Will a RS-232 to USB work ... need to revive a Dreambox

mashster

Inactive User
Reaction score
My PC does not have a RS-232, so I bought one of these USB adapters, will it work?

Thanking you in advance

Mashster

They can be temperamental, I got a star tech one cost about £20, had no bother with it but lots of people report problems with the cheaper ones

Always better to buy a pci-serial port,having said that if you can get the right drivers it should work ok :)

If you are lucky - yes!

The USB to RS232 adapters are notoriously choosy and any particular adapter will work with one setup and not another.

You should try your adapter to see if it will work in your setup (if it does not work you will not know where to place the blame).

If it fails to work you must choose either to get a cheap PC with an RS232 port - speed is relatively unimportant - or post details of your setup and see if anyone with a similar setup can give you details of an adapter they use successfully.

it works perfectly i have windows 7 premium usb to 232 type HQCC-146

My PC does not have a RS-232, so I bought one of these USB adapters, will it work?

Thanking you in advance

Mashster

basically yes mate i had the same set up as my computer is new..flashed my box a hundred times this way.
just make sure you install drivers it should have come with disc.

You pays ya money, you take ya chances......

I used one of these on a 15KvA UPS once.....took the whole site down as it shorted out the management card.

That said, I just bought one for a Procurve 2810 48G I just aquired for a song..

Back