why cant i connect?

krazylegz

Inactive User
Reaction score
just a bit stuck here as i'm a complete noob at wireless.

i have just got a linksys wireless router with matching notebook adapter.

i set them up with 128bit encryption. my lappy sees my connection and when i click connect it says it's connected with excellent signal. IP also gets assigned by DHCP. but when i click on mozilla it just doesnt load any pages,says it cant find server.

am i doing something wrong?

Is your laptop not still tryin to use the ethernet connection.
Try disablin it ,the try again.

may be xp firewall blocking access, turn it off then try, if yes then once connected turn it back on

ethenet port is disabled. havent got any firewall or antivirus on as just reformatted HDD.

now it's not even assigning a IP now

Use a static IP,

for example.

If your router has an IP of 192.168.0.1
and your ISP dns address are 123.123.123.1 and 123.123.123.2

Set your lappy wireless NIC to

IP 192.168.0.2
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.0.1

DNS

Primary 123.123.123.1
sec 123.123.123.2

never use DHCP, causes to much trouble
MH

I was gettin this problem once. All i did was refresh my Internet cable modem. Im on ntl so I jus unplugged the modem and refreshed it and then the internet worked on my laptop.... Hope this helps

Ensure that the wep encryption key settings on the pc match that of the router. Some wireless devices still connect to the router even if the key on the pc is wrong

Also MairyHinge's idea of setting static Ip's is good. Means you can sule out an dhcp errors

Also in your router settings ensure that it is taking th Ip address from the router

how do i assign a static ip?

i connected my lappy back with the built Nin NIC and cable straight to that. then when it was connected i copied down the ip,sub net mask,dns etc.

i then put it into the router and wireless NIC.

the link said it was connected and it sent about 400 packets but never recieved any.

i must be doing something totally wrong or the router or card is goosed,but i'll not give up;)

Let us know how you get on im going through the same thing at the mo with my d-link wireless g kit.

Bloody frustrating.

well give up 4 2nite m8,got be up at 6.its really starting to p**S me off! i laugh when i read the box it says set up with little configuration. ha ha!

hopefully you get yours sussed and shed some light my way;)

krazylegz said:
how do i assign a static ip?

i connected my lappy back with the built Nin NIC and cable straight to that. then when it was connected i copied down the ip,sub net mask,dns etc.

i then put it into the router and wireless NIC.

the link said it was connected and it sent about 400 packets but never recieved any.

i must be doing something totally wrong or the router or card is goosed,but i'll not give up;)

Are the router and the wireless NIC the same brand. In some occassions due to differences in interpretation of The MAC and LLC layers in the protocol certain devices have incompatibilities

yeah they are both linksys. just weird how they connect and say the signal is excellent but it doesnt recieve packets. would changing the channel in the router set up make any difference?

mate have you cofirmed that your wireless card is getting an ip? Also just to rule it our turn off all the WEP WAP stuff and try it without.

no it's not getting an ip now m8. it did last nite but not now. whats the best way to get a static ip?

when i connect my modem to the router it is just a standard ethernet cable i use isn't it and not a cross over cable?

yes mate, use a normal straight through network cable. Do a search on google for configure static ip - youll find loads that will tell you how to do it better than I could! If you were getting ips last night but not now reboot the router and try again.

Yip, std patch cable straight through.

To get to the static ip options,

Control Panel > Network Connections > Select the connected Network
Select Properties > in the my connection uses > select tcp/ip > the properties.

Then select the use the following ip addys, and type in yer info.

Your IP in the 1st box
subnet mask in the sec 255.255.225.0
the router ip in the 3rd

then the bottom 2 DNS put in yer isp pri and sec dns addys.

you may get them from the router connection info.

eventually feels like i'm getting somewhere now. got it connected and am writing this throuh wireless now:proud: what i did was went into device manager and unistalled notebook card,then installed and set up again,but i think my mistake was before it was set to infrastructure instead of ad-hoc. so now its on adhoc but with no wep on,so time to try that:)

It shouldnt be set to ad-hoc unless you are connecting to another wireless pc not a router.

Back