Which media server do i need ?

Exclusive

DW Regular
Reaction score
1st Part
I am looking for something to connect to my tv and with the 5.1 system but wish to add files to the media server through my network, the router is in a different room.

i need it to play all file formats and DTS sound extra,

Thats for the main tv room

now
Second Part

Somehow i wish to watch everything of media server or something and have something connected to all the TVs in the house so we can all choose stuff from the media server on these tvs ?

Is this possible

Are you looking to store the files on this server or do you have a central storage area ?

WD Live HD should be able to do what you want.

Something much more flexible would be a SFF PC that can be had off ebay for under 100 quid Small and quite. Add a 30 HD video card and a 2TB drive, put on windows 7 and that should do everything you are looking at.

For the other TV, small streamer without the need for local storage can be had for around 50 quid.

What you need and to do it on the cheap is...

Netgear stora I got mine for £55
Apple tv2 £90 and put xbmc on it :)

then just add apple tv2's to the tv's you need ;)

What you need and to do it on the cheap is...

Netgear stora I got mine for £55
Apple tv2 £90 and put xbmc on it :)

then just add apple tv2's to the tv's you need ;)

AFAIK, apple TV does not do HD ?

erm I think you might have miss read m8....

It does HD nicely granted at the moment is 720p but 1080 will play it just gets downscaled at the moment...

so it can't output 1080 at the moment where as a SFF (£70) + £30 gfx card + XBMC can and do a whole lot more besides.

looking for central storage, like the idea of the netgear stora but then i would really want 1080 output,

with the SFF PC how would i do that, and how do i view everything on all tvs ?

can i use netgear stora with wdtv ?

netgear stora is storage only, not playback.

sff can be used for storage (you can install a 2tb drive) and output to main TV @ 1080p via its graphics card. For each of the other TVs you will need a network enabled playback streamer, something like wd live, there are several others available inc apple tv and sumvision.

here is an example PC,
[ame]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FAST-STYLISH-DUAL-CORE-DELL-OPTIPLEX-GX745-SFF-PC-/110650753846?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item19c34c8336[/ame]

example gfx card which is fanless and supports HD hardware acceleration and DTS through its HDMI port.
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...R2+PCI-Express+Graphics+Card+?productId=41100

Budget £20 for an extra 1GB of RAM. Plus whatever sized hard drive you think is suitable.

You can then install win7 + XBMC and use that for storage and playback of media.

apple tv can also be used for storage and playback, but playback is limited to 720p.

You can also attach a USB drive to WD live and use that as storage if you want instead of SFF but if you use the SFF then of course you can do whole lot more like torrents, usenet downloading. attaching ipod, digital cameras, etc basically anything you can do with your PC.

Last edited:
Are you looking to store the files on this server or do you have a central storage area ?

WD Live HD should be able to do what you want.

Something much more flexible would be a SFF PC that can be had off ebay for under 100 quid Small and quite. Add a 30 HD video card and a 2TB drive, put on windows 7 and that should do everything you are looking at.

For the other TV, small streamer without the need for local storage can be had for around 50 quid.

i like this idea mate, nice one! what does "SFF" stand for?

Small Form Factor

Basically, a desktop base unit, laid down and compact. My Media Centre is a HP dc5750 SFF for example

i like this idea mate, nice one! what does "SFF" stand for?

Small Form Factor. Just means its the small desktop format instead of tower configuration. They have space for one hard drive and one laptop style optical drive so try and get one with a DVD drive included. There is no fan on CPU either and one 80mm heat triggered fan at the front so they are normally very quiet.

Small Form Factor. Just means its the small desktop format instead of tower configuration. They have space for one hard drive and one laptop style optical drive so try and get one with a DVD drive included. There is no fan on CPU either and one 80mm heat triggered fan at the front so they are normally very quiet.

those are even better than what i've got, mines basically a normal PC, 2 drive bays (just, with the multi card reader removed), ful size dvd drive and a normal heatsink/fan - still uses half-size PCI/gfx cards

those are even better than what i've got, mines basically a normal PC, 2 drive bays (just, with the multi card reader removed), ful size dvd drive and a normal heatsink/fan - still uses half-size PCI/gfx cards

We use Dell GX range at work and that is the spec for them. Got a 520, 745 and a 755 on my desk less then 1meter from ear and can barely hear them.

Forgot to add, two are with the celeron chip and the third is a Core2 duo and fan does not need to spin fast on any of them.

nice one chaps! very interesting and exactly what i was looking for!

Back