Zafira 60 plate steering prob?

worrying thing is i think the break fluid is mega low as well? lol FFS its a new car!! lol

worrying thing is i think the break fluid is mega low as well? lol FFS its a new car!! lol

If it is brake fluid (pretty sure that is), then it has a min + max mark on the side... on LEVEL ground check it mate... might look empty but prob no where near it, does not take a lot of fluid movement to effect the callipers to work once they are bled down right :)

went to turn steering wheel there and the amount of fluid gushing (and i mean gushing) in terms of sound from within steering wheel is unreal never heard anything like it)

to be honest im fully AA covered for first year anyway so just phoned from a safety perspective and they will be out within an hour to check it for me so least its peace of mind, its booked in to garage anyway late next week but least ill know if i need to get them out to tow it ?

turns out its the steering rack they reckon..... still should be covered under warranty..

turns out its the steering rack they reckon..... still should be covered under warranty..

Sounds like it from what you describe mate :( and should deffo be covered under warranty... can't pull the 'wear and tear' card ! What mileage is on it ?

mileage 6000 lol so hardly wear and tear...

the AA cover is good apparantly im not entitled to a hire car etc.. as well

They should provide you with a car while they do the repairs under warrenty!

mileage 6000 lol so hardly wear and tear...

the AA cover is good apparantly im not entitled to a hire car etc.. as well

For a brand new motor to have such a vital component to fail that soon... its not good. I'd demand that they give the car a through check over, almost mot if you like.

I'd also demand a courtesy vehicle, being you do not expect poor workmanship on a brand new car... causing you loss of use. Tell them if they wont give you something to use while its being repaired then you will bill them for cabs/car hire... I'm sure you'd have a case.... !

You now know why I call Vauxhall's... Vauxpiles (o shite) lol

For a brand new motor to have such a vital component to fail that soon... its not good. I'd demand that they give the car a through check over, almost mot if you like.

I'd also demand a courtesy vehicle, being you do not expect poor workmanship on a brand new car... causing you loss of use. Tell them if they wont give you something to use while its being repaired then you will bill them for cabs/car hire... I'm sure you'd have a case.... !

You now know why I call Vauxhall's... Vauxpiles (o shite) lol

lol to be fair had a vectra from new before this and it was great and this has also been excellent.. but just need to wait and see, i get a courtesy car anyway from the AA which is fine..

but yeah i agree if it turns out to be the steering rack ill deffo be asking for a full check..

I wouldn't touch vauxhals with a lump of shit..

My first car was a vauxhal Corsa, from 6 month old the indicators would randomly come on.. The horn wouldnt work.. Took it to vauxhal and wouldnt touch it saying its not covered under wear and tear.

Dismantled the steering wheel (keeping the airbag plugged in) the wiring loom was trapped between the airbag and the steel nut holding the steering wheel in place.. obv over time it was shorting.. asked VX to repair it they wanted £150 LMAO.. Bought a new horn from VX for £15 and fitted it myself..

As for the indicators i never solved that.. ended up taking it to vx as part exchange.. a hole 1 year old LOL.. Then got a Astra.. which again i had for a year.. as the workman ship was piss poor.. Now ive got a ford.. and thats the same.. althought its now a 58 plate.. the inside smells like a door mat thats been left outside all winter.. paid £200 to have the wing resealed (they wanted £600 but got onto ford head office).. but everytime its washed it does the same.. .. will be getting rid.. next year hopefully.. cant afford to keep buying a new car that often.

im sure there was something about this on watchdog last year , that there is a fault with zafira's and there steering. i will try and find it but while writing this i have it in the back of my head that it might be a smaller car but will try to find it out.
im glad in a way that it wasnt what happened to the meriva's in the link below and that it was the rack after all, and yes they should supply you with a replacement car while yours is being fixed, if they dont then that is a very poor service from vaxhaull indeed. if it were me i would demand a car while yours is being fixed and if not then i would ask to speak to the manager of the place and kick up a good stink about it.

found it but it was the marevia and not the zafria so it does not sound like the same problem. im not trying to scare you but heres the link
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2010/09/vauxhall_meriva.html so like i say it isnt to do with the zafira and it doesnt sound like the same
fault as your having.

Last edited:
cheers steve found the isses with meriva when started googling, tbh there will be recalls and issues with most cars even the usually sound jap cars, (last year twice?)

problem now fixed and its fine again... and got a free service when its due later in the year out of it.. so not really too bad at the end of the day.

yeh i know what you mean there Colin about most cars. we had a kia last year and that had to go back as it was blowing blue smoke on start up and sounding like a bag of spanners when started from cold, i know we had a diesel but even so you dont expect new cars to play up like that. i done some detective work on the net and found that there were 5 cars with the same problem in our dealers alone and it didn't stop there.
to cut a long story short, it was a motabilty car and i spoke to there head tech and he agreed with me that new cars should do this sort of thing ( even vids on it on a vid site). was told to get another car but do not go back to the same dealer as they had treated us very badly, i was ordered to have the courtesy car back ( even though they didn't fix our car)at the agreed time but had to ring them up to say i couldn't do it by 5pm that night but i could get it in as soon as they open the next morning ( wife was in hospital and was diagnosed with terminal cancer), so as you can imagine i was a little irate when i went in there to speak to the person about it and spoke to someone else there as i was likely to blow a fuse at the time due to the stress.
some of these garages are a law unto themselves and it gets my back up, especially when they know there in the wrong and dont even fix your car in the first place.

oooooo sorry for the rant.

yeh i know what you mean there Colin about most cars. we had a kia last year and that had to go back as it was blowing blue smoke on start up and sounding like a bag of spanners when started from cold, i know we had a diesel but even so you dont expect new cars to play up like that. i done some detective work on the net and found that there were 5 cars with the same problem in our dealers alone and it didn't stop there.
to cut a long story short, it was a motabilty car and i spoke to there head tech and he agreed with me that new cars should do this sort of thing ( even vids on it on a vid site). was told to get another car but do not go back to the same dealer as they had treated us very badly, i was ordered to have the courtesy car back ( even though they didn't fix our car)at the agreed time but had to ring them up to say i couldn't do it by 5pm that night but i could get it in as soon as they open the next morning ( wife was in hospital and was diagnosed with terminal cancer), so as you can imagine i was a little irate when i went in there to speak to the person about it and spoke to someone else there as i was likely to blow a fuse at the time due to the stress.
some of these garages are a law unto themselves and it gets my back up, especially when they know there in the wrong and dont even fix your car in the first place.

oooooo sorry for the rant.

rant away mate get it of your chest, your right most garages treat us like shit.
sorry to hear about the wife mate

rant away mate get it of your chest, your right most garages treat us like shit.
sorry to hear about the wife mate

cheers mate.
yep its just the lies they give you that wind me up. i told the service chap at the desk i know this is a problem with this model, and to which he told me there wasnt, so i rolled off the names of the people who had there cars (all same model) in with them at the time i went in there. to which he still denied it.
o well we got rid of that now and we are very happy with the car we got now, but will never go to that franchise again though. plus word of mouth is a strong thing too.

cheers anyway and sorry to the op, didnt mean to hijack your thread, but glad you have got it sorted now though.

Back