chookey's Motorised Install

What sat is it aimed at in that pic 28e?
Just trying to work out ref that sky dish.
Is it on usals?
Yes, it's at 28.2 on usals. Pretty much in line with the Sky dish below it which I've spruced up a bit. I'll scan that small dish in again on 28 and use it again through the switch.
She appeared to have no idea about the switch and tried to tell me I would only get vertical through it which is another thing I put her right on.

I need to do some elimination testing anyway as I'm getting frequent momentary audio dropout. Occasionally the video will freeze for a second as well. Not sure if it's alignment problem though. Seems more likely to be the box

Looking at that angle of motor to Sky dishes in background it looks much further east than 28e. I would doubt it was set up on 0.8w as reference satellite, as I would expect the motor to be fixed further clockwise around the pole (away from the wall).
No need to use 0.8w as reference if using usals, can set up on any sat. 0.8w if indeed its your ref sat is only really needed if setting up on diseqc, usals does it all itself once set up correct

I have known Sly sat installers to use diseqc to align to 28E for motorised systems then switch to USALS which won't track the arc accurately.

Ive set up loads of small dishes on motors for football mates and relatives, various reasons for that. Main one on new private estates around me they are only allowed a sky dish for the look of the estate. Its in the sale agreement. So i sling up motorized zone 2 dishes on a short hockey stick to get around it.

With that setup i always send dish via usuals to 28e as it is easier to find and peak i then send dish to 0.8 west and fine tune it. Using usuals you have no need to worry about true south as the coordinates from the receiver sorts that. My motor installs track the arc like perfectly.

Im in the process of buying again.
Last time i had a motorised dish was back in the d2mac days..
There was no such thing as dish pointer apps, usuals... etc

My set up was a 1 meter dish, jack actuator, LNB and Polariser and a echostar receiver.

From reading this thread things seem much much easier to align a dish now.

unfortunately i can only have an 80cm dish where i live now, i know 1 meter was better back in the day for 0.8 etc, but is 80cm good enough these days for good reception in the midlands?

Last edited:

My set up was a 1 meter dish, jack actuator, LNB and Polariser and a echostar receiver.

unfortunately i can only have an 80cm dish where i live now, i know 1 meter was better back in the day for 0.8 etc, but is 80cm good enough these days for good reception in the midlands?
80cm gets more than you think these days mate. New more powerful sats at positions you will have known back there makes the 80cm dish viable for most of the good stuff.

Last edited:

Try for a 88/90 cm no one will know the difference

Got another company coming round tomorrow to survey and give a no obligation quote. Trying this one.
I will insist on the T&K brackets being used and see if he thinks a 4' scaffold pole is suitable. If not I would hope he carries some longer lengths with him.

I actually called them before the other firm but the engineer who arrived was an aerial man, not a motorised sat installer. It sort of put me off so I opted to get clueless people in instead. 😂

Watch this space for episode 3 ;)

Got another company coming round tomorrow to survey and give a no obligation quote. Trying this one.
I will insist on the T&K brackets being used and see if he thinks a 4' scaffold pole is suitable. If not I would hope he carries some longer lengths with him.

I actually called them before the other firm but the engineer who arrived was an aerial man, not a motorised sat installer. It sort of put me off so I opted to get clueless people in instead. 😂

Watch this space for episode 3 ;)
Lets hope this lead to a decent tracking of your available arc mate 👍

I've moved twice in the past 2 years and took mine with me. It's all about the poles-brackets been plumb, and when I say plumb I mean plumb.
If you don't get them absolute bang on everything else is near impossible and the dish will not travel the arc.

Had a phone call from them prior to showing up. Thought I best ask if he was a motorised sat installer following my previous experience, he wasn't. He then asked if it were for my home or caravan. What was the point in me detailing my requirements when they don't pass it on to the suitably qualified person??
He suggested that they don't have motorised installers which conflicts with their website spiel.

This is one of those companies who employ local tradesman to do the actual job. Website called Mike Harris but the woman answered as Aerials United or similar. Reckon they must just take a percentage and forward the rest on to the person that does the job.
I'll need to look again. Failing that I will construct a small platform from my shed to the wall and do it my bloody self. It wouldn't be wise for me to climb a ladder 😂

Had a phone call from them prior to showing up. Thought I best ask if he was a motorised sat installer following my previous experience, he wasn't. He then asked if it were for my home or caravan. What was the point in me detailing my requirements when they don't pass it on to the suitably qualified person??
He suggested that they don't have motorised installers which conflicts with their website spiel.

This is one of those companies who employ local tradesman to do the actual job. Website called Mike Harris but the woman answered as Aerials United or similar. Reckon they must just take a percentage and forward the rest on to the person that does the job.
I'll need to look again. Failing that I will construct a small platform from my shed to the wall and do it my bloody self. It wouldn't be wise for me to climb a ladder 😂
Ask @silverdale maybe he can help, Make it worth his while to fit it correctly for you.

Can't say I'm an expert but I've done mine a few times just because I'm a tight wad.

What I did was,
I undid the dish, motor and pole but left it altogether then in the next house I drilled a 10mm hole way above and put a decent sized eyelet screw in and hauled it up on a rope .
I tied it up and lowered it down, that's after I made sure the bracket was up first.
I do have a ground mount stand somewhere that I never used due to a huge tree that blocked the line in summer.
I set it south via a compass but I didn't have any signal testers so i stuck an old portable TV in the bedroom window thats right next to the dish and step searched moved it to 0.8w and a freeview channel BBC or something.

Once I had that I span it left east west and with a tiny bit of tweaking I got it bang on.

@manic01 I don't mind fcukin my own up if it comes crashing to earth but someone else's ?. All's I'm saying is you can DIY it. The video were the guys installing on a white garden wall is what I used

Fitting and aligning a dish isn't the problem. Going up a ladder since I became ill is.
I have mobility issues and extreme fatigue, not a great combination.

However I am going to make an attempt. I have to do it when I'm feeling good and hope it lasts till the job's finished.
Watch this space for episode 4..... 😂

Fitting and aligning a dish isn't the problem. Going up a ladder since I became ill is.
I have mobility issues and extreme fatigue, not a great combination.

However I am going to make an attempt. I have to do it when I'm feeling good and hope it lasts till the job's finished.
Watch this space for episode 4..... 😂
Better wait for an installer matey. Not worth the risk especially as weather getting iffy at times.

I'll make sure to keep him away from my tv 😂 😂 😂
To be fair accidents do happen and at least he was fully insured and has apologised. Not sure how the wrong fixings were used, we don't know the whole story. You will soon know if he knows what hes doing ref motorised set up.
His other reviews are excellent.

Back