YDL With Vlc and Wi-Fi Resources and Help

biosonik

Inactive User
Reaction score
Got a new PS3 and you want to stream internet feeds, listen to music and watch some sexual movies but Sony only really allows you to install an awful Linux distro (Ubuntu is better!)...bummer huh? don't dispair!

INSTALLING YDL 5.0
--Grab the YDL 5.0 PS3 dvd iso image from either terrasoft.com or a torrent site
--Burn it (use whatever you like)
--Attached to this post is two files, OtherOS.bld and OtherOS.self if you can't download from DW then just search the internet for them.
--Now on a USB Stick create the following folders - PS3 and inside that - otheros
--Put the otheros files into your newly create folder (otheros)

PREPARE THE PS3
I'm not going to tell you the exact menu's to enter, i'm sure you can figure on your own so...

--I would recommend you backup the ps3 system
--Now, format the PS3 (select custom to assign space for the distro - 10gig is fine)

Going well? no, yes? aright...
Aright, now shove your USB stick into your PS3 and select Install OtherOS and follow the instructions on screen.

INSTALLING VLC (Video-LAN Client)
Ok so by now you should have YDL installed so lets speed ahead to installing VLC.
http://tictech2.blogspot.com/2007/01/installing-vlc-on-ps3-running-yellowdog.html

WI-FI
http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/ydl_5.0/ps3-wifi-install.shtml

Ok in the VLC tutorial you would of been told to log into YDL as root instead of your normal username, this is bull and should be avoided INSTEAD use the command line and here is how to do that....

--Open command line
--type su and enter your root password when asked to
--Now type vi /etc/kboot.conf
--exciting stuff eh? press your INSERT key ONCE!
--You can now edit the file as you would any other text file
--Now delete the required information and enter the new kernal info (as shown in the link provided)
--done that? good good. Now press ESCAPE and type :x (means save and exit)
--Confused? went wrong...just login using root instead of your username...if you must.

ok if all went well you should have the slowest Linux install in the world but hey, its better than nothing and apparently there are rumors about Sony allowing Linux to use the RSX graphics card in the future which would greatly speed things up..

If anyone has any questions i'll try to answer them ;)

Last edited:
any1 got a link to ydl 5.1,ive looked all over for a download link cant find it anyware,i got fedora core 6 on at the mo and its fecking shiit

search function,whats that then

lol n no wonder i couldnt find it,i was feckin searching for 5.1 not 5.0.1

cheers

just a note for using VLC, you may need three additional packages which are downloadable via yum/yumex...

libdvdread
libdvdcss
and if you haven't already, ffmpeg.

Before you run out and get a USB mouse and keyboard, keep this in mind...

1. Dvd/Bluray/Video File playback is hindered by either poor software to decrypt the dvd/file and/or poor linux performance due to Sony restrictions (no access to RSX, limited CPU access).

2. Linux runs faster on my 10 year old piece of crap computer than it does on a PS3.

Back