XP MCE so frustraiting!

Ramtec

Inactive User
Reaction score
I built my own XP MCE pc last year and wanted to put in a couple of analogue/digital cards to have duel tuner support. I invested in a couple of XP media extenders and already had an old xbox (with the extender software and remote). My plan was to get the house completely tv automated, well that was the plan.

However in practice and reality this is how far I've got:-

XP MCE built and kinda working

the first two tuner cards (NVTV) wouldn't work with virgin media - no sound they're sat in a cupboard
the second two Hauppauge 150MCE said they came with brackets to fit a normal slot as they were low profile but no brackets were supplied!
the third set of cards Hauppauge HVR-1300 work with analogue passthrough but would not work with the set top box!!!! I've just found out after wasting loads of time and effort that it will only work with one card in not two via the stb!!!!

I'm fed up, I've invested in MCE extenders that are only compatible with XP not Vista tv cards that don't work properly and no real upgrade path unless I want to shell out the the same companies who I feel have sold me crocks!

rant over

This post is kinda a waste of time as I know nothing about MCE, using XBOX as a mediaPC, extenders, but I just wanted to share in some frustration as I spent hours finally getting a Linux server up using a dodgy NIC (had to use ndiswrapper) only for it to overheat and the CPU die in my cupboard!

hope you get something sorted mate and someone more knowledgeable comes with help.
as for XP MCE, if it works with Vista, can't you just torrent it mate?
though I can understand why you'd want to avoid that PoS OS :Laugh:

the media extenders won't work with vista though :(

Best invest in either a oem media play or a setop box that can stream connent on the network, like the dreambox. I have this streaming video anywhere on my network and it works fine.

Good luck fixing your system if you stick with it.

Back