Wiring getting started... Well kinda...

Bally12345

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok going to need massive amounts of help now, 2mw im going to start marking where sockets and tv points etc are going to go so the builder/electrician can start working asap.

Things I need to do:
  • DVB-C/S/T Distrubution
  • Network Cabling Cat5e or Cat6?!!
  • Telephone over ethernet not voip and possibly intercom
  • Broadband (most likely VM 50mb)
  • Alarm System
  • CCTV
  • Audio Wiring
All the above is being installed into a comms room where the fuse box is going to be.

Will need to decide whether I am going to have an addtional Sky box in the comms room which will distrubute to all the other rooms over hdmi.

Where there will be main TVs going to need 3 Coax Points so need faceplate for that will also need RJ45 for telephone and seperate faceplate for additional data points for consoles etc.

Need to decide on a multiswitch 5 input 24 output, a sat dish preferably (clear) with quatro LNB but what size? Some sort of multiswitch or amplified splitter for DVB-C cable.

Audio faceplates for speakers.

HDMI multiplexer?

Which Coax? Cat5e or Cat6? Will a Linksys WRT310N Wireless-N Gigabit Router with DD-WRT do the job for gigabit network using decent gigabit switch?

6-8 Channel CCTV system with network DVR and HDMI output so I can view on any tv in the house.

Would I need faceplates for HDMI connections?!

Need suppliers, prices and as much info as possible... Also read other threads about sound proofing and think greenstuff is going to cost too much but know the walls will be 100mm stud with insulation and 18mm ply board and plasterboard.

Any suggestions, any help, any advice all welcome... Lots of questions I know!!

Wouldnt know where to begin but heres a start

Need to decide on a multiswitch 5 input 24 output, a sat dish preferably (clear) with quatro LNB but what size? Some sort of multiswitch or amplified splitter for DVB-C cable.

I bought a non clear 1m sat dish off these guys, they've some good prices

HDMI multiplexer?

What ya need that for?

Which Coax? Cat5e or Cat6? Will a Linksys WRT310N Wireless-N Gigabit Router with DD-WRT do the job for gigabit network using decent gigabit switch?

I've run the SLX cable from tlcdirect

6-8 Channel CCTV system with network DVR and HDMI output so I can view on any tv in the house.

I ran 8 core cheapo cable from tlcdirect

Would I need faceplates for HDMI connections?!

I'm running these where possible

Need suppliers, prices and as much info as possible... Also read other threads about sound proofing and think greenstuff is going to cost too much but know the walls will be 100mm stud with insulation and 18mm ply board and plasterboard.

You could add density by building a 2" blockwork wall space permitting. In my old loft I used plasterboard on 18mm ply in 4" studwork insulated with Celotex and it did fook all for sound insulation.

Any suggestions, any help, any advice all welcome... Lots of questions I know!!

Awesome mate.

Not really much of a plan but this kinda the first floor, comms room is going in basement.

Where there is main tv viewing I am going to put 3 coax where theres normal or minimal viewing I am going to put 2 coax.

Cat6 throughout the house. The 5.1 surround system I already have so seems a waste not to use it. Will be buying new LED 55" to wall mount.

This is a nightmare!!

Think I will be using 75 ohm gas filled coaxial cable around the house for Sky, Freeview, Freesat, and Cable. Need to have a chat with digidude... Damn just thought might need quad faceplates if I am going to put cable points in the rooms is that correct?

Will also need some sort of 1 input 16 output hdmi in the comms. room

Last edited:
Bravo, we'll make an artist of you yet :Clap:

Gefen 1:8 go for around £35-£50 on the bay and usually don't suffer from handshake issue's.

I forgot to plan for speaker cable so make sure you don't miss that one out if you're distributing audio.

16 HDMI outs dosn't quite match up with ya Diagram Bally! LOL

Faceplates Modular or otherwise don't seem to cater for Cable distribution in the same way they do for Sat! Sat modules are able to filter signals to be able to run Sat n DTV signals down the same cable, but this filters out the Cable signals in my experience. I simply drill out a blank n fix a F-Type barrell to create an unfiltered connection if needed.

So If I were to create a double faceplate from modules to give me the most options to do whatever I wanted I would have 4 1/4 modules 2 would be CatX, 1 would be Sat n DTV and 1 would be 2 unfiltered connections as above.

My diagram is for the ground floor only, still have to work out the main cinema room in basement and 4 bedrooms on first floor and 2 bedrooms in loft!!!

I dont know how you guys do it... Wiring for speakers I am going to keep simple, going to go richersounds 2mw and get some ideas!

FWIW you can use Cat 5 for speaker wiring, its well documented and a cheap(er) alternative to normal speaker wire.

How does Diplex work? I have basically got 2 coax cables and 2 cat6 cables going to a double back box but is that right?

1 Coax carries Sat and Terr signal (diplexed) the other coax will carry cable signal.

Im planning on using modular faceplates so for that setup would I need 3 coax modules... I dont quite get what diplex is please help :)

diplexed is when 2 signals are mixed together to go down one cable, so the high frequencies of the satellite signals, and the low (in comparrison) frequencies of the terrestrial aerial are mixed together at the top of the cable. the socket at the bottom of the cable then has some filter circuitry in it, to split the signals back apart, and direct them to the relevant socket connector

the modular unit for sat/tv dpilexed is one unit that will take up 2 spaces on the faceplate, like this m8 TRIAX|304260|TV/SAT DIPLEXED WHITE MODULE | CPC

i use loads of this gear, its nice and simple

So thats 3 spaces taken up on one modular plate for 2 coax cables is that right? Gonna need more back boxes I think

Was going to start another thread but thought I would keep it in here! I could of been boring and got a normal ding dong door bell from pound shop but I have just placed a order for a Video Door Entry system!

691B-2.jpg
bellcam.jpg

One screen going downstairs and another on the upstairs landing with electronic door strike lock/ mortice lock

Sweet Bally, if you don't mind me asking how much did that set you back?

£475 in total :yikes: £474 over budget but hopefully worth every penny!

I guess it's good for telling cold callers to sod off you lazy git.

Back