Wiibrew Warning: Wii Batch IOS update released, do not update

bro

Inactive User
Reaction score
If you value your Wiibrew, better no update to the latest issue from Nintendo just yet.

The latest update contains changes to various IOS versions, according to Wiibrew.org, and updating isn't recommended at this point until more is known about it.

It won't be surprising if the latest update really does have more homebrew blocks, as Nintendo has pulled off that kind of thing in past updates.

Here is a list of the updated IOS versions according to the Wiibrew Wiki:

* IOS16
o Likely added to thwart its use for piracy.
* IOS38
o Slightly updated version (one minor version number) of the title included with Animal Crossing: City Folk.
* IOS60
o High version number suggests this is the latest IOS currently available and will likely be used for the 3.5 System Menu update for Japan, US and European regions.
* IOS61
o Possible use as the new Shop Channel IOS.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiBrew:News

I’ll keep this brief.

• Nintendo, as expected, half-assed the SD feature by just automating the copy to NAND. No surprise there.
  • The IOS16 that warez users used to pirate is no longer an option, thank goodness.
  • HBC survives. So does DVDX.
  • They fixed the bug that the HBC installer and DVDX 3.4 installer use; time to bring out another one.
  • Twilight Hack no longer works. I’d like to remind everyone that this exploit has been in use for over a year. Whether it comes back or a new game exploit takes its place, I think we can say it’s served us all well.
  • No new problems expected with BootMii, other than needing a new exploit as mentioned above.
http://hackmii.com/2009/03/system-menu-40-rundown/

Last edited:
is 3.5e out?

the first thing you should watch out for if softmodding for the first time is say NO to update when you first connect Wii to the internet.

looks like a Softmii block

What I've read is that this is probably 3.4Ev2 or something like that and that it updates via the Shop Channel. Users over at GBATemp that have updated their Wii yesterday were still able to do the downgrade etc. If this is true I dont know but we'll have to wait.

I also think that the guys over at hackmii already have another exploit ready instead of TP, but thats just me guessing :silly:

Just read the article over at HackMii. The say its fw 4.0. My bad.
And from Marcan in the comments: New exploits exist and are on the way.

Last edited:
will be intresting to see how this pans out as i have modded a couple wii and the ones on 3.3 cant copy tp hack so i have to upgrade them to 3.4 first anyone know a way around this?

Use an original of Mario Power Tennis. It has the 3.4 updates on the disc.

just out of intrest why cant the 3.3e wiis not copy the tp hack m8 i thought there was a tp 3.1-3.3 and another for 3.4, cheers for the heads up scarfish thats good to know ill stick it on download now lol.

Last edited:
just out of intrest why cant the 3.3e wiis not copy the tp hack m8 i thought there was a tp 3.1-3.3 and another for 3.4, cheers for the heads up scarfish thats good to know ill stick it on download now lol.

theres 3.3e and 3.3e v1 m8

or was it v2 lol

They were named 3.3v1 and 3.3v2. In 3.3v2 its blocked for whatever reason :(

@Marra: You need an original for this on a virgin Wii ;)

Hackers release application which leaves out new protection in v4.0

Wanikoko has released a new homebrew hack for the Wii that will essentially download and install all the new features in the Official v4.0 Wii system menu update BUT leaves out the new protection which has been added by Nintendo. Full details are available at Teknoconsolas.es.

The ioses will also have the trucha bug but one reason not to upgrade to 4.0 is that you'll lose the capability of using preloader or starfall. They both wont work with it (starfall is obvious because its for 3.2 but preloader will crash your system menu). Another problem at the moment is that when you update to 4.0 with a virgin Wii you'll have to wait for a new hack before you can do anything with it (like modding it or installing the homebrew channel).

Next step: patch IOS 60 with the DIP module and we'll be able to play backups from the disc channel again (if all the other ioses are patched using SoftMii/CIOSCORP).

Last edited:
so you cant downgrade from 4.0 then as yet?

you can downgrade from 4.0 but only if you already have a cios and the homebrew channel installed before updating to 4.0. You can't if your 4.0 Wii is virgin.

does anyone have the problem of not being able to copy tp hack to the wii memory on 3.3e thats the only reason i was updating to get around this anyone have a soulition

There's a system menu 3.3v2 on which you cant copy the hack. You should upgrade to 3.4 and use hack 0.1beta2 (you could try this one out on 3.3v2 of course but I guess it wont work). The way to upgrade to 3.4 is to use a disc with that update on it, Mario Power Tennis for example.

thanks scarfish are there any other games with this update have about 20 original games but dont have that one and will the game just update the firmware or have you got to do it manualy thanks

Sorry but I dont know of an other game with the 3.4 update.

ok thanks mate i will do a bit of research on it

You can download updates with WUM (Wii update manager) and apply them to a backup ISO and then burn it.. that's how I updated mine to 3.2 a while back. Dunno if that helps you..

You can download updates with WUM (Wii update manager) and apply them to a backup ISO and then burn it.. that's how I updated mine to 3.2 a while back. Dunno if that helps you..

You should be able to play backup games before you can do this. This is not the case if your on 3.3v2 if it wont let you use the Twilight Hack.

Back