Works Network/ Intranet How To Gain Access?

wenglishboy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi people, I was wondering if there was a way that I could gain access to the net via the works network. We have google but every site we would like to go to comes up with a restricted service message. there is a spare ethernet port on the wall which will bypass the need to use the works pc. Ideally I would just like to pal up with the guy from IT dept but its a long way to the xmas doo so i cant get him drunk to sort out a promise ;) reason i asked is im looking forward to the euro's etc but some matches coincide with me being on backshift so thought i could watch some footy during my dinner time ;)

I guess though its about time i actually went to work too work!

You could set up a SSH tunnel using a proxy at home.

Here's a guide I found, seems like it's hosted somewhere different now but it looks like the same content.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Note that you need to configure Firefox to use the remote DNS too!

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Don't get sacked :).

If they are using a proxy server which is what I would do if it was my network then basically your stuffed. It blocks by port and content. In addition sounds like they are filter the sites (probably using opendns or ironport or something along those lines)

In addition I suspect if they have gone to the trouble of setting up a proxy then they will be monitoring bandwidth and if they see a spike (like if somebody is streaming video for a while) then they will easily be able to track it down to you.

Your best bet is to get a 3G dongle and your own laptop.

Sorry Spectre, not sure what setting up a SSH tunnel to your home PC would buy you ?

Sorry Spectre, not sure what setting up a SSH tunnel to your home PC would buy you ?

You have a SSL tunnel to a proxy (your home PC) through the corporate firewall and router.

It can depend on how they apply the restrictions but read the guide above for a better description.

You have a SSL tunnel to a proxy (your home PC) through the corporate firewall and router.

It can depend on how they apply the restrictions but read the guide above for a better description.

The problem is that even though you can tell SSH to use port 80 or 443, decent modern proxies look at the connection headers for HTTP so SSH would be block stopping you forming an outbound connection. It boils down to the firewall/proxy that is being used.

Also all traffic flows through your home PC so that will need to be on and off course have enough upload bandwidth. And as mentioned, if your IT department has bandwidth monitoring in place then it would flag a sudden increase in your PC usage regardless of protocol. And it would probably be a disciplinary offence to connect your own equipment.

thanks fella's as i thought you've answered my question by explaining to me that i am a complete clown and cant comprehend the in's and outs of it all. I thought it would be simple but then again i guess thats why i dont work in the IT department myself.... guess I will have to wait for the xmas party, get the bloke pissed and take photo's of him with some dirty old slag so i can blackmail him.... until then thanks anyways. ;)

thanks fella's as i thought you've answered my question by explaining to me that i am a complete clown and cant comprehend the in's and outs of it all. I thought it would be simple but then again i guess thats why i dont work in the IT department myself.... guess I will have to wait for the xmas party, get the bloke pissed and take photo's of him with some dirty old slag so i can blackmail him.... until then thanks anyways. ;)

As mentioned smart phone or tablet with 3G is probably your best bet.

havn't had a tablet since 1996 back in the days when music had real beats and bounce too it... :) guess i will go for the cheaper option of saving up my sick days for when the footy conflicts with my shift pattern. ;)

Back