whey protein preventing belly fat loss

pops1a

Inactive User
Reaction score
I've been taking protein for about 7-8 months now and I was wondering if it;s preventing me from losing fat from my belly. Anyone know if this might be the case or am I just getting paranoid.

You just s*it excess protein out mostly. Are you taking protein or weight gain? How many cals does it say it has on the label per scoop? What else are you doing to lose weight cardio wise? how does the rest of your diet compair? Doubt protein is the problem, but carbs and lack of cario might be.

thanks for the replies. It says 100 calories per scoop. I've been doing cardio every day for nearly 2 months and some light weights in body pump and circuit classes, other than that I've not done weights proper for about 3 months due to me being a carer for my wife, who had a stroke. I've noticed a loss of mass all over my body because of lack of weights. I have a shake after training (1 scoop whey protein from H&B, banana, 2tbs linseed with milk). I'm probably having too many carbs like potatoes, bread and rice.

Try having your carbohydrate meals earlier in the day. Don't eat anything white either, no white bread or pasta, whole (brown) everything. Sweet potatoes are lower GI than normal ones and I think they are a lot nicer, good with cottage cheese.

Bread and milk are the usual culprits of gaining weight too fast although your liver can convert excess protein into glucose, I think, and if it's not used it will be stored as fat.

Whey protein digests quite quickly and might not make you feel full for long. A morning shake with casein protein and oats in will release energy slower. Whey is better for before or after workout.

I read that fish oil is better than Flaxseed oil (Linseed) but I don't think it's something I'd drink. Walnuts have a good ratio of the Omega oils.

Watch Holland & Barrett stuff, some of it is full of sugar, that's OK post workout though.

The holland and b¤@@et stuff is just catering whey its not that great for muscle building properties. As for cardio to shift flabby guts doing interval training will smash the flab all day long. Doing 1minute jogging followed by 1 minute sprinting doing this for 20 minutes will blast more calories and eat away the fat quicker than 1 hours medium paced jogging. Its great if your stuck for time. Doing this and the girlfriends fitness dvds combined with good diet has helped me drop 5stone since last christmas

The holland and b¤@@et stuff is just catering whey its not that great for muscle building properties. As for cardio to shift flabby guts doing interval training will smash the flab all day long. Doing 1minute jogging followed by 1 minute sprinting doing this for 20 minutes will blast more calories and eat away the fat quicker than 1 hours medium paced jogging. Its great if your stuck for time. Doing this and the girlfriends fitness dvds combined with good diet has helped me drop 5stone since last christmas

Well done mate; stick around becasue there will be loads of people on here wanting to pick your brains about it, tips and what not!!! You should write a new thread outlining your situation and starting weight, why you decided to lose weight etc etc and explain your daily and weekly regime detailing what you did to get there.

Doing 1minute jogging followed by 1 minute sprinting doing this for 20 minutes will blast more calories and eat away the fat quicker than 1 hours medium paced jogging. Its great if your stuck for time. Doing this and the girlfriends fitness dvds combined with good diet has helped me drop 5stone since last christmas

AMEN! More power to you mate - Interval training all the way!

Coincidentally tonight I'm gonna be out in the park attempting Andy Murray's interval sprint workout that I read in a recent interview with his trainer...

"20 x 100 metre sprints. Put simply, you have one minute to sprint 100 metres, but your recovery has to fall inside that 60 seconds too. So, the longer you take on the sprint, the less time you have between sprints.

Andy's way of dealing with it is to focus solely on how long he'll actually be running for - not the time he'll spend recovering.

He manages, somehow, to run all 20 of his sprints at or around 15 seconds, with the odd 13 second effort in there too
".

...so if I'm not around for a while, you know what happened to me!!! lol!

(when I get a bit of time, I'll scan the magazine article and post it up - there were some really good training points in it and if you didn't respect Andy Murray's fitness & conditioning before, you sure will after reading it)

AMEN! More power to you mate - Interval training all the way!

Coincidentally tonight I'm gonna be out in the park attempting Andy Murray's interval sprint workout that I read in a recent interview with his trainer...

"20 x 100 metre sprints. Put simply, you have one minute to sprint 100 metres, but your recovery has to fall inside that 60 seconds too. So, the longer you take on the sprint, the less time you have between sprints.

Andy's way of dealing with it is to focus solely on how long he'll actually be running for - not the time he'll spend recovering.

He manages, somehow, to run all 20 of his sprints at or around 15 seconds, with the odd 13 second effort in there too
".

...so if I'm not around for a while, you know what happened to me!!! lol!

(when I get a bit of time, I'll scan the magazine article and post it up - there were some really good training points in it and if you didn't respect Andy Murray's fitness & conditioning before, you sure will after reading it)

Blimey!!!!

Got to say that you can see that Andy Murray's conditioning is second to none.
On the courts he chases down shots that the average player would have left and actually reaches and hits a pretty good shot back.

On that note, got to say that some of the strength and conditioning of the UFC fighters is absolutely crazy too. They go through some rigorous training.

Blimey!!!!

Got to say that you can see that Andy Murray's conditioning is second to none.
On the courts he chases down shots that the average player would have left and actually reaches and hits a pretty good shot back.

On that note, got to say that some of the strength and conditioning of the UFC fighters is absolutely crazy too. They go through some rigorous training.

We did the "Murray 20 x 100m" intervals on Saturday morning in the sun - WICKED! It's gonna become a regular. Was really proud of my 2 friends who did it with me coz nobody ran any of their 100m in less than 19 seconds (I've got one of those GymBoss belt training timers so I'm able to keep us all on the clock).

Ditto Erazor mate, I'm a big fan of functional sports specific training like those guys do. In fact a lot of the time the only reason I watch the UFC programmes is to check out their conditioning routines and see if there's any new ideas I can pinch for when I'm training.

Like Rich Franklin's full-body weights 'circuit' where he trained every body part inside about 45minutes - just a real evil continuous circuit with NO rest. And George St.Pierre had some quite innovative stuff in his training too.

thanks,which protein do you think might be more effective? I've heard about interval training and been meaning to try it but I haven't got round to it yet, but also wasn't sure what speeds to sprint and rest at. I can usually only manage 10 minutes at 6.5 miles per hour, distance 1 mile.

whey protien can cause a lot of water retention(sp) i stick to egg and milk . works a dream add a little mod creatine ( non bloating) you will be flying . when im bulking i never ever do cardio..if your looking to lose weight there is no need to be taking any shakes at all . chicken steak and tuna will give you all you need . clean diet . good cardio . try super setting while doing weights . the fat will fall off

whey protien can cause a lot of water retention(sp) i stick to egg and milk . works a dream add a little mod creatine ( non bloating) you will be flying . when im bulking i never ever do cardio..if your looking to lose weight there is no need to be taking any shakes at all . chicken steak and tuna will give you all you need . clean diet . good cardio . try super setting while doing weights . the fat will fall off

Thanks, so what's the actual purpose of taking whey protein? is it just another supplement that is just a waste of money. I thought it enabled a quicker recovery rate after training, healed damaged muscles and helped the growth of muscles as well as reduced food cravings, or have I got it all wrong. I don't fancy the idea of taking creatine. By the way, what's super setting, I just read an article about it but it didn't mention how to go about it.

Thanks, so what's the actual purpose of taking whey protein? is it just another supplement that is just a waste of money. I thought it enabled a quicker recovery rate after training, healed damaged muscles and helped the growth of muscles as well as reduced food cravings, or have I got it all wrong. I don't fancy the idea of taking creatine. By the way, what's super setting, I just read an article about it but it didn't mention how to go about it.

you ever see the lads at the gym that looked bloated well whey protien can do . its really for bulking .and protien helps build mucscle and repair it too . but like i said fish egg whites red meet chicken are all high in protien . baked beans thats my fav. as for reducing food intake whats the point of that if your looking to get bigger . super setting is not rest inbetween two or more different exercises .

last week i hit the runnin machine and for 20 mins i start off say runnin speed on level 5..machine goes up to 14 i think but first 5 mins i warmed up then i put machne up to level 9 and incline up to 1. took feet off the belt to the side and rested then while machine was still going and jumped on last 30secs and started runnin.this making it 1 min and next min doin the same but put up the incline each min by 1 or sometimes just 0.5..i was fooked like.

Last edited:
thanks I might try super setting. Beans sounds good, I need to reintroduce those into my diet and eggs again.
I'll stay off the protein for now and see how I get on without it, as I don't really want that bloated look.

...I've heard about interval training and been meaning to try it but I haven't got round to it yet, but also wasn't sure what speeds to sprint and rest at. I can usually only manage 10 minutes at 6.5 miles per hour, distance 1 mile.

When we're doing our sprint intervals, I always say to my lot to "run like Freddy Kruger was chasing you" during the WORK interval.

During the REST interval, I don't really care if they walk/jog/bounce on the balls of their feet/do nothing... whatever they like (as long as they don't sit down - I DON'T let them sit down - ever).

But then as soon as it's time for the WORK interval again, you WORK.

Hope that helps you structure your own interval routine pal.

When we're doing our sprint intervals, I always say to my lot to "run like Freddy Kruger was chasing you" during the WORK interval.

During the REST interval, I don't really care if they walk/jog/bounce on the balls of their feet/do nothing... whatever they like (as long as they don't sit down - I DON'T let them sit down - ever).

But then as soon as it's time for the WORK interval again, you WORK.

Hope that helps you structure your own interval routine pal.

thanks, how long does the sprint last and what is the rest period. Are you doing this on the treadmill or track or something?

I have a decent tummy I just raise my feet 6 inches every time I toss off keeps me in shape. :proud:

Back