Young persons insurance

Tamarc

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post...? Anyway just wondering what your thought are on this question..How much would you expect a young drivers ins premium to go up by if they make a claim in the first year. based in Scotland with a Ford Ka 950cc.

just best guess !!

Have to be honest, that really is a how long is a piece of string question. Effectively your already at the bottom rung of the ladder in terms of no claims bonus, and generally you will lose 2 years no claims on an accident, but then expect a slight increase (which really can be anything depending on the company)

Ins. Premiums have already gone up by 30% in the last year, so it wouldn't take effect until your renewal, so it could be as significant as 50% (including the 30%), but it is purely a guess.

I haven't had an accident, and my premium went from £47 a month to £70 a month, and I have 9 years, I'm now paying £110 a month on an X5.

Last edited:
yes i understand its a stab in the dark,was just hoping someone might have recently been in the same boat

It may be worth not claiming and put it down to (in) experience...

When my daughter passed her test she bought a daewoo matiz 800cc till she got 3 years driving behind her and over 25 years old...she now has a Suzuki Swift Sport which she can just about afford to insure. When her boyfriend passed his test he wanted to go out and buy a new car but I managed to convince him to buy an old clio at least until he had one years driving under his belt...he pranged it after 9 months which has made him a much better driver now..after a year he traded it in against a Focus and got his money back on it.

I always advise new drivers to get and old car for the first year at least, because the stats don't lie...whether its your fault or not. Passing your driving test is the easy bit, it's trying to survive your first years driving without plates thats the hard bit. I'm not disrespecting inexperienced drivers (of any age) but you will find out quickly theres a lot of nutters out there youve yet to experience.

In my opinion "experienced drivers" dosent mean good drivers it means they have learnt how to avoid the nutters.

Your view are sound mate,thats just about the route we have taken,cost a few bob but have managed to not make or take it too a claim...with a little luck lessons have been learned

Back