WiiKey v2 Mod gone wrong

If you ask The Cheecky Monkey nicely, he might do you one of the best repairs you could get.

Honestly.. the iron must haveen way to hot or you held it on far too long to do that sort of damage and IC seg soldering isnt for the faint hearted.

TCM's guides practically taught me to solder...Ive seen his repair work before on Xbox 1's and PS2's and its immense.... Getting him to do it probably the hard part ;)

No offence to any of the others work who has posted here.

I second that mate. some of his guides have been a massive help to me too.

No offer to repair it then? :p

If the drive is working ok and would like me to repair,and it please give us a Pm
I would get it done asap, but please bear with us as we only lost mom in law on saturday, after losing dad in January,
but would do my best to help out....

Hi all,

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Also thanks for the offer XBC.

How do I know if the drive is working ? at the moment if I plug the drive into the wi and insert a disc it pullls it in then spits it right back out again.

Looking at the board again I noticed that I have bridged a connection when removing the old wires.

I am awaiting a delivery of a small (1mm) tip and a fibreglass pen to remove some of the rubbish on the pcb.

I am gonna have a go at cleaning the board up and will try it again before I do anything.

Regards
Paul

You need to remove that bridge with solder wick or braid dibbed in a bit of flux
best to remove any solder splashes, before you try the drive again.

I would not use that fiber glass pen all you need is a small bottle of Isppropanol from the chemist and then clean the area with this and the let it dry

If you get stuck give us a shout and I can check drive board under a stereo microscope
but give the above a try

You need to remove that bridge with solder wick or braid dibbed in a bit of flux
best to remove any solder splashes, before you try the drive again.

I would not use that fiber glass pen all you need is a small bottle of Isppropanol from the chemist and then clean the area with this and the let it dry

If you get stuck give us a shout and I can check drive board under a stereo microscope
but give the above a try

OK I will get some Isppropanol, remove the bridge and give the board a clean.

Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks Again
Paul

OK I will get some Isppropanol, remove the bridge and give the board a clean.

Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks Again
Paul

to be honest, any type of common solvent will do, meths / acetone etc etc, dab a bit on a cotton bud and clean all points, and leave to dry. get some osopropoloplop (cant even say it, never mind spell it) if you are plainning on doing more.

as said, the fibre glass pen is a good tool, especially for getting rid of burnt bits ;), but not too good for what you need i think.

seeing as i`m in a good mood (or should that be mod) , i`ll repair it for nothing for ya.

send me the drive and your chip, i`lll clean everything up for ya and get it soldered in.

as a one off! ;)

just the drive and chip.

p.m. me if you want it done, obviously you cover postage.

Sorry if I was misunderstood I was only charging the postage, to the was no charge for fixing this, as have I done for other on here before when I can.
I see Cheekymonkey has good feedback on this thread So, I would take him up on his offer, then you have no risk of causing amymore damage.

XBC:

In no way was anything against you, I think TCM is just doing a good deed as you were offering too..

Main thing is he gets it sorted, and Ive seen you mod work, its good....

Paul, here is some of TCM's repairs

TCM - I hope you dont mind, work like this needs shown for modders to aspire to ;)

The Cheeky Monkey said:
Believe it or not this was actually working in the state shown in the picture (i took the customers word for it), after viewing an innitial photo from him , i said i would look at it, his picture was blurred and i couldnt actually see the mess on the drive chip, only when i got it, and opened her up, did i realise this was probably not a fix-able job, i rung him and thats when he told me it was working with originals. His son had took it to his mates dad who did the install, anyway he tried the wiikey settings disk, which didnt work, so he opened and seen this :-

1raw.jpg

2raw.jpg

3raw.jpg

Not the worst install ive seen, but certainly the worst Wii install so far.

Started working in it.

4cleaned.jpg

5cleaned.jpg

6straightened.jpg

8installed.jpg

[Note] See the infamous wig tape [/NOTE]

I know there are some track from the chip disconnected, and i do know that there is a component missing, but i thought hell, give it a go, the customer told me he didnt want it back as it was, even though it worked with originals, he wanted it cleaning, and if it stopped working, it wasnt my problem, so i just cleaned everything, and straightened all the pins, made sure non where shorted and did a normal install.

and guess what

it works fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then the one PleXo modded when he was 11 :p (only kidding fella)

innitial.jpg

To

Repair.jpg

Wii is in safe hands with this guy, and the above is why he needs back in the game!!!!

To fix my cockups ;)

XBC:

In no way was anything against you, I think TCM is just doing a good deed as you were offering too..

Main thing is he gets it sorted, and Ive seen you mod work, its good....

Paul, here is some of TCM's repairs

TCM - I hope you dont mind, work like this needs shown for modders to aspire to ;)

Oggy I did not say anyone had, what I ment to have said was, I had not worded it, correct in my first post and that I would not have charged to repair his wii, and only would have only cost the postage, and I am sure TCM will do a great job

Paul PM me today and said that with my Mom in law just passing away he did not want to trouble me, getting it repaired by me.

Just making sure everything was clear mate. :)

Then the one PleXo modded when he was 11 :p (only kidding fella)

innitial.jpg

To

Repair.jpg

:eek: il have you know i only started modding when i was 14 ;)

first mod was a ps2 wee buns lol to think of the mess it turned out to be and still worked :Laugh:

i have some pics of ones i have fixed somewhere will hunt them out tonight after work

bloomin eck , they still shock me now when i see them lol.

No disrespect meant to anyone if i offended, or generally put me foot in it.

either way paul looks at it, he`s gonna get his wii fixed for practially free from either of us.

:D

cheers ogg (and everyone else.)

wow, thats a cockup and a half!!!

I thinks he used a blow torch to do that......lol

hope it gets fixed for yer mate

Back