work experience = free workers for tesco's

my missus cannot drive, and is on JSA, and the clowns in the jokeshop of a job center told her that she would have to work in a tescos 20 miles away to continue getting her money, she also has a 7 year old in school, and would have to pay bus fare out of her jsa

after a LOT of arguing, she went to the local community based learning center (sort of place where they teach you how to write CVs etc) and spoke to somebody there, who then got onto the job center on her behalf.

she now 'works' as a volunteer (to continue getting her JSA) for a local small charity shop within the village that i live in, and she loves it, if she has nothing else to do on her 'days off' she still goes in and helps out. this charity shop raises funds to keep the local center open, which runs night courses (like an outreach college center) and help people write VCs and has computers for people to apply for jobs etc

so what she does now, actually helps out a small community, instead of further increasing the profits of a huge company

ellie, it may be worth your son going to the local CAB, and asking about if theres any places that can help him wirte out a CV local to you, and see if he can find someone like my missus did

does he HAVE to work for tescos? a small firm would have to pay insurance to take him on as a volunteer, but it would be a LOT less than a wage, maybe approach a few local small businesses, and offer his labour, for free, if they will insure him

when i was 13, i used to go to work with my uncle, bacause i liked what he did, every saturday. by the time i was 15, i was able to fully fabricate upvc windows, doors and conservatories on my own. between 3 of us, we could make a standard house full of windows and doors, from lengths of profile, into ready to fit units, in about an hour, i loved it, and used to get a tenner for the saturday. on top of my money for also doing 4 paper rounds (one before school and 3 after) i used to have a fortune to blow in the arcades down barry island on a sunday lol

then the company i did that for, went bust, i was gutted. then a few months after, i was just about to finish school, and was in my dads house, when a guy came to fit smoke alarms, id always been interested in 'anything electirc' and electronics, and was chatting to him, and asked him for a job, he laughed and gave me his bosses number, so i rang him, had a chat, said that id played with electrical stuff as a hobby, did windows for a £10 saturday job, etc.

my mum was still getting money for me, so i agreed to work for free for the summer holidays, i was given a few quid at the end of each week, and then started college, to do 16th edition, and micro electronics, and 4 years later, qualified as a spark

then jacked it all in, and started fitting satellite dishes lol

but ask about locally though, he may not HAVE to go to tescos m8

Hi, I'm new here, I saw this thread and couldn't really stay quite and I'm currently doing a work experience in Tesco. I'm 20 and have been out of work since last year, but I've done different work experience's all over since then (beats sitting at home, doing nothing and it's good to say you're currently doing something when applying for jobs). My retail experience ranged from charity shops to high street market stores like Peacocks (Peacocks was awesome, try and get work experience there). Anyway getting off topic, I'll relay my work experience and interview at Tesco's.

Friday 21st Oct was the interview date. First the interview wasn't an interview. The manager babbled on about how there's only 3 spaces and 40 candidates. Did she ask us questions? No. Did she ask us what we knew about the company? No. Did she even bother ask if anyone's worked in retail before so she knew a little bit more about her candidates? Nope.
What she DID do was take us to the shop floor, assign us aisles and got us to rumble for an hour (that's when we clean the shelves and bring stock forward from the back of the shelf), she took us back up after, asked if we had any questions (after basically telling us nothing about Tesco's there wasn't much to ask except the obvious 'is there any chance of a job afterwards?' to which she said a whole long speech which practically meant "maybe"). After that we were free to go home.

If she was right about 40 people as candidates and they done the same thing as us, Tesco basically got 40 hours free labour from people that had nothing to do with the company at all. Anyway, surprise surprise, I got the call that I got accepted and to go for an induction the following Tuesday. The induction was basically going through the booklet and she assigned us Tuesday to Saturday as our days with 5 hour shifts. The induction took 1 hour for the rest of the 4 hours we did rumbling and put backs (when we take things the customer has decided they don't want any more and put them back on the shelf).

That would be okay for the first day, but now I'm 2 weeks into the "work experience" working 12pm-5pm doing nothing but rumbling and put backs with 15 minute breaks. Days when I manage to steal away from tedious routine and at least put out stock would be considered great ones, it is so bad the customers are the highlight of the day. To add salt to the wound, one of the workers told us that our work experience is bogus and told us how his work experience went. He was doing all sorts, for us to at least learn about security tagging would be a miracle (lucky enough I learnt about security and repricing in my earlier work experiences). Once I spoke up saying I wasn't happy about how my work experience is proceeding, the best the supervisor could do was give me a black bag and ask me to collect security tags from the till (from which the staff at the till didn't even look around to see who was behind them. I could have been a thief, murderer, anything but that's not worth checking their backs for. Care much?), he also confessed that he had been told by the manager that had interviewed us that ALL we would be doing is rumbling and put backs. My mouth literally dropped open. Also one time, my friend and myself got there but there was no supervisors or managers anywhere, we were practically left to our own devices for an hour and a half. That didn't make a difference anyway since they're just like "rumble this random section" and disappear to chat or do whatever, I don't know because I never really see them again for the rest of the day. Some staff are really nice, most of the others look down their noses at us especially out supervisor and others are idiots who think these 2 other girls and myself are just there to be leered at. Thankfully, like the stuck up staff, they are ignorable. There is also the obvious favorability (if that's even a word), an employee was rude to a customer who only wanted help, nothing was done. A work experience staff only answered a customer back after the customer went around pouring random things out of the basket into the aisle just to hack her off. But the supervisor was about to get on her back and only didn't when another employee told him that she hadn't been in the wrong. Fair? I don't think so.

I'm forced to strain my back and put heavy things on places higher than me and I'm only 5"3, can you imagine a short girl trying to lift 6pack 2litre cola bottles to above shoulder height? The co-worker had no sympathy but luckily 2 other girls on work experience did and they help me. It really is nothing short of labour. Especially that the work experience advertisement says Mon - Fri and A Saturday. Not Tue - Sat. I already know they want us in Saturday because that's the busiest day, but they're in direct conflict with what their work experience advertisement says. Who works on a Saturday for free? They don't want us in Mondays because those days are quiet, hence the Tue - Sat joke. We did not sign a contract about our days or hours so I'm getting that changed as soon as possible and I'm sure they will allow me to, they don't want to lose any kind of free labour they can get.

Also, I noticed how this scheme starts in September, practically the Christmas Recruiting period. See where I'm going with this? They only want "work experience" people as cleaners and labourers to keep the store tidy, cleaning their shelves, putting back products and occasionally putting out stock while their employees sit on the till. And the Job centre was happy to exploit us to this scheme. By the way, if you're wondering how I know about the hours and days the advertisement says and I still got roped into the Tuesday - Saturday, it is because I never saw the advertisement before I was put forward by the job centre. That's right, I didn't have to apply the job centre just put my name down and said someone would call the next day. I randomly saw the advertisement posted in the Tesco staff area (of all places, as if the staff would be interested in work experience), I tried looking for the ad on the internet but I can't find it, not even on the Tesco website! (if any of you can please put me out of my misery and tell me it's somewhere around), but still the job centre has it. Because of that it really does feel like exploitation. I decided to do it since this Tesco is the Superstore, one of the biggest and it would be good experience working in a busy environment. Thing is I'm hardly working though, I can move stuff around and put things back in my own house, that's not work experience at all. This farce of a scheme ends in April... Well this period anyway before September 2012 most likely kicks in.

Wow sorry, I didn't mean to rant but you know, I had a lot to say. If you decide to do work experience in Tesco, that's your choice but as a worker told me there, they don't follow the rules. And apparently Tesco can only hire 10 people every 2 - 4 years, I think/hope that's a rumour though. A bit farfetched if you ask me, but seeing how the supervisors and some other employees treat the work experience staff, anything is possible.

Forgot to add. When I went back for the induction the manager said "I know I said it was only 3 spaces, but you were all so good I asked if I could have you all and they said yes!"

Coincidence? I don't think so.

Luck? Definitely not.

A trick? Yeah, that sounds about right.

Remember, all we did was tidy shelves for our "interview". 12 people were there and it's dwindled down to 6 (me included) during the past 2 weeks. If there really was 40 other people, they might be on a different shift or allocated for December and January. From what I've seen, I honestly think that no one was lucky enough to not get picked. :grayno:

Last edited:
a perfect example of this is my local british heart foundation furniture shop are crying out for volunteers, huge sign on the front of the shop, why arent people sent there? instead of £esco's who, as said, would have employed christmas temps instead. its the rich getting richer again.

They do at the charity shop my other half volunteers at. They have 2 there.

Forgot to add. When I went back for the induction the manager said "I know I said it was only 3 spaces, but you were all so good I asked if I could have you all and they said yes!"

Coincidence? I don't think so.

Luck? Definitely not.

A trick? Yeah, that sounds about right.

Remember, all we did was tidy shelves for our "interview". 12 people were there and it's dwindled down to 6 (me included) during the past 2 weeks. If there really was 40 other people, they might be on a different shift or allocated for December and January. From what I've seen, I honestly think that no one was lucky enough to not get picked. :grayno:

Genuinely feel for you, I think it's discusting :(

Genuinely feel for you, I think it's discusting :(

Thanks, my family, my friends I made at Tesco and even the employee who told us of his work experience think it's disgusting too. So, I'm grateful I found this thread so I can prove that Tesco as rich as they are, (seriously, the staff restaurant is nice, no hard seats in there - can we say leather cushions? And everything in their bathroom is automatic, the toilet, the soap dispenser and the tap that gives out PERFECT temperature water. Usually automatic taps elsewhere are too hot or just cold. They also have some little bath thing in the disabled toilet but I have no idea what that is for), they are really just getting free labour.

It's also handy that I'm still currently there, so my experience hasn't been watered down by time and I can remember most things. The huge essay I wrote, surprisingly wasn't everything.

Does tesco still have a recruitment office in Warsaw ? Morrisons for me from now on!

I suggest that if you do go for work experience, go for charity shops. I was volunteering in Mind charity shop before I went to Tesco and I really loved and enjoyed it there. You get a range of customers in Mind: polite, rude, greedy, crazy, people that just come in to talk etc, while in Tesco you only get either polite or rude.

Today when I was doing my work experience in Tesco, some 'higher up on the staff food chain, but not a manager' dropped 4 customers on me and then high tailed it. I managed to sort it out by serving 2 and passing the other 2 to my 2 other work experience friends (I'll call them Shannon and Chaerin :p) so at least it proves my brain is working. Then an employee ran to Shannon and Chaerin with a customer, asked where something was and they told him. Then he turned to the customer and said 'these girls will help you' and was about to walk into the distance and leave the customer there. Chaerin then said they didn't know where it was exactly and that the employee actually worked there so he should know. So the employee was forced to deal with his customer properly. Ontop of that a supervisor said he would get Shannon a new badge since she lost hers and a cage to put boxes in so we can rumble (joy.). Surprise surprise, neither came for the rest of our shift and they hadn't bothered to teach us how to use the stock lift so it's not like we could retrieve a cage ourselves. We had to carry the cardboard around because of no other option. We're only work experience, we don't get the Tesco uniform and we don't even have badges with our names on it but that's the kind of rubbish we have to put up with from the staff there. Luckily someone pulled a cage through, so we threw our cardboard in there and strolled on.

When you volunteer at a charity shop, there will obviously be staff you don't like because everyone's different, but what you're doing is appreciated. Also when you go for interviews, it seems to count as a brownie point if you volunteer at a charity, when I mentioned Peacocks they were like 'okay', then I mentioned Mind: 'Really? how is that? I've heard the experience you gain from there is very good etc'.

Shannon, Chaerin and myself have taken to working together rather than working separately, so at least when we leave Tesco we can write 'I learnt about the value of teamwork' on our CV's. I still can't get over how bad people can be to us though, as if working for free is something to be laughed at. Their ignorance is annoying and can be upsetting but that's some customers for you. Oh yeah, JCP has completely abandoned us. The only reason I've heard from them is because I called them myself, another girl hasn't heard at all and she can't call out from her phone. Honestly JCP, can't even follow up on the courtesy call you were singing about? If they called this moment, they would be 2 weeks too late.

Shannon told of her lost Tesco badge to the manager (the useless one that went on holiday and didn't tell anyone - that was a part I missed out in the essay I wrote a few posts ago. She was also meant to be our point of contact.) and she threw a mini fit and said she should find it because it's a property of Tesco. I understand it being Tesco property and if the manager has to order new ones she'd probably have to bulk order or something (that's giving her the benefit of the doubt). But there's a few questions about it that came to mind:

1) There's no kind of security chip or something that sets the alarms going when we walk out. It's just an ordinary, plastic badge. So what's the fuss?

2) The badge doesn't have Shannon's name on it, it's a badge they just give anybody, so it isn't like she lost one made especially for her. Hardly any extra costs there, should there be any.

3) Was she worried someone might pick it up, wear it and walk into staff designated areas? Does she really not look at the people she hires? The store manager could get away with not knowing every face. A manager that takes it upon themselves to interview people, in my opinion, has no such luxury.

4) If she interviewed 40 people and was told she could have all of us, there must be a spare badge floating around somewhere, right??

Chaerin then came to an acceptable conclusion that she just wanted the badge so she can just pass it off to the next bulk of people that work experience there. Has Tesco really gotten that stingy and uncaring of what person wears their badges as long as they do whatever back door jobs they give them? Okay, 'back door' is a bit extreme but you know what I mean.

Shannon, Chaerin and myself were trying to find something to do that didn't entail rumbling because we had done that for a straight 2 hours. Our useless supervisor saw us (you know the one that admitted he was told we'd only be doing two jobs for our duration there. I'll call him Bob) and just walked on. Yeah, we can't wait to be rid of you too. Someone threw a supermalt bottle over the aisle wall and it naturally shattered, just a few feet away from us. I hailed useless Bob and he got on the phone and presumably called a cleaner. I don't know who he called, I was a bit far from him. The bottle had almost hit a poor woman in the head but luckily it missed and she was very good spirited about it. After she left I turned the bottle incident into a joke.

I said that the reason Bob looked at us and didn't say anything was because he wanted us in position, then when we were in the right aisle he signalled someone to throw the super malt. But it missed and he hadn't known it missed until I called him telling him about the spill, then he went on the phone not to call a cleaner but to tell his lackeys that they screwed up. Us three girls have come to the conclusion that the managers, supervisors and most employees do not like us very much. Maybe it's because: Even though they only give us rumbling and put backs to do, drop customers on us when they want to and basically pretend we don't exist because they're definitely not supervising, we still find things to keep the smile on our faces. Usually it's each other.

So Tesco only managed to pass the most basic of basics in a work environment: You can meet new people and work well with them.

Last edited:
I want to shop in that Tesco! lol, not that I go to Tesco, I'm more Harrods don't you know :p

I want to shop in that Tesco! lol, not that I go to Tesco, I'm more Harrods don't you know :p

Loool some has it made, don't they? :)

I found out that Tesco is in partnership with JCP. I thought that people who are employed but wanted retail experience could go for the scheme too, but no, this dumb scheme is exclusively for the unemployed. I confirmed it with a supervisor (I think we've been abandoned by useless Bob). I honestly think that Tesco has replaced that dumb SkillsUK thing, you know? The course that JCP sent you to for 2 weeks and then 13 weeks and then probably 13 weeks again. So now Tesco you stay at for a month and if you've been on JSA for 2 years you go to Skills for 2 years. I really think no one will be able to do that loool

Hi, I'm new here, I saw this thread and couldn't really stay quite and I'm currently doing a work experience in Tesco. I'm 20 and have been out of work since last year, but I've done different work experience's all over since then (beats sitting at home, doing nothing and it's good to say you're currently doing something when applying for jobs). My retail experience ranged from charity shops to high street market stores like Peacocks (Peacocks was awesome, try and get work experience there). Anyway getting off topic, I'll relay my work experience and interview at Tesco's.

Friday 21st Oct was the interview date. First the interview wasn't an interview. The manager babbled on about how there's only 3 spaces and 40 candidates. Did she ask us questions? No. Did she ask us what we knew about the company? No. Did she even bother ask if anyone's worked in retail before so she knew a little bit more about her candidates? Nope.
What she DID do was take us to the shop floor, assign us aisles and got us to rumble for an hour (that's when we clean the shelves and bring stock forward from the back of the shelf), she took us back up after, asked if we had any questions (after basically telling us nothing about Tesco's there wasn't much to ask except the obvious 'is there any chance of a job afterwards?' to which she said a whole long speech which practically meant "maybe"). After that we were free to go home.

If she was right about 40 people as candidates and they done the same thing as us, Tesco basically got 40 hours free labour from people that had nothing to do with the company at all. Anyway, surprise surprise, I got the call that I got accepted and to go for an induction the following Tuesday. The induction was basically going through the booklet and she assigned us Tuesday to Saturday as our days with 5 hour shifts. The induction took 1 hour for the rest of the 4 hours we did rumbling and put backs (when we take things the customer has decided they don't want any more and put them back on the shelf).

That would be okay for the first day, but now I'm 2 weeks into the "work experience" working 12pm-5pm doing nothing but rumbling and put backs with 15 minute breaks. Days when I manage to steal away from tedious routine and at least put out stock would be considered great ones, it is so bad the customers are the highlight of the day. To add salt to the wound, one of the workers told us that our work experience is bogus and told us how his work experience went. He was doing all sorts, for us to at least learn about security tagging would be a miracle (lucky enough I learnt about security and repricing in my earlier work experiences). Once I spoke up saying I wasn't happy about how my work experience is proceeding, the best the supervisor could do was give me a black bag and ask me to collect security tags from the till (from which the staff at the till didn't even look around to see who was behind them. I could have been a thief, murderer, anything but that's not worth checking their backs for. Care much?), he also confessed that he had been told by the manager that had interviewed us that ALL we would be doing is rumbling and put backs. My mouth literally dropped open. Also one time, my friend and myself got there but there was no supervisors or managers anywhere, we were practically left to our own devices for an hour and a half. That didn't make a difference anyway since they're just like "rumble this random section" and disappear to chat or do whatever, I don't know because I never really see them again for the rest of the day. Some staff are really nice, most of the others look down their noses at us especially out supervisor and others are idiots who think these 2 other girls and myself are just there to be leered at. Thankfully, like the stuck up staff, they are ignorable. There is also the obvious favorability (if that's even a word), an employee was rude to a customer who only wanted help, nothing was done. A work experience staff only answered a customer back after the customer went around pouring random things out of the basket into the aisle just to hack her off. But the supervisor was about to get on her back and only didn't when another employee told him that she hadn't been in the wrong. Fair? I don't think so.

I'm forced to strain my back and put heavy things on places higher than me and I'm only 5"3, can you imagine a short girl trying to lift 6pack 2litre cola bottles to above shoulder height? The co-worker had no sympathy but luckily 2 other girls on work experience did and they help me. It really is nothing short of labour. Especially that the work experience advertisement says Mon - Fri and A Saturday. Not Tue - Sat. I already know they want us in Saturday because that's the busiest day, but they're in direct conflict with what their work experience advertisement says. Who works on a Saturday for free? They don't want us in Mondays because those days are quiet, hence the Tue - Sat joke. We did not sign a contract about our days or hours so I'm getting that changed as soon as possible and I'm sure they will allow me to, they don't want to lose any kind of free labour they can get.

Also, I noticed how this scheme starts in September, practically the Christmas Recruiting period. See where I'm going with this? They only want "work experience" people as cleaners and labourers to keep the store tidy, cleaning their shelves, putting back products and occasionally putting out stock while their employees sit on the till. And the Job centre was happy to exploit us to this scheme. By the way, if you're wondering how I know about the hours and days the advertisement says and I still got roped into the Tuesday - Saturday, it is because I never saw the advertisement before I was put forward by the job centre. That's right, I didn't have to apply the job centre just put my name down and said someone would call the next day. I randomly saw the advertisement posted in the Tesco staff area (of all places, as if the staff would be interested in work experience), I tried looking for the ad on the internet but I can't find it, not even on the Tesco website! (if any of you can please put me out of my misery and tell me it's somewhere around), but still the job centre has it. Because of that it really does feel like exploitation. I decided to do it since this Tesco is the Superstore, one of the biggest and it would be good experience working in a busy environment. Thing is I'm hardly working though, I can move stuff around and put things back in my own house, that's not work experience at all. This farce of a scheme ends in April... Well this period anyway before September 2012 most likely kicks in.

Wow sorry, I didn't mean to rant but you know, I had a lot to say. If you decide to do work experience in Tesco, that's your choice but as a worker told me there, they don't follow the rules. And apparently Tesco can only hire 10 people every 2 - 4 years, I think/hope that's a rumour though. A bit farfetched if you ask me, but seeing how the supervisors and some other employees treat the work experience staff, anything is possible.

I'm in the same situation. I'm 22 and was working as an admin for an office/call centre before everyone was made redundant. Since then I've been on job seekers for 6 months looking for more office work with no luck. I was told about the whole work experience process and the job centre actually referred me to a few opportunities in offices which I applied for. No such luck there, and then last week I randomly got a phone call saying I had an interview at Tesco the next day so I had to go to that. I had the same group interview as you where they barely asked us any questions or anything, and were told there were all these people interviewing and only a few would get picked. One of them was me and I started this past week, working from Monday to Saturday with Wednesday and Sundays off; 30 hours a week, 6 hours a day, for no pay. Firstly, the job centre said it would only be 20-25 hours a week, and secondly, all of my shifts end at either 8pm or 9pm. They actually hired a few people at the same time as they took on the job seekers lot and I've talked to a few of them and they work less hours than us, and don't have to be in on a Saturday.

The work is the same as well where we're basically tasked with rumbling (making the store look nicer) for the whole 6 hours. It's as monotonous as anything I've ever done and places stress on my back which has been dodgy since I injured it playing football a few years back. So I'm working all these hours, moving items back and forth, while in pain and receiving no pay. The managers talk down to me like I'm still in school and most of the time I'm forced to work a whole aisle by myself while the rest are paired up together. It's the most awful working environment I've ever been in, and for what? An opportunity to put Tesco on my CV? I'm not looking for retail work so I see little benefit, and it's not like it's particularly hard to understand the process of moving items on a shelf so they look fuller than they actually are.

And all this for 8 weeks, right up to the 31st of December so Tesco can get their free Christmas labour. All after the job centre told me it would only be 4-5 weeks as well.

I'm in the same situation. I'm 22 and was working as an admin for an office/call centre before everyone was made redundant. Since then I've been on job seekers for 6 months looking for more office work with no luck. I was told about the whole work experience process and the job centre actually referred me to a few opportunities in offices which I applied for. No such luck there, and then last week I randomly got a phone call saying I had an interview at Tesco the next day so I had to go to that. I had the same group interview as you where they barely asked us any questions or anything, and were told there were all these people interviewing and only a few would get picked. One of them was me and I started this past week, working from Monday to Saturday with Wednesday and Sundays off; 30 hours a week, 6 hours a day, for no pay. Firstly, the job centre said it would only be 20-25 hours a week, and secondly, all of my shifts end at either 8pm or 9pm. They actually hired a few people at the same time as they took on the job seekers lot and I've talked to a few of them and they work less hours than us, and don't have to be in on a Saturday.

The work is the same as well where we're basically tasked with rumbling (making the store look nicer) for the whole 6 hours. It's as monotonous as anything I've ever done and places stress on my back which has been dodgy since I injured it playing football a few years back. So I'm working all these hours, moving items back and forth, while in pain and receiving no pay. The managers talk down to me like I'm still in school and most of the time I'm forced to work a whole aisle by myself while the rest are paired up together. It's the most awful working environment I've ever been in, and for what? An opportunity to put Tesco on my CV? I'm not looking for retail work so I see little benefit, and it's not like it's particularly hard to understand the process of moving items on a shelf so they look fuller than they actually are.

And all this for 8 weeks, right up to the 31st of December so Tesco can get their free Christmas labour. All after the job centre told me it would only be 4-5 weeks as well.

Heyyy dude or dudette :)

My first concern is about your back injury, how can they be so callous into letting you carry around heavy stuff? Can't you tell JCP that you can't do Tesco because it strains your back? No point complaining to Tesco, they really don't care. One of the work experience staff caught a fever coz they always placed him in the cold food section. He asked if he could go home (he really did look terrible) and you know what they said? Go to the Tesco pharmacy and get a prescription! Don't you need a doctor to do that? They're not paying him but he HAS to stay and worsen himself? What kind of crap is that? In the end he followed my advice (not the best thing to do at times lol) and went home and called JCP telling them what was going on. Thankfully, the woman said he didn't have to stay there because they're not paying him. So if JCP also turns their back on your back and something happens to you, let me know who you're suing first. :p

My second concern is the mass murder Tesco is getting away with. 30 hours? 6 hours a day? And as for the shifts, I'm sorry to hear about that, but the Tesco I was at, at least told me that late finishes could be possible. Thankfully it didn't come to that. If your shifts finish at 8 or 9, that means you're starting at 2pm or 3pm. At least you have a few hours to give out CV's unless Tesco has taken it's toll on you, like it did me and leaves you so exhausted that you sleep right up till you need to get up to go to Tesco again loool. What Shannon, Chaerin and myself did was find an advertisement for the work experience and matched what it said to what our shifts were. Naturally, it was all wrong. We've actually finished the Tesco nightmare now, the personnel manager was saying "I think one of you missed out on a saturday." And she was staring at Shannon. In truth all 3 of us missed TWO saturdays but because she was barely around when she should have been (we nicknamed her Ghost because of this and since we saw her twice in one week, we upgraded her to Zombie) she didn't know that. So she just had to work with the grapevine, we think she targeted Shannon because she lost the badge so she had some personal vendetta against her. In the end Zombie was like "You're 2 days down girls" and giving us this awful smile. Then Chaerin spoke up saying how we wasn't 2 days down because we did the days their advertisement said to do, it was Tesco's own fault for saying not to come in on Mondays otherwise we would have done. Zombie's face twisted up, it really looked awful but she didn't say anything because she knew we was right or maybe she was surprised we actually bothered to read the work experience ad. Zombie had been saying to come back later that day to get the certificates but then she changed it to next week Thursday, fine with us. Usually I speak up for the group but I think Chaerin wanted the honour of putting Zombie in her place, you go girl!

Anyway JCP needs to know that Tesco is going against what JCP said to you. If you've got anything to say, you'll have to call them yourself and tell them. The reason we were able to manipulate the two Saturdays and not go in is because there was zero contact between our Tesco and JCP. They basically left us so Tesco could bat us around. As I said, there were 3 girls and 3 boys. I don't think the boys spoke up because they had been deluded into thinking they would get a job out of it, but us girls knew better so they heard what we had to say. My mum made a joke out of it, saying how we're terrorizing Tesco and so we should!

In the last 4 days of our work experience we managed to find work in the clothing section. Actual work! We security tagged and learnt to de-tag (not that difficult lol) and got more confident using the lift since we had to use it quite often. And we were happily doing the work there, it didn't matter that the employee who was in the clothing area was sitting there on her Blackberry while we were doing her job, it was just nice to have something to do lool. I think we only managed to finish 4 in the entire 4 days because we kept getting pulled by this power-hungry supervisor to do put backs or rumble every minute. He never pulled the boys from what they were doing but he always did it to us, it's only yesterday I saw us all doing put backs at the same time. It didn't help that I had done put backs earlier that day and before the idiot asked me to do it again the state of the staff toilets were abysmal. That's including visible feminine hygiene products that wasn't so hygienic any more, so I was really upset and angry that some women could be so disgusting that when he asked me to do put backs I blew up at him. Not saying I regret it though.

I don't know about your tesco, but mine doesn't give recommendations. There's probably so many people going through the work experience scheme that they can't remember everyone, thankfully the clothing manager said she would give Shannon, Chaerin and myself a rec :) worth it, I'd say. Anywho, it's back to the charity shop for me!! :D This last month I've just been a robot going through the motions of Tesco, but now I'm freee!!

If you can stand up to Tesco on your own that's great, I however had the support of Chaerin and Shannon and a few of the employees who said that Tesco was taking us for a ride. What I will miss about Tesco is seeing Shannon and Chaerin and complaining about Tesco straight after we finished our shift. Oh yeah, there was no vacancies open (such a big shock :O) and the other work exp boy who started getting mouthy just because he made a friend that's an employee, suddenly quietened after that. I never take pleasure in other people's disappointment, but I had to make an exception for him. He was very rude to Chae and Shannon. Oh yeah, it's good to make friends too, I wouldn't have been able to finish this stupid "experience" if it wasn't for Chae and Shannon.

All the best of luck, in future xxx

Back