Game plays with sound and no picture! Help!

jaymar13

Inactive User
Reaction score
All games I have tried to install on my PC will load up play sound but my television monitor screen displays a message saying "Mode Not Supported".

I am currently trying to play Left 4 Dead, on the Steam platform. Steam seems to load fine but Left 4 Deed gets to the same "Mode Not Supported" message. If I ALT+TAB to another program, it returns to normal, and the game can be seen minimized in the taskbar, and can be ended through the Task Manager.

I have tried all available resolutions (800x600 to 1600x1200) and Refresh Rates (60-85Hz) but I always encounter that same error message once the game loads.

My monitor is a Samsung HD TV (See full spec below)

I've exhausted all efforts I can think of, and was wondering if anyone could help, or indeed, had encountered this problem before?
My System Spec are below.
I'd much appreciate your help. :)

O/S: Windows Vista Home Basoc (6.0, Build 6001)
System Manufacturer: Ei Systems
Model: Ei401
BIOS: Phoenix AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel Core2 CPU [email protected] (2CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 2558MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 10

Graphics
Nvidia GeForce 9400GT
Driver Version 8.15.0011.8585
DDI Version: 10
Intergrated RAMDAC
Approx Total Memory: 1524MB
Current Display Mode: 1360 x 768 (32bit 60Hz)
Monitor: Samsung NE32456C 10,000x1 Contrast Ratio 50HZ(?) 32" 720p HD TV

Had this problem many times m8,you need to find out where the config file for the particular game is stored,usually documents folder but can also be in Users/whatever your name is/AppData/Local and find the config file that has the video settings in and edit it to match a working res from your monitor,
Works for me anyway although it can be a pain finding the config file in the first place.

When you say
I have tried all available resolutions (800x600 to 1600x1200) and Refresh Rates (60-85Hz) but I always encounter that same error message once the game loads...
do you mean the screen resolution within Windows' display settings or from within Steam itself?

As you need to set the resolution in the second instance. To do so, in steam, navigate to the 'my games' tab > right click L4D (or any other game you want to play) > properties > set launch options...

Add -width 1360 and try to launch the game. This should tell the game to launch using the native width of the sammy.

If that doesn't work repeat the steps above, but add -height 768, so you've got -width 1360 -height 768.

If that doesn't work, repleace the width and height attributes with -windowed or -sw, this should launch the game in a windowed mode. From here you should be able to set the game's resolution from the default start res to the screen's native res by going into options > video.

When you say

do you mean the screen resolution within Windows' display settings or from within Steam itself?

As you need to set the resolution in the second instance. To do so, in steam, navigate to the 'my games' tab > right click L4D (or any other game you want to play) > properties > set launch options...

Add -width 1360 and try to launch the game. This should tell the game to launch using the native width of the sammy.

If that doesn't work repeat the steps above, but add -height 768, so you've got -width 1360 -height 768.

If that doesn't work, repleace the width and height attributes with -windowed or -sw, this should launch the game in a windowed mode. From here you should be able to set the game's resolution from the default start res to the screen's native res by going into options > video.
changed the width, works perfectly! thanks mate :)
just need to be able to find out how you use the xbox controller with the game, ive got a feeling i cant and its just key board and mouse....

Back