Windows 98 Not Booting

X-PAC

DW Member ++
Reaction score
i just updated windows 98 on my ibm thinkpad 600e. Now it wont start up properly and says invalid disk replace the disk and press any key when i turn it on, thing is i dont have the disk anymore what can i do?

Dutcho said:
Go into the setup on the lappy and change the boot option to cd first, then boot up with your 98 cd (if it's the bootable version) and format the lappy and reinstall.

You can get xp to run on that ;) I did.
l dont think u have a bootable like me a dutcho have said m8 if u had u only have to change settings to cd first and boot with cd in and start from cd and all the menus r on screen , have installed to hundreds of lappy and pc 's and without a bootable cd its not going to work , download an iso image instead of a rar or zip m8...(and more driver on 2000 windows on)

cant install 2000 not enough ram it was an iso the i unrared it, do u know where i can get a good 98 bootable cd?

X-PAC said:
cant install 2000 not enough ram it was an iso the i unrared it, do u know where i can get a good 98 bootable cd?
how did u write your iso to disc m8 and have to put it in your other pc to see if it autostarts

no it doesrnt auto run or work itll scome u pwith a windows 98 screen and if i click on something it says insert cd when its alredy in there, i downladed the iso and un rared it on my pc then wrote the files to cd.

X-PAC said:
no it doesrnt auto run or work itll scome u pwith a windows 98 screen and if i click on something it says insert cd when its alredy in there, i downladed the iso and un rared it on my pc then wrote the files to cd.
u cant unrar an iso image , the iso could be one file ie windows.iso and u have to use copy from image with your burning software , have u got nero

done with dvd decrypter now wen in laptop it gives me choice boot form hard disk or boot from cd i choose cd then black screen appereas with this - flashing but nothing else is happening.

X-PAC said:
done with dvd decrypter now wen in laptop it gives me choice boot form hard disk or boot from cd i choose cd then black screen appereas with this - flashing but nothing else is happening.
l cant see any other reason why its not working everythin u see on the screen will be from cd so if theres nothin comin u might be the disc ? have u an xp disc just to see if that autostarts on boot and format from that

i got windows xp cd it doesnt autorun on my pc ut does have autorun program o it when put in laptop nothin happens.

X-PAC said:
i got windows xp cd it doesnt autorun on my pc ut does have autorun program o it when put in laptop nothin happens.
that cant be a boot disc m8 , have lots of copy that dont boot , cant work out why it want take win 2000 its the same as 98's spec ? looks like its back to downloading a different one , there nothin left to do if u cant boot from cd m8

X-PAC said:
win 2000 needs more ram than win 1998
windows me will work
System Requirements for Windows Me
The basic System Requirements for Windows Me are:

28.8 Kbs modem or faster with current Internet connection
CD-ROM drive
Sound card
Speakers or headphones
Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
VGA or higher resolution monitor
Pentium 150MHz processor or better
32MB of RAM or better
Minimum 320MB free hard-disk space

got windows me i started it said how wud u like to start i said with cd rom support, then it said all this other crap now it says
your cd rom is drive E
A:\>

Now what

Back