Windows Vista running quite slow

garymce

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi there, I've got my hands on the build 6000 (RTM) of Windows Vista, and I've installed Windows Vista Ultimate in the 30-day evaluation mode. Some slight problems are popping up here and there though.

• Startup times once the computer loads the desktop are absolutely horrible. My system tray icons take almost a full minute to load, compared to Windows XP loading them in about ten seconds.
  • Gaming performance has taken a hit. I've noticed my framerates have dropped quite a bit. Example; on Windows XP, World of Warcraft was almost constantly above 30fps, with Vista it's sitting at about 20fps most of the time.
  • I like to talk on Google Talk or Windows Messenger while I play games. However, with Vista this is no longer an option. The moment I load WoW up, the voice conversation becomes horribly crackly and keeps breaking up or distorting what we're saying.

Here is my computer spec:
Processor: AMD 64 3500+ 2.2ghz socket 939
Graphics: GeForce 7600 GT using Windows Vista drivers from nVidia
RAM: 1.5gb DDR400

And here's the performace index Vista grades me with:
Processor: 4.1
Memory: 3.1 (lowest score)
Graphics: 5.9
Gaming graphics: 5.5
Primary hard disk: 4.8

I'm absolutely stumped as what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Your system spec look fine although I had heard that Vista was a greedy ba*tard with the resourses. I know my company want to avoid moving to it at all costs as it would mean about 80% of upgrades to PC's.

I've got a Vista disc at home but am sticking with XP for the meantime?

Sorry I could'nt help more?

have you install 32bit or 64bit version, both these versions are on same disk, if you have installed 64bit version there is a lot of trouble with that, every i have spoken to who installed it said reinstall 32bit version and it runs fine, try that m8.

Your processor might be holding you back a bit. Remember it is built for PCs that are made from now onwards. These are usually at least 3GHz now. I've installed on a 2.6ghz, it just about ran smoothly. I could tell it was at the very boundaries.

Perhaps when you play games you could turn off aero? Might give you a few more resources.

And remember, 6000 is not the final build, as from now until January, there will be a huge number of drivers put into it.

the amd 3500+ is meant to work at a pentium 4 runnin at 3.5ghz

so i would say his cpu is ok

but what type of ram and timing's u got and may be ur motherboard lettin u down?

The spec is fine. I've ran Vista on an Athlon XP 2000+ with super cheap memory and it ran fine (if you can call Vista fine?).

Its more likely a problem in the build with your system. Unfortunately it happens. Just go around all of the manufacturers websites for your hardware bring down all of the Vista drivers. And like mentioned above, try both the 64bit and 32bit versions.

Back