WTF is with Fir Park?

ice2004

Inactive User
Reaction score
Whats wrong with this pitch, week after week games are postponed. You look forward to the game and then it gets postponed for a waterlogged pitch :err:

Think its time Motherwell got their finger out and got the pitch sorted, the weather hasnt been bad enough to have a waterlogged pitch for weeks.

Saturday's Scottish Premier League encounter between Motherwell and Celtic has been postponed because of a waterlogged pitch.

The match was scheduled to kick off at 1230 GMT but has failed a 0900 GMT pitch inspection.

Motherwell's Fir Park pitch, which is also being used by Gretna, has been much-criticised this season and the club have had several postponements.

Celtic are three points behind leaders Rangers, who also have a game in hand.

A new date for the fixture is yet to be announced.

A Celtic spokesperson said: "This is extremely disappointing news and once again has caused massive inconvenience for those supporters who travel long distances to matches.

"There is clearly a fundamental issue with this pitch and we would have obvious concerns about future matches taking place at Fir Park including next Sunday's scheduled league tie with Gretna.

"Once again we sincerely sympathise with our supporters given the difficulties this postponement has caused."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/7296123.stm

Last edited:
Cowboy outfit IMo, this is gona cause alot more probs fixtures wise + points wise especially if next weeks games get called off too.

if they manage to make europe in any shape or form, they better have it sorted, cause the euro guys wont stand for it,

(although if they do make europe it will only be a short stay, so wont matter, will it,)

Boyle mulls over Fir Park future

Motherwell chairman John Boyle says he wants to play SPL games away from Fir Park after the club's match against Celtic was postponed.

Boyle told BBC Radio Scotland he felt sorry for the fans over the poor pitch and wanted Motherwell and Gretna home games to be played at another stadium.

"I apologise to the fans who have been grossly inconvenienced," he said.

Meanwhile, the club confirmed it will play Celtic in a benefit match for the late captain Phil O'Donnell in May.

A number of Motherwell and Gretna SPL matches have been postponed at Fir Park this season due to a waterlogged pitch.

Every short-term measure we've taken clearly hasn't worked

Boyle said the everyone at the club was "hugely embarrassed" and that there was no excuse for the games being called off.

"Fans need certainty and we haven't been giving them this and I'm on the case," he said.

"We're going to have to take drastic action and ask the SPL if we can relocate some of our fixtures so that our fans and away fans have certainty about the remaining games.

"This may take three or four weeks to sort out. Every short-term measure we've taken clearly hasn't worked."

Boyle said he had arrived at the "expensive conclusion" that the Fir Park pitch would have to be ripped up.

The chairman said he did not think Gretna's SPL match against Celtic next Sunday would be played at Fir Park.

cowboy outfit? lol

Boyle's greed has lead us into this situation his greed for money from gretna.

at the end of the season everythig is getting ripped up grass (well wots there) clay, then all the shite, under soil heating and then the drains are getting sorted. we have always had problems with our pitch but nothing as bad as this.

this shows u what greedy chairman can do

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Atleast he's came out and acknowledged the problem and apologised, things should be very different at Fir Park next season.

Whats wrong with this pitch, week after week games are postponed. You look forward to the game and then it gets postponed for a waterlogged pitch :err:

Think its time Motherwell got their finger out and got the pitch sorted, the weather hasnt been bad enough to have a waterlogged pitch for weeks.

mate it was pishing it down saturday, sunday monday and tuesday here so i think we do have a valid excuse

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

mate it was pishing it down saturday, sunday monday and tuesday here so i think we do have a valid excuse

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

You have no excuses what so ever.Your pitch is absolutely pathetic and i doubt very much there was localised flooding in Motherwell alone?

You are an SPL club who agreed to ground share. Your chairman has admitted theres something wrong with Fir Park and its so bad that he wants the games played elsewhere.

why dont u play at Fir Park its had over a seasons worth of games already and is in top condition never had to postpone a fixture due to the pitch this season or last

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

You spouted off about Ibrox being poor a few weeks back and how Fir Park was excellent. Rangers relayed their pitch and it wasnt anywhere near as bad as Fir Park. So your gonna get absolutely no sympathy from me over this, your team are fecking the SPL calender up for all the other teams and wasting the money of travelling fans.

There are criteria that have to be met in order to be in the SPL and Motherwell must come up well short on the pitch front.

You have no excuses what so ever.Your pitch is absolutely pathetic and i doubt very much there was localised flooding in Motherwell alone?

You are an SPL club who agreed to ground share. Your chairman has admitted theres something wrong with Fir Park and its so bad that he wants the games played elsewhere.

You spouted off about Ibrox being poor a few weeks back and how Fir Park was excellent. Rangers relayed their pitch and it wasnt anywhere near as bad as Fir Park. So your gonna get absolutely no sympathy from me over this, your team are fecking the SPL calender up for all the other teams and wasting the money of travelling fans.

There are criteria that have to be met in order to be in the SPL and Motherwell must come up well short on the pitch front.

lol fair nuff

cant argue with that, hopefully we can remain friends?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

ok mate just like i have expressed my views on ur team :) i outtaq knew this was coming lmao

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

do you know something MFC, I expected celtic and Rangers fans to have a dig at each other constantly on here, because of our past history. but almost all of the celtics fans and rangers fans , come on here and have abit of banter,
but im glad thats all it is between us. I am please to call many of the celtic support on here , friends

however I am suprised that you constantly slate the rangers.

Bigotry definately isnt confind to the old firm mate!

Last edited:

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

dont make me laugh , its a disgrace

In this day and age are they telling us that a football pith is not manageable ?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! complete nonsense

The Scottish PREMIER League...what a laughing stock we are...

A PREMIER team goes bust and another one needs to have pitch inspections every week...the SPL is a farce. :mad:

Back