Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

XL Airways do we trust the rest

nohidingplace

Member ++
Following the collapse of XL and what appears to be that if you have booked a flight only (on website) and paid by debit card ( your in the sh*t) how sure can we be that it is safe to use Easyjet, Flybe or Jet2 etc etc. You get the drift to purchase flights from these type of companies or is it now a case of booking the cheapest package poss to secure your cash,then go to what you want and ditch the cheap/rubbish accomodation.

Always use a credit card for these types of transactions,that way your able to claim back should things go wrong.

always use my master card for holidays and pay it back straightaway online in minutes .. safe as houses that way

i hope no-one else goes out fo business in teh near future caus ehow am i meant to get to France and back this week!!

important UEFA cup duty ye know ;)

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

The XL Leisure Group includes the following companies:

XL Leisure Group Plc, XL Airways UK Limited, Excel Aviation Limited, Explorer House Limited, Aspire Holidays Limited, Freedom Flights Limited, Freedom Flights (Aviation) Limited, The Really Great Holiday Company plc, Medlife Hotels Limited, Travel City Flights Limited, Kosmar Villa Holidays plc

Please Note: The French and German divisions of XL Leisure Group continue to operate as normal

NUFF SAID , AS USUAL WE THE BRITS ARE BEEN RIPPED OFF AGAIN:FINGER: SAME AS FRANCE'S POWER INCREASES ARE LOWER THAN OUR'S.
WE ARE PAYING FOR THE REST OF EUROPE

AND YES I'M SHOUTING

Just had my sister on the phone from Florida, asking me to check on the net whats happening. She was due to come home sunday looks like she'll have to make her own arrangements as they were fly drive only. I suppose there's worse places to be stranded.

thebigman

its all down to these m8 .. they run the world :

Mega rich oil countries were accused of trying to hold the world to ransom in order to line their own pockets after slashing production yesterday.

Opec voted to cut production by 520,000 barrels a day to halt a sharp fall in oil prices.

But the cynical attempt to boost profits failed after oil slumped to a five-month low.

Although it means less money for the oil barons, the latest fall brings hope to millions of hard-up families.

Lower oil prices could mean an end to the rapid rise in inflation - currently at a 16-year high.

Everything from the cost of the weekly shop to filling up at the pump is expected to begin to drop.

If that happens then pressure will mount on the Bank of England to, at last, cut interest rates, having kept them on hold at five per cent since the spring.

Oil peaked at a record $147 a barrel in July but has crashed by around 30 per cent since then. Worried about the scale of the slide, Opec voted to cap production at 28.8million barrels a day at a meeting held in Vienna.

Opec's president Chakib Khelil said: "Actions to curb output will be taken by members as soon as possible - that means in the next 40 days."

Opec - Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries - is responsible for about 45 per cent of the world's crude oil production.

Its decision initially had the desired affect as oil prices climbed to Û103 a barrel.

But fears over the state of the global economy eventually saw the price drop to just over Û98 a barrel.

Despite the fall, campaigners attacked Opec's motives which many saw as pure greed.

Edmund King, of the AA, said: "Left to their own devices market forces would have pushed the oil price down even further. It looks like Opec has got used to milking the system and don't want to kiss goodbye to excessive profits. They've made a harsh decision that will have an adverse impact on the global economy.

"The rest of the world is struggling with the credit crunch and here we are being held to ransom."

The International Energy Agency branded Opec's decision "unhelpful".

Its oil analyst David Fyfe added that the price "remains very high in anyone's terms".

The IEA lowered its global oil demand forecast for both this year and next year to reflect slower economic growth.

It said the world's leading countries would use 48.4million barrels per day this year - down from a prediction of 48.6million made last month, falling to 47.9million barrels in 2009. Demand has dropped as global economies slide towards recession on the back of the credit crunch.

Britain's economy has already ground to a halt - resulting in mass job losses.

A European Commission report published yesterday highlighted the scale of the threat as it predicted our economy - along with those of Germany and Spain - would go into reverse later this year.

Last edited:
they all promise the world just to part with your money

as soon as the shit hits the fans

they will drop you like a sack of shit

BBC News say that XL were the UK's 3rd largest tour operator, future does not look good for many other operators.

IMO, these companies should have at least gotten their customers back home before throwing in their chips.

BBC News say that XL were the UK's 3rd largest tour operator, future does not look good for many other operators.

IMO, these companies should have at least gotten their customers back home before throwing in their chips.

they couldn't get anyone home because they didn't have any money to buy fuel and no one would give them any more credit.

Totally agree, they should have ceased outgoing flights but brought people home but unfortunately they didnt have the money.

I saw the owner gurning his peepers out....now I sort of feel sorry that his buisness failed but surely he seen it coming, they were something like 140 million in debt but they still took bookings, this did not happen overnight. They knew the price of fuel and so did others but they have survived, ie: Easyjet, Flybe amongst others.

I feel really sorry for people who will not get their money back and those stranded at the minute and not knowing if they are blew up or stuffed.

Totally agree, they should have ceased outgoing flights but brought people home but unfortunately they didnt have the money.

I saw the owner gurning his peepers out....now I sort of feel sorry that his buisness failed but surely he seen it coming, they were something like 140 million in debt but they still took bookings, this did not happen overnight. They knew the price of fuel and so did others but they have survived, ie: Easyjet, Flybe amongst others.

I feel really sorry for people who will not get their money back and those stranded at the minute and not knowing if they are blew up or stuffed.

so at what point do you throw in the towel though?
you're right that it didn't happen overnight but when you're in a shithole like that I think it's only natural to batter away and hope everything turns out OK.
sometimes it does .. sometimes it doesn't.

thats life

With figures like that, i could only see it going one way.

£140,000,000 in DEBT and rising fuel prices, hmmm.... :err:

so at what point do you throw in the towel though?
you're right that it didn't happen overnight but when you're in a shithole like that I think it's only natural to batter away and hope everything turns out OK.
sometimes it does .. sometimes it doesn't.

thats life

Thats why I sort of feel sorry for the owner....lol

I cannot answer that pal....I am sure his lenders had been warning him for a while. I am sure he fought his best but to continue to take takings when you know you could be shut done is madness. I understand that he was trying to get some money in to survive but he was gambling with someone elses money and the hardship it would bring if his gamble went wrong.

With figures like that, i could only see it going one way.

£140,000,000 in DEBT and rising fuel prices, hmmm.... :err:

I'm sure Mr XL was absolutely bricking it at the thought of debts like that.
But the instinct to fight it out and try to survive works the same in business as it does in nature.

they aren't the first to go down the stank and they definitely won't be the last

Trendhure.com Schwein vs Löwin | Video but heres a success story :)

I'll bet he has a few million tucked away in a private account, he should use that to bring those poor people back home.

I'll bet he has a few million tucked away in a private account, he should use that to bring those poor people back home.

never mind that...
I just noticed your avitar and wondered if you would like to go out for cocktails and dinner ;)

Back