Windows Update - Not working!?

lefty1

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to use windows update, but it isn't updating (see attached error).
I've googled the problem and have tried to amend local services to ensure the necessary services are automatically running and started, however the windows update one seems to re-adjust itself back to disabled. i've also downloaded and run winfix it and it doesn't seem to fix the problem.

After starting the windows update services from local services, i am able to run windows update but i get no result as it is continuously trying to find new updates, but it doesn't actually produce a result!

This is so frustrating, because i have an old printer and i'm only able to find the driver via windows update - i'm running windows 7 64-bit. I can't even install my antivirus software!

I've read stuff on this forum where instead of waiting for windows update, i am able to just download the update from the windows website manually?

You help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Attachments

• Windows update error.gif
    Windows update error.gif
    43.8 KB · Views: 25
Click on the Start button
in the Search box, type
SERVICES.MSC
hit the Enter key
Accept any UAC prompt that appears, and in the Services control panel, look for the following

Background Intelligent Transfer Service -
double-click on it
Check the Startup type - ensure that it is set to 'Automatic (Delayed Start),
and OK out

Windows Update
double-click on it
and OK out

If the above doesn't sort it, can you afford to use system restore, back to your last successful update ?

Or, possibly the one prior to that, depends what caused your problem.

Click on the Start button
in the Search box, type
SERVICES.MSC
hit the Enter key
Accept any UAC prompt that appears, and in the Services control panel, look for the following

Background Intelligent Transfer Service -
double-click on it
and OK out

Windows Update
double-click on it
and OK out

Thanks guys, yep i've tried this and Background Intelligent Transfer Service stays as enabled and started but Windows Update resets to disabled automatically.

I'm trying everything before i restore, restoring isn't going to be easy because i have lots of movies and series on my laptop and it needs to be backed up - i don't have a big enough external hard drive for this!

what's strange is that i can't even load my anti virus, i double click the icon and nothing happens likewise with any malware software i download - they don't seem to open for me!!?

Thanks guys, yep i've tried this and Background Intelligent Transfer Service stays as enabled and started but Windows Update resets to disabled automatically.

I'm trying everything before i restore, restoring isn't going to be easy because i have lots of movies and series on my laptop and it needs to be backed up - i don't have a big enough external hard drive for this!

what's strange is that i can't even load my anti virus, i double click the icon and nothing happens likewise with any malware software i download - they don't seem to open for me!!?

Sounds like a virus. Run MalwareBytes, a few times from safe mode.

Use "safe mode with networking" to get MalwareBytes first, if you haven't already got the current version.

The updates may have been stopped by the virus, because windows update has a malware removal tool.

the last lot of windows updates that came out this month there is a problem with one of the security updates 2823324 and i think it affects Kaspersky saying its not registered and others to fail altogether. MS advise rolling back that update.

see Windows 7 'security' patch knocks out PCs, knackers antivirus tools ? The Register

note a MicroSoft "system restore" doesn't wipe all your data its basically registry, programs installed since last restore and drivers (+ a bit more) if you do a manufactures restore this will.

see What types of files does System Restore change?

the last lot of windows updates that came out this month there is a problem with one of the security updates 2823324 and i think it affects Kaspersky saying its not registered and others to fail altogether. MS advise rolling back that update.

see Windows 7 'security' patch knocks out PCs, knackers antivirus tools ? The Register

note a MicroSoft "system restore" doesn't wipe all your data its basically registry, programs installed since last restore and drivers (+ a bit more) if you do a manufactures restore this will.

see What types of files does System Restore change?

It is worth checking, but when I checked at the time, KB2823324 was never applied to mine.
Maybe because I have updates configured to "download and advise", not automatic.

nothing seems to be working to be honest. i cant run malware in safe mode with networking it doesn't work!
I think i may need to do a system wipe arrghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

I had a virus lime this the other day pc wouldn't let me do anything wouldn't let me download any programs from net not even text files could not run antivirus programmes or even install them
What I did to fix it was go Into msconfig disabled all start up programmes the I disabled every services then rebooted pc then it let me install malwarbytes and run it which removed virus and everything was back to normal I did a full scan off everything took hours left it running all night

Back