonus miles each month and now its on renewal its 45% cheaper than last year, and we have had no issues with them at all.

it depends on the insurance. insurethebox do have peak time guidelines, but they affect your "Bonus Miles" at the end of each month they give you more miles based on how well you drive, which takes into account, speed, time, alertness etc, plus other bonuses are, if you have a crash with the box fitted, it calculates whos fault it was and are used very often in insurance claims to prove innocence.

my wife has it set up in her new ka, and she gets around 88-90 out of 100 bonus miles each month and now its on renewal its 45% cheaper than last year, and we have had no issues with them at all.

But what if its a shared vehicle, no two people drive the same way? ie speed, cornering, ect. Will the more experienced driver be punishing the new driver for there own errors or not mate?.

But what if its a shared vehicle, no two people drive the same way? ie speed, cornering, ect. Will the more experienced driver be punishing the new driver for there own errors or not mate?.

well, there's only so much they can do.
If you want to share a vehicle and you think one person is punishing the other, make them pay more, I think that is your only work around.
If not, get a standard insurer, I am just suggesting these for people with high premiums as they can massively reduce the price, especially for younger drivers.

well, there's only so much they can do.
If you want to share a vehicle and you think one person is punishing the other, make them pay more, I think that is your only work around.
If not, get a standard insurer, I am just suggesting these for people with high premiums as they can massively reduce the price, especially for younger drivers.

Not quite M8 if you drive during the period 8-9PM you lose the bonus miles for that period you can buy more miles or earn more by shopping on line using the website if you need more than the basic 6000mls allowance plus the bonus mls you earn by driving well

only hard braking acceleration is counted against you and you shouldn't drive like that anyway it is hard on the fuel consumption

Last edited:
Back