Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

xbox broken DVD drive...box wont boot without 1?

s_mit

Inactive User
I have an Xbox which I was going to use purely as a Media Centre, however I unpluged the DVD drive while the power was on (whilst chipping it)and now it no longer works.
Having the drive wasn't really a problem for me but found xbox came up with error whislt tring to boot, this problem doesn't occur when plugging in another drive.
I have tried a PC DVD drive as a long shot but I remember already reading that you couldn't do that without alreay having a working Xbox drive in place. It seems a waste of money buying a replacement drive, as whole working consoles come for around £20 now!

1. Can I fix the existing dvd drive?
2. Is there a way I can run box without any DVD drive?
3. Is there a way of using my old PC DVD drive in it?

p.s. The box has a 1.6 board with duox2 gs chip and evox2.7 installed.

The DVD drive will not eject, thus I beleive I have blown some sort of protection at the supply end of the drive, to fix it would be the ideal solution.

I am not sure if the bios I have supports 'drive detect on/off' but I cannot see the option in the evo x dash 'system settings', is it possible to flash the X2 5028 Bios to my duox gs chip (or perhaps a bios which would allow a non Xbox drive)???

Where would I be able to get a suitable bios?

Many thanks :Wave:

You should be able to use pretty much any standard ide dvd drive in it's place as well, the only difference being it wouldn't be able to read original games, only backups.

You should be able to use pretty much any standard ide dvd drive in it's place as well, the only difference being it wouldn't be able to read original games, only backups.

I think that if you try and use a standard IDE DVD drive you'll get an error message.

Back