Computer not power up

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at a PC for a relative and its dead. I checked the PSU with a meter using a jumper wire and it works fine bar, when I wiggle the main conntecotr to mobo while powered the fan goes on-off so I decided to change the PSU out a simple enough job. I picked a recon up for £15 and checked before installing the same way and all's well but after installing it's dead. I did take the front header jumpers out from the mobo as they were wrapped around a sata so I'm not 100% how they went back. I did take pictures before hand but a friggin cable got in the way so I cant tell how their meant to go back in.

Ive just been on the net and got the PDF for the mobo. Can someone take a look and tell me if I right or not. Some on the net sat white is not always the negative so I'm a bit confused. Someone might might spot a problem. also, the green white to is the power for the front.20210121_150413.jpg20210121_150728.jpg

Solution
I'm not sure if I have the know how to do much more. Swapping out parts PSU ram bit n bobs and metering the odd thing or two is about my level, anything after that it's out my league. I've found an identical 2nd hand motherboard same revision the lot for £20 so I might opt for that for them now that I know the PSU is fine.

If anyone else has any idea's please post as it will be in the machine for around a week.
Big thanks to all who posted
A £20 replacement is a no brainer silverdale. Parts and time are worth a lot more than that. Get your relative's pc up and running and play with the faulty board at your leisure.
@silverdale, just for laughs, unplug the reset button. Maybe a faulty reset switch is keeping it in reset.

Strange that wiggling the main power connector makes the fan spin though.
If you mean pull the reset off the front header panel jumpers on the mobo then boot just tried it plus I tried both reset and power and bridged the power with a screwdriver still the same.

On your pic the 4pin plug top left on the M/B

Looks like it should be a 8pin check your PSU for one

PSU8pin.PNG

Ive always left them all unplugged. I unplugged the rest pumper but left the power jumper plugged in and nothing no beeps or fan spinning. I left the reset jumper off and unplugged the power jumper and bridged the 2 pins with a screwdriver so the front of the PC buttons have no control , turned on still dead no noises fans or beeps. I've even changed out the CMOS for the sake of it.

I'm open to idea's anything tbh that I can physically do. Would a faulty CPU fan stop it or would I get a beep warning ?. I read up on breadboarding to see if that makes a sod of difference.

On your pic the 4pin plug top left on the M/B

Looks like it should be a 8pin check your PSU for one

View attachment 132251
this one ? when I bought the new PSU unit I bought like for like and took pics of the board before I jumped in. That was always a 4 pin at the bottom and the new PSU only has a 4. No one had been in so I would take it thats the case a 4 pin and the top 4 slots remain unused

Attachments

• 20210122_103711.jpg
    20210122_103711.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 12
There are surface mount fuses on those boards, usually shown in the manual.

Might be worth testing in case the last PSU did something to them. I'm still concerned about the connector wiggle thing, does it still do that?

There are surface mount fuses on those boards, usually shown in the manual.

Might be worth testing in case the last PSU did something to them. I'm still concerned about the connector wiggle thing, does it still do that?
Put the 8pin one in and try got nothing to lose
I will have to find those fuses not sure were they are and as for the wiggle thing? no, it doesn't do it no more. I think there was a dodgey wire going into the plug. If you pulled the wires back it would stop, push them into the plug worked. As though the metal connector holding the wire was loose or something but the new powers fine not amount of wigging turns it on off when using a jumper.

as for using the 8 pin ? there is no 8 pin CPU socket black/yellow coming out the PSU only one with 4 on it20210122_110545.jpg. only one question, whats this one for ? spare ?. Please don't say "You bellend that fgoes in the .....to power the system up !!"

I will have to find those fuses not sure were they are and as for the wiggle thing? no, it doesn't do it no more. I think there was a dodgey wire going into the plug. If you pulled the wires back it would stop, push them into the plug worked. As though the metal connector holding the wire was loose or something but the new powers fine not amount of wigging turns it on off when using a jumper.

as for using the 8 pin ? there is no 8 pin CPU socket black/yellow coming out the PSU only one with 4 on itView attachment 132254. only one question, whats this one for ? spare ?. Please don't say "You bellend that fgoes in the .....to power the system up !!"

That's a floppy drive power cable. Spud meant one of the main power connectors.

Fuses are marked F1, F2... in the manual and on the board, usually.

Just out of curiosity, would revisions in motherboards make a difference on boot? I've spotted one the exact same bar this is a 1.1 this is a 1.0

Just out of curiosity, would revisions in motherboards make a difference on boot? I've spotted one the exact same bar this is a 1.1 this is a 1.0
Depends what they changed but that is a minor revision. Probably not much difference, shipped with newer BIOS, SATA controller...

I asked the guy he said he'd done it and had no problems. Or, shall I just take it up to a shop I know and let them go over it

I've gone over it to the best of my ability and tbh I'm at the point were I don't know what I'm actually doing or what I'm looking for.
I can't see anything with F1 or F2 lots of surface mounts. I'm no electrical engineer, swapping parts out and basic checks (thanks all) yeah I'll have a go but diagnosing I find hard to understand.

I asked the guy he said he'd done it and had no problems. Or, shall I just take it up to a shop I know and let them go over it

I've gone over it to the best of my ability and tbh I'm at the point were I don't know what I'm actually doing or what I'm looking for.
I can't see anything with F1 or F2 lots of surface mounts. I'm no electrical engineer, swapping parts out and basic checks (thanks all) yeah I'll have a go but diagnosing I find hard to understand.
I've replaced Gigabyte boards with minor revision changes and used the same OS HDD. Was at university and didn't have time for reinstall.

hey silverdale, had this problem the other day on a different board, i found that the super i/o chip was at fault, this is what i did, take out all the connecters the memory too all you need to plug in is the power supply main plug not the cpu power, that's the 4 pin one leave the cpu in and fan plugged in, now short the wire on the psu so the psu turns on with a paper clip or what ever, this will put power into the board the fan will probably spin on the cpu, then just see if the super i/o chip is getting hot that would be the chip to back of the usb ports on the board is got ITE written on it, you could check it without doing this i suppose, if you can find the pin out for the chip, or even check a few of the caps around that chip see if ya get a short. Just thought i would share this with ya worth a shot, only try this if ya confident about it other wise just get a new MB probably not worth getting it fixed. Think i have a am2 socket board knocking about seems to have vga out not hdmi, yours if ya want it, if ya cant figure it out.

cheers

Focus

Just had a go only snag is the CPU fan draws power from the mobo so using the jumper it wont have a feed.

Back