Council that got it right

JonMMM

Elite Member
Reaction score
So I got made redundant in August, the company went bust they over spent on themselves and did not pay their taxes. The property we were in was rented on our behalf by the company as my credit rating was not great. At the time I was made redundant the landlord decided to put the rent up by 40% and would also no put it in our name so we could not claim benefits.

Basically we were pushed into the position of not paying rent, and the council said we had to live there until evicted.

The back story is that we also missed out on some housing association properties as my wife is disabled and needs a wet room and wheelchair accessible doors.

so 15th December we went to court and got an eviction order (with no fault) 20th December we were given Temporary Accommodation ( a studio flat for the wife my 12 year old daughter and myself, not ideal but far better than being on the streets.)

19th January We have a 2 bed adapted property from a housing association with a 1 year contract followed by a life long contract .

We were expecting to be in the temporary accommodation for a minimum of 6 months.

Also need to point out that we are white British, Live in Kent so all this idea that the council only look after immigrants is rubbish.

I only have praise for the homeless team and the managers of the temporary accommodation.

The last month has been difficult but could have been so much worse

Just as Avid said, i really hope things continue to improve.
Keep us upto date...
Best of luck for you mate.

What a nightmare m8 hope everything turns out better soon

Tough times for youse @JonMMM hopefully thru the worst of it now & things pick up for ye 🤞
HH.

Thank you all for your kind words.

Things are now very good, we have the keys to the new property and we are decorating while we wait for our furniture to be returned from storage.

Work wise things are even better after being made redundant I started my own business with the clients from the old company, which is going really well. With housing now sorted 2024 could be the best year for us.

Awesome that things have been sorted for you mate. It restores a bit of faith in the system Good luck going forward

Last night in temporary accommodation, and only as our furniture can't be delivered till tomorrow, we have used the week to decorate.

The relief is so profound its untrue, and the gratitude I owe to my USA inlaws for support and help with removal costs.

The system is difficult, but our experience has been if you are in genuine need it is there for you, what you get in temporary housing may not be ideal, but the alternatives are far worse.

In our case we have only had to be in temporary accommodation for a month for some families it can be years.

The whole thing has been an eye opener, beds cooker, washing machine are provided. But no chest of draws tables chairs etc. We were lucky we had these, but the things I have scrapped before are what people need. I saw a woman cry when given a 3 draw chest of draws that I thought was junk, and then say that what about the kids rjat need it?

Please don't just junk furniture look to refugess etc.

So this is me signing off in my homeless journal and looking around and knowing that I and my family are extremely lucky.

Will post some pics soon

So we are fully moved in furniture and boxes unpacked. Living room and bedrooms decorated (hall Kitchen and bathroom can wait). So now we just have to pay our rent on time for the next year and we get a lifetime tenancy.

Had a few teething problems, took a week to get the gas turned on, built in oven not working they sent out an "engineer" who pulled it out and said the reason its not working is because its not connected, but I'm not an electrician so cant do it - why send someone not qualified to look at an electric oven?

When they put new shower panels up they left cement dust on the wet room floor which got wet and is stuck to the floor (using vinegar and water and scrubbing to move it, it works but really hard - if anyone knows a better way please let me know.

Shaving lamp in bathroom not working - I would guess its not connected either.

But none of that is really important it will get sorted and we have a safe roomy comfortable amazing place to live.

built in oven not working

You would be better getting yourself an Air fryer oven for most day to day meals, you will save a fortune on electric. Obviously sometimes you will need the big oven.

You would be better getting yourself an Air fryer oven for most day to day meals, you will save a fortune on electric. Obviously sometimes you will need the big oven.
Have a ninja foodi an a uten, love them both but no good for a large pulled pork joint etc.

I would phone the council again and ask for a electrician to sort out the oven ? If the conector box is already in its just 3 wires to connect , turn the electric off first

Have called the housing association it will be fixed by the 6th Feb, could quite happily do it myself CG 1 and 2 and AM1 from 30 odd years ago but would not be insured

Back