Wii Firmware Update 3.0

i just updated the kids wii and i got no warning at all, only asked if i wanted to update or not, clicked yes and everything's fine, playing backups no problem. seems a bit strange that some people are getting a warning and others like myself are not.

I wonder if it is only NTSC machines that are getting the warning?

Probably yet more made up nonsense, too many kids on the net these days. :)

I got the multiple channels by not patching Pokemon, so I'll let you know what happens when i update to 3.0. Either a warning message or a bricked Wii i think :)

Just updated my NTSC console fitted with WiiFree and booted backups successully with no warning message.

Looks like if anything, Nintendo are just trying to put the wind up us.

rubbish just like the post about leaving the wii hooked up to connect 24, if you dont remember that post look it up, scaremongering is all it is, come on do you really think they would give you a warning that the update would brick your modded console, i dont think so, think about it.

I got the multiple channels by not patching Pokemon, so I'll let you know what happens when i update to 3.0. Either a warning message or a bricked Wii i think :)

Mine has successfully updated to 3.0 with Wiikey, but has still got the duplicate channels.

PAL and NTSC games still working fine :)

Last edited:
Just updated (took unusually long) and everything is A OK! digital clock looks slik, nice simple feature

Updated PAL with WiiKey, works same as before. GC backups still work and my Wii Backups. :p

i like the way the blue ring lights up when you put in a disc of eject it now!

Anyway I could get this update without connecting the wii to the web ?

Have to probably wait a month till a pal game gets released with it which is still kinda risky ain't it ?

The warning message is part of the 3.0 update. I.e. if you run system update after installing the 3.0 firmware you will get the 'this upgrade could cause inoperability of your console' warning. Still seems like scare tactics, but I suppose it could be Nintendo getting their legal ducks in a row before trying to brick modded consoles with a future update. How that would be possible with a drive mod I don't know, time will tell.

It seems nintendo may well have something up there sleeves yet! this update no longer allows you to use the wiifree config disk, not sure if you can still use any other config disks for other chips.

It seems nintendo may well have something up there sleeves yet! this update no longer allows you to use the wiifree config disk, not sure if you can still use any other config disks for other chips.

Heard of some WiiKey config disks stopped working, but mine works ok??

I've got WiiFree 2.45 and updated my Wii last night.

After I updated I put in a backup of Warioware and it wouldn't recognise the disc, at this point I was pooping myself but I put my backup of Mario Strikers in and it worked. All backups now working so don't know what happened.

Wii update breaks Freeloader - no more import GC games

The latest Wii firmware upgrade, released yesterday, hides a dirty little secret. If you've been using Datel's handy Freeloader disc to play import GameCube games on your Wii the latest update is going to ruin all your fun.

If you've updated your Wii the Freeloader will no-longer work. It's unclear whether this was an intentional move by Nintendo to discourage importing, or just an unforeseen compatibility issue.

We spoke to Datel who is also unsure of the situation at this time. A spokesperson told CVG that talks are underway with regards to how to fix the problem although there's no guarantee that it will be resolved. Expect an official statement from Datel soon.

Nintendo, meanwhile, refused to comment at all on the matter.

If its an accidental hiccup, we'd speculate that the error will be fixed in a future Wii update and your disc will be back in action. If Nintendo, however, intentionally crashed the party, the only other option would be for Datel to release a new disc - and that's if its tech team can find a way around the problem.

This puts and unfortunate downer on what is otherwise a pretty good update, which gives the Wii Shop some much-needed improvements including a search engine for the Virtual Console and new publisher categories.

It also adds a clock to the front-end menu, and allows both the news and weather channels to display information within the thumbnails so you don't actually have to fire them up to see the latest reports.

USB keyboard support has also been quietly added although, strangely, it works with everything except the Internet channel at the moment. That's sure to change.

i like the way the blue ring lights up when you put in a disc of eject it now!

Wiiman so that chip you installed for me, am I ok just to update? Then again I bet its already updated as Im on wii connect 24!??

BTW what chip did u stick in my wii, was it a wii free or wii key?

Thw WiiFree has a config disc?

What does it do mate?

Wiiman so that chip you installed for me, am I ok just to update? Then again I bet its already updated as Im on wii connect 24!??

BTW what chip did u stick in my wii, was it a wii free or wii key?

I have updated mine, and it works fine. Both mine and yours have wiifree 2.45 installed. Your wii will not update automatically even if you have connect24 on.

I have updated mine, and it works fine. Both mine and yours have wiifree 2.45 installed. Your wii will not update automatically even if you have connect24 on.

blimey wiiman, that was quick! thanks mate, I'll run the update later probably.

Back