Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

wirless and wired

build

Banned
Hi

Can you get a wired and wireless router?

If so what is the best make for Virgen Cable

Many thanks

You certainly can, a lot of routers come with a four port switch built in.

As for suitability for Virgin, I have no idea. But I am pretty certain someone else can provide that info.

Netgear, Linksys or Belkin dsl router will do you for VM m8, they will be both wired and wireless so you can attach 4 wired connections and as many as you want on wireless.

Cheap as chips and works a treat for both wired and wireless is azure wave from maplins has 4 ports and is only £25 sheets.

I need to get my son a pc for christmas for his bedroom and i do not understand what (ONVOARD LAN) IS????
I have a xyxel router down stairs and he wants to use the internet upstairs and i know its possible and i have my password set for the router but what pc do i buy????

What i mean is do all computers come wireless ready......what do i need to look for when i buy one...

Onboard lan is just a nic card built onto the motherboard. What you need is a wireless NIc card, unless ya want to run a wire from the router to the new pc.

I dont want to use any wires upstairs i want him to access it wireless, i have been looking on pc world for a base unit and i dont see any description with wireless nic card...????? please help i need to have this done and dusted by next week really and i dont know where to buy from.
My budget is £250 max for just base unit

Okay i might be confusing myself..... i have a pc downstairs with a zyxel connected, i can use the ps3 upstairs and the wii which both connect no problem.
If i buy a pc will this connect automatically or am i looking for a specific pc ??

Last edited:
Not all PC's come with a wireless adapter. Some do, for instance mine does. A lot of laptops come with a wireless adapter built in, if in doubt just ask and you will be told.

Now, you can buy a wireless adapter for the PC seperately. You can get a card or you can get a USB one. This will allow you to connect to your wlan.

Also, something that might be a better solution and one that I always reccomend is powerline ethernet. This is a set of two plugs that let you turn your mains wiring into a LAN. Faster and more reliable than wifi imho.

Not all PC's come with a wireless adapter. Some do, for instance mine does. A lot of laptops come with a wireless adapter built in, if in doubt just ask and you will be told.

Now, you can buy a wireless adapter for the PC seperately. You can get a card or you can get a USB one. This will allow you to connect to your wlan.

Also, something that might be a better solution and one that I always reccomend is powerline ethernet. This is a set of two plugs that let you turn your mains wiring into a LAN. Faster and more reliable than wifi imho.

Sounds interesting....what price am i looking at for plugs and where do i buy them??
Am i right in thinking i can plug them into the sockets upstairs???? I'm A pain i know???
but if i dont ask my son will be very dissappointed if he cant go online

Yup, all you do is plug one in near your router so you can connect it with a patch cable. Then you plug the other in somewhere else in your house to get the LAN there. The other device could be anything that uses a network, like a PC or a switch (so you can add more hosts).

These are the fastest ones on the market: dabs.com - Devolo dLAN 200 AVeasy Starter Kit - HomePlug AV/ Powerline (1222)

I have four of these in my place so I could create a lan throughout my house.

They are more expensive than wireless access cards, but they are a lot faster and so much more reliable. I think if you shop around you can get them cheaper.

Thank you with all your help on here i have managed to get my head around it now.....i have azyxel and found this :

ZyXEL G-302 v3 Wireless 54Mbps 802.11g PCI Card (plug & paly in a pc that i buy that does not have wireless built in) IS THIS GOOD ENOUGH .....

costing about £14.00 (cheeper option)
But i heard that them plugs are sold most places and i had never heard of them, my partner is a bit unsure as its another plug to plug in.......

The plugs are great if you use them, so much more reliable than wifi and so much faster.

I have always had problems with wifi wherever I have been and what ever kit I was using.

But, yes the card you mention will do you fine. If you find a USB one cheaper, then its even easier to intall one of them.

That will do the trick no doubt pretty much all wireless cards do the same just some give better reception and therefore improved reliability and speeds. Just out of interest are you planning on getting your lad a desktop pc or a laptop ? Most laptops nowadays will come with onboard wireless adapter even the low end ones. Reason i ask is desktops are great if you need it to be a high performance machine (ie for gaming) but laptops offer a bit more in the way he can take it anywhere. Im have 2 desktops one in my lads room which is high end for gaming and one in my lounge which is an even more powerful gaming machine. Me laddo goes to high school next year so the weapon of choice will be a laptop for his coursework etc.

Back