Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

why dont sky send out cards??

FATBOY

Member ++
why dont sky send out new viewing cards anymore? been years since i got a new one? they used to send out a new card every year. been about 4 years since mine was changed?

sky only send out new card when the security of exisitin noes has been compromised. sky digital started in october 1998 and has only had one card change in 2000. so far their encryption is all thats needed to keep it secure so they dont have to change cards to protect their service

It's not cheap to change them either, I'd heard it costs sky around £10-£15 per card, then there's any changes to the encoders at the uplink - not to mention all the calls from Joe Public who can't figure out how to insert a new card or which slot to put it in :)

They won't change them unless it's necessary.

sky own the company that produces the cards and the encryption, it costs them next to nothing. they already have the next batch of super secure cards and encryption ready to be released in case the existing system is compromised

lol @ pinky

the cost to sly per card per subscriber is less than a quid as they own the technology behind it all, so yes, a card change would cost sly somewhere in the region of £15 million, but this also accounts for the FTV cards as well as sly sub cards, which if they didnt own the technology would run into the hundreds of millions.

NDS themselfs have admitted they have hacked the system thats in place now, thats why they have the next gen cards ready as they know its not a case of 'if sky gets hacked' but when. the new technology has already been paid for so when it is needed its not going to cost them any of this years (if it happens this year) profit

Hi Digi

I,m not that upto date with sly nowadays , but i know when we were on card 09
etc they had a company in the states that did them for em. ( nowt to do with
sky ) When 09 was hacked it took then months to kill the card as it had a
blocker in it, so the only way out for them was to go to the 10 card and that
was hacked pretty quickly. It was in the press at the time that it was costing em
4 million then to change cards. So with todays prices i don,t think you will be far
wrong with a 15 mill tag.

fezzy

Back