Why is the 600 so pricey??

Donnie Darko

Inactive User
Reaction score
I initially thought they came with a HD.Its obviously slightly bigger to accomodate a HD with a £60 increase over the 500.
Anyone

Thats the retail business for you! It seems that because they now have given us the option of having a hd on the 600 compared to the 500 that a price increase is warrented!!! But it is naughty considering the price increase doesnt actually include the hd. The price will of course come down eventually and we all can help this happen fast by not BUYING the 600 forcing them to lower the price, thats how the retail business works and thinks, if people keep buying fake 500c's this will help to!!!!

Its just gone up again on dvb-shop now;

DREAMBOX 600C PVR £ 235.00

How much!

the price increase could be due the interface inside to accomodate hdd.

I cant read it, took a guess at china. Turkey not as far away 55 quid cheaper than dvb.

Last edited:
359 USD is around 263 Euro.
The price in germany is between 269 Euro and 299 Euro without harddisk.

The sooner Peng and his buddies get on the scene the better.

@Timoweb, mate do yourself favour and buy an atlas. :)

Last edited:
There are rumors about a security chip inside the 600 series.
It looks like its not so easy to clone a 600pvr box.

Works out better (at least for me) just setting up a network with my PC, for the price they want, I reckon it's better going for the NAS option and having the support that the 500c has.

The increase is around £100 now, which is ridiculous considering how little the change is (can't cost them all that much to add an IDE interface/enclosure!)

Last edited:
We were originally promised an IDE upgrade to the DM500, but they musta saw $$$$$ so it looks like the mighta fixed the security issue, added the IDE interface, increased the price and gave it a new name!

to be hohnest with you, i personally dont see any point in buying fakes..... what happens when dream dont sell enogh and they close up, who else will improve on the technology, peng wont be doing this????

and i have had trouble with fakes and am glad i bough a lovely original!

the 600 is about the smae size as a 500c a bit heavier thou :)

it had interchangable recivers
and the option for a hdd (that i have utilised)

when i orderd mine it was £180 and with next day delivery! :) so i am very pleased as the 500c was £140. at its cheapest i was paying £122.50 inc 3day delivery.

i think the 500c had inproved over the last few images, i hope they do the same with the 600 as well. its a much nicer unit.

maybe a little expensive for what they have dun, yes its only and ide connector, but how much has it cost for them to develope this techonology?

a lot of money!!!

cause why do cable companies install such big units if a dreambox can do more with a better picture???? beacuse its cheaper to use older and bigger technology.

i think the 500c had inproved over the last few images, i hope they do the same with the 600 as well. its a much nicer unit.

maybe a little expensive for what they have dun, yes its only and ide connector, but how much has it cost for them to develope this techonology?

a lot of money!!!

To be fair though, the technology was already available and they've profitted off their other boxes - over the 500c, they've added an IDE connector, they aren't that expensive and I suspect not a whole lot of development has gone into designing the new 600c (because why would they need to develop hardware, that's already been developed?)

Going on prices now, they've thrown £100 on for the IDE addition - they've done it to cash in on the success of the 500c and until the price starts dropping, I really can't see as much development with images being specifically designed for it (not to say there wont be any, but not on the scale of the 500c).

I don't blame them for trying to make more profit, they are a business afterall, but it's too much for me with little 'reward' to ever consider it (especially when the harddrive addition is possible over a network with the 500c) - personally, the next logical step for me over my 500c, would be a 7025.

Last edited:
true, but why go for an older series that is much bigger, just go for the 600? :S well it is choice after all :)

i put some pics up as well let me know if u want more:)~

More pics please mate, cracking wee machine.

Sorry if this has been asked before and answered but I wanted to know whether the tuner on these devices is any better than the 500c or is it too early to tell?

Thanks

BK

To be fair though, the technology was already available and they've profitted off their other boxes - over the 500c, they've added an IDE connector, they aren't that expensive and I suspect not a whole lot of development has gone into designing the new 600c (because why would they need to develop hardware, that's already been developed?)

Going on prices now, they've thrown £100 on for the IDE addition - they've done it to cash in on the success of the 500c and until the price starts dropping, I really can't see as much development with images being specifically designed for it (not to say there wont be any, but not on the scale of the 500c).

I don't blame them for trying to make more profit, they are a business afterall, but it's too much for me with little 'reward' to ever consider it (especially when the harddrive addition is possible over a network with the 500c) - personally, the next logical step for me over my 500c, would be a 7025.

The 600PVR box got a new mainboard with tuner slot for pluggable tuners, a IDE interface and 32 MByte Flash and 96 MByte Ram.
Thats not a simple DM500 board with additional IDE interface.

Back