Windows 98 Not Booting

X-PAC

DW Member ++
Reaction score
i just updated windows 98 on my ibm thinkpad 600e. Now it wont start up properly and says invalid disk replace the disk and press any key when i turn it on, thing is i dont have the disk anymore what can i do?

when the laptop starts i choose start with cd support then it comes up with
A:\>

i type format it then formats and once complete says

I type in E: it now says
E:\>
i then type setup it says

E:\>SETUP

bad command or file name

Ive tried it with D aswell, also ive read about it says have the cd and floppy disk in (boot disk)
but my laptop hoas interchangeable drives meaning that u have to take the cdrom drive out and swap it with floppy disk drive if u want to use a floppy disk and the other way round.

X-PAC said:
when the laptop starts i choose start with cd support then it comes up with

i type format it then formats and once complete says

bad command or file name

Ive tried it with D aswell, also ive read about it says have the cd and floppy disk in (boot disk)
but my laptop hoas interchangeable drives meaning that u have to take the cdrom drive out and swap it with floppy disk drive if u want to use a floppy disk and the other way round.
if u r booting with a cd it should start and go into a blue screen ? only goes into a:> when booting from a drive . u cant boot from a drive and the swap your drives over ,
is the bois set to first boot cd
if it start from cd there will be 2 menus 1 start fron cd and 2 start from hard drive,
have u seen them?
a little more info m8 please , l know your getting pis**d off ,, bin there m8 , ,

ps. in bois what does it say about hard drive i.e size and name

Last edited:
OK complete instructions for windows 98 and start up disk

the attached files are from windows 98 startup disk,

creating a STARTUP Disk
1) put empty floppy disk in drive right click and left click on format (put a tick in bottom box where it says "create an ms-dos start-up disk"

2) after format is complete copy the attached files to disk and restart windows with disk in drive

formating h/drive and installing windows 98

1) once the computer has rebooted and windows starts you should see
A:/ (or \)
2) after a:/ type in "fdisk" so it should look like a:/fdisk

you should see about 4 options, from here what we are going to do is delete the partition and recreate a partition then we should be able to format and wildows will install

3) click on"delete primary dos partition"

4) then click "create primary ~"
5) partition c: (c: - your hard drive) with 100% usage (at this stage your computer may want to restart, so restart computer when ever it wants to and then carry on (just type fdisk and click on the next title in the options)
6) reset pc
7) a:\type "formate c:" so it should look like "a:\format c:"

at this stage your hard drive should start to format once complete windows 98 will be allowed to be installed on your hard drive

your cd drive will be recognised as e:\ *at this stage so just type e:\setup and installations should start.

*(OR change the boot sequence from the bios cd rom first then hard drive second the rest dont matter what order they are)

i hope this helps, i know you've got a start up disk already try it with that first with my instructions if that fails then try it my start up files :)

if i've missed somert let me know i'll edit accordingly

i have not tried the following just downloaded it and passed it on to you
the second attachment "win95b boot disk" will create a startup disk for you and gives instructions how to install it. that was taken from :- http://www.putergeek.com

it's also compatible with win98 and winme

Last edited:
i stii need help, ive wiped the hardisk and have a win 98/me cd i put the cd in choose start with cd support and this comes up

bad command or file name

have you tried changing the boot sequence

1st cdrom
2nd hard drive

(the others dont matter what order they are)

with your windows 98 cd in restart the computer and you should come across "boot computer from cd" <-- or somert very similar

X-PAC said:
i stii need help, ive wiped the hardisk and have a win 98/me cd i put the cd in choose start with cd support and this comes up

bad command or file name

what happens when u write E:\>dir/p/w then enter m8

Back