Win7 only allowing me to format extrernal HDD to either NTFS or exFAT.

witchy

Banned for good!
Reaction score
I've split my 1TB drive into 2 partitions, 1 500Gb WBFS and 1 500Gb of unformatted space.

When I try to format the 2nd partition I am preasent with only NTFS of exFAT.

where the fook is my plain old vanilla FAT or FAT32?

:err:

EDIT....

Ah, it's just struck me, FAT is limited in size isn't it?
My partition must be too large.

Last edited:
I've split my 1TB drive into 2 partitions, 1 500Gb WBFS and 1 500Gb of unformatted space.

When I try to format the 2nd partition I am preasent with only NTFS of exFAT.

where the fook is my plain old vanilla FAT or FAT32?

:err:

I just checked mine its NTFS as well, I would not worry mine works fine.

Edit: I missed your edit lol

Last edited:
I just checked mine its NTFS as well, I would not worry mine works fine.

Edit: I missed your edit lol

Oh, the Wii can read NTFS? :err:

I've repartitioned and now I have....

500GB WBFS
400GB NTFS
100GB Unformatted - but I want it to be FAT for WiiWare WADS.

So you're saying the Wii will read the Wads from the NTFS pertition ok, or have I picked you up wrong?

I'd much rather be using NTFS, FAT is too old and poopy.

Oh, the Wii can read NTFS? :err:

I've repartitioned and now I have....

500GB WBFS
400GB NTFS
100GB Unformatted - but I want it to be FAT for WiiWare WADS.

So you're saying the Wii will read the Wads from the NTFS pertition ok, or have I picked you up wrong?

I'd much rather be using NTFS, FAT is too old and poopy.

Right mate get you now, I'm running FAT of sd card. The drive I checked is one I use to store backs up of the back ups if you know what I mean, sorry for the confusion

Right mate get you now, I'm running FAT of sd card. The drive I checked is one I use to store backs up of the back ups if you know what I mean, sorry for the confusion

No probs mate, I kinda suspected you were. :)

Griz's tool will sort me out hopefully.

I'm still not out the woods :)

Griz's tool allowed me to format a 100GB partition to FAT.

So now I have...

500GB WBFS - working great. :)
100GB FAT - Wii USB loader cannot see it. :(
400GB NTSC - Xbox360 cannot see it. :(

Win7 Disk Management reports each partition as Healthy (Primary Partition), so should all partitions be useable to those devices that can read the appropriate file system?

i.e...

The Wii should be able to see WBFS and FAT but not NTFS.
The Xbox should be able to see FAT and NTFS but not WBFS.

I know that only 1 partition can be Active at any one time and currently the drive has WBFS set active so that's why the USB Loader can see and load the Wii games, but if a partition is not active, does that mean it becomes invisible? :err:

If so, is there a tool for the Wii that can change the active partition?

Last edited:
I know that only 1 partition can be Active at any one time and currently the drive has WBFS set active so that's why the USB Loader can see and load the Wii games, but if a partition is not active, does that mean it becomes invisible?

You can usually only have one active primary partition per drive available to a sytem at any one time. The other primaries (non active) are usually not made available to Windoze OS's.

Do you need the extra partitions to be primaries ?

I think you might have to play with the position of the partitions try fat wbfs ntsc and the change them until the wii can see both partitions the usbloader gx should be on the fat partition. I think the ntfs partition should be last but try swapping with the wbfs one
"partiton wizard home" will let you move the partitions round without loosing the data.

edogg

There has been no limit to the size of a FAT partition within windows since XP SP1. The ~128GB 'limit' was due to the OS not the file system (FAT32 can have volume capacities upto 16TiB when using 64KB clusters). FAT32 file size is limited to 4Gb however.

According to a famous search engine the 360 doesn't support NTFS on the USB connection. Apparently it can only see the primary partition too...

Last edited:
make sure the partition is less than 32GB.

Which one?

According to a famous search engine the 360 doesn't support NTFS on the USB connection. Apparently it can only see the primary partition too...

Ahh, that explains a lot.

I assumed that it would be NTFS, back to FAT32 for the entire drive.

I should have this sorted pretty soon now that I know this. :)

yep good old M$ can't even work with there own technologies :proud:

the 360 will however will work with MAC disks. So on the off chance you want to access files bigger than 4Gb (like a high def WMV file) on a 360 using a external drive, get a copy of Macdrive and format it as a Mac Disk. Makes the 360 think its an iPod :banana:

yep good old M$ can't even work with there own technologies :proud:

the 360 will however will work with MAC disks. So on the off chance you want to access files bigger than 4Gb (like a high def WMV file) on a 360 using a external drive, get a copy of Macdrive and format it as a Mac Disk. Makes the 360 think its an iPod :banana:

Interesting.

But will the Wii be able to read it?

I've just reformatted the entire 1TB to FAT32, and so far everyrthing is working fine, Xbox can play my Divx and the Wii can play (most) .iso's - I'm ahving some teething problems with some games, specifically Silent Hill, it'll run fine when launched through any of the WBFS USB Launchers, but I'm getting an error when trying to launch it from the FAT32 drive.

I'd really prefer having supprt for HD movie file sizes, Fat32 just isn't enough. :(

dont know if this is any help m8

"The specifications for both systems are as follows:

Fat32

* Use it if your hard drive is 32GB or less.
* Is slightly faster than NTFS, but not by much.
* Can be used by other Operating Systems. If you plan on having multiple operating systems on your machine, you want FAT32.

NTFS

* Should be used if your hard drive is greater than 32GB
* Has better compression allowing you to store more data.
* Has file security.

In generaly, with drive sizes being by default greater than 32GB, you should use NTFS. NTFS also gives you greater security on your hard drive to eliminate possible unauthorized access of your data.

On the other hand, if you are using Windows 95,98, or ME, NTFS is not an option so you must use FAT32. You will also want to use FAT32 when you have multiple operating systems on one computer."

pulled it from elsewhere

Which one?

Ahh, that explains a lot.

I assumed that it would be NTFS, back to FAT32 for the entire drive.

I should have this sorted pretty soon now that I know this. :)

the Wii can only read games from a wbfs formatted partition.

edogg

the Wii can only read games from a wbfs formatted partition.

edogg

No it doesn't. :)

It'll read FAT32, depending on what Loader you use.

I use Configurable USB Loader which will read from WBFS, FAT32 and even NTFS.

My entire drive is now FAT32, the Wii and Xbox360 can now read from the same partition. :)

My entire drive is now FAT32, the Wii and Xbox360 can now read from the same partition. :)

I stand corrected by the "master" thats really good to know Im going to try it now

edogg

how do you get a wii iso on to a fat 32 drive

edogg

Back