Youtube not loading properly

Yep more secure that way, I have to agree and I do like Firefox although a few cookies always seem to sneak through, nothing malicious!

Glad it's working as it should again.

It's just such a pity Flash and Java are so full of holes and vulnerable to exploits, I guess they were never written with any security in mind.

There's been some discussion about car safety since Java is used in car Engine Management computer systems, so technically they could be vulnerable too.

Not a nice thought and ta for the reply, Ian.

I suspect it's another example of 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' lol

Browsers - add features, it's bust
Cars - add features, it's bust

I want an option - 'Tick-box, just do the basic sh1t'

:)

Now YouTube on Firefox doesn't work, I've tried opendns and it made no difference, any ideas, anyone.

This usually happens when cache gets corrupted did you in cmd mode do ipconfig/flushdns , try reloading the page pressing ctrl+shift+R to bypass the cache see if it makes a difference, on firefox press tools press advance press network then cache web content press clear now.

This usually happens when cache gets corrupted did you in cmd mode do ipconfig/flushdns , try reloading the page pressing ctrl+shift+R to bypass the cache see if it makes a difference, on firefox press tools press advance press network then cache web content press clear now.

I cleared everything, the only browser YouTube works on now is I.E, for the moment at least.

Does pressing ctrl+shift+R make any difference? Because you say it affects chrome as well I have not suggested it maybe an addon, try starting without any addons press help in firefox menu bar and choose option to start without addons (safe mode), if this does the trick then you can enable/disable addon one at a time to pin point which is causing the problem.

Last edited:
Hi I spotted this post whilst mooching around, could be worth checking out!

I had a little brainstorm: using Coral IE Tab, I got a video playing in an IE window and I right-clicked in the middle of the frame. The Flash Player menu appeared. Just to see what it might do, I thought I'd try changing a setting or two. The first tab was Display and on that was a single check-box with "Hardware acceleration" next to it. It was unchecked, so I checked it. This made no difference and the video continued playing. Then, just to see what might happen, I clicked on the Coral IE Tab icon on the task bar to switch back to Firefox. After the window redrew, LO and BEHOLD!
biggrin.gif
The video frame appeared in the Firefox window! And when I clicked on the Play button the video started playing!!!

At this moment, it looks like all my troubles were caused by video acceleration being turned off.

Regards, Ian.

I think thomasjcat's problem is that the youtube pages are not displaying in the correct readable format, the fix about switching on/off hardware acceleration is when video wouldn't play or that you got a blue screen when you went to full screen.

Does pressing ctrl+shift+R make any difference? Because you say it affects chrome as well I have not suggested it maybe an addon, try starting without any addons press help in firefox menu bar and choose option to start without addons (safe mode), if this does the trick then you can enable/disable addon one at a time to pin point which is causing the problem.

Tried all of that, restarted in safe mode/all add-ons disabled, still the same

looking at your picture of what you get on the web page, it looks like effectively just text and no formatting and nice boxes etc

i had that this week just gone, on two sites, Digitalworldz and daily telegraph site, i did a few quick things flush dns cleared cookies reboot pc etc etc but made no difference as i needed some info from the DTelegraph site i rebooted my router/firewall and its been fine ever since.

i dont know what it was but all the other sites i went to loaded as normal just those two sites. i was using Firefox Ver 19.2 i think its on ver 20 now.

Try above then try this:

Upgrade Java and check there's nothing on your router that may be affecting things (parental controls, URL blocking etc.).

Run up the page that fails and 'show source' then copy to a text file. Check for references in the source to elements and check whether you can access them separately...

Youtube home page source (part):

<!DOCTYPE html><html lang="en" data-cast-api-enabled="true"><head> <link id="css-3797231512" rel="stylesheet" href="http://s.ytimg.com/yts/cssbin/www-core-vflDAc18Y.css">

<script>var ytcsi = {data_: {tick: {},info: {}},tick: function(l, t) {ytcsi.data_.tick[l] = t || +new Date();},info: function(k, v) {ytcsi.data_.info[k] = v;}};ytcsi.tick('start');if (document.webkitVisibilityState == 'prerender') {ytcsi.info('prerender', 1);document.addEventListener('webkitvisibilitychange', function() {ytcsi.tick('start');}, false);}try {ytcsi.pt_ = (window.chrome && chrome.csi().pageT ||window.gtbExternal && gtbExternal.pageT() ||window.external && external.pageT);if (ytcsi.pt_) {ytcsi.info('pt', Math.floor(ytcsi.pt_));}} catch(e) {}</script><title>YouTube</title><meta http-equiv="x-dns-prefetch-control" content="on"><link rel="dns-prefetch" href="//i1.ytimg.com"><link rel="dns-prefetch" href="//i2.ytimg.com"><link rel="dns-prefetch" href="//i3.ytimg.com"><link rel="dns-prefetch" href="//i4.ytimg.com"><link rel="search" type="application/opensearchdescription+xml" href="http://www.youtube.com/opensearch?locale=en_GB" title="YouTube Video Search"><link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://s.ytimg.com/yts/img/favicon-vfldLzJxy.ico" type="image/x-icon"> <link rel="icon" href="//s.ytimg.com/yts/img/favicon_32-vflWoMFGx.png" sizes="32x32"><link rel="alternate" media="handheld" href="http://m.youtube.com/index?&amp;desktop_uri=%2F"><link rel="alternate" media="only screen and (max-width: 640px)" href="http://m.youtube.com/index?&amp;desktop_uri=%2F"><meta name="description" content="Share your videos with friends, family and the world"><meta name="keywords" content="video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload"> <meta property="og:image" content="//s.ytimg.com/yts/img/youtube_logo_stacked-vfl225ZTx.png">
<meta property="fb:app_id" content="87741124305">
<link rel="publisher" href="https://plus.google.com/115229808208707341778">
<link id="css-2871031451" rel="stylesheet" href="http://s.ytimg.com/yts/cssbin/www-home-vfl7szTZs.css">

Highlighted part is a call to a css stylesheet and should produce a page starting:

body{line-height:1;text-align:left;text-align:start}menu,ol,ul{list-style:none}blockquote,q{quotes:none}blockquote:before,blockquote:after,q:before,q:after{content:'';content:none}ins{text-decoration:none}del{text-decoration:line-through}table{border-collapse:collapse;border-spacing:0}strong,b{font-weight:bold}body{margin:0;padding:0;border:0;font-size:100%}a,abbr,acronym,address,applet,b,big,blockquote,button,canvas,caption,center,cite,code,dd,del,dfn,div,dl,dt,em,embed,fieldset,font,form,h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6,hr,html,i,iframe,img,ins,kbd,label,legend,li,menu,object,ol,p,pre,q,s,samp,small,span,strike,strong,sub,sup,table,tbody,td,tfoot,th,thead,tr,tt,u,ul,var{margin:0;padding:0;border:0;font-

when entered as a URL. If it doesn't, you're likely looking at a network error rather than a computer issue.

I tried, "http://s.ytimg.com/yts/cssbin/www-core-vflDAc18Y.css">, all I got was a blank page, I'm not too sure about rebooting my router/virgin media hub, not too tech savvy.

H/H beat me to it..lol

you should be up again now hows it look ?

Hmm, might have to roll me sleeves up!

No parental control software installed? Third-party firewall like Zonealarm? If yes, disable. If no, download and run CCleaner (there's a free version at piriform).

If it finds nothing create a new user account in Windows (from Control Panel) then logon as that user to prove the user profile is okay.

I still think corrupt cache because chrome didn't display properly first then firefox and you might find even explorer won't either, did you follow the tip about opedns exactly? 99% of the time this cures the problem you have shown about badly formatted web pages.

Hmm, might have to roll me sleeves up!

No parental control software installed? Third-party firewall like Zonealarm? If yes, disable. If no, download and run CCleaner (there's a free version at piriform).

If it finds nothing create a new user account in Windows (from Control Panel) then logon as that user to prove the user profile is okay.

I'm using Comodo Firewall and Avast Anti-Virus, no parental control, ran CCleaner/nothing changed, created new user profile and youtube works fine.

I still think corrupt cache because chrome didn't display properly first then firefox and you might find even explorer won't either, did you follow the tip about opedns exactly? 99% of the time this cures the problem you have shown about badly formatted web pages.

Youtube works fine on IE, it even works with the IE Tab in Firefox, tried opendns, nothing changed.

Back