Where can I download Bootloader, and latest 4D image?

F1Mad

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all,

It's been a while since I've been on here - I got used to living with my Twin running an old 4D image, and didn't get round to installing a later image as I would have needed to do the bootloader too...

Anyway, I finally sold the Twin to a friend and got myself a VU+ Ultimo. Trouble is, my friend seems to be having problems booting up the Twin again, so I'm thinking to go over and install the latest bootloader and either the latest 4D image, or even a ViX.

But, I can't seem to find links or instructions for the latest bootloader - nor the latest images (is the downloads.for-better.biz site still alive??).

Your help and advice will be greatly appreciated, as I just want to have some peace! :S

Rat uploaded one.

You can also delete the s after download in that link you posted.

Rat uploaded one.

You can also delete the s after download in that link you posted.

Abu, thanks for clarifying that link. I got that from another post in this forum and couldn't find other links to it! :)

So which one did Rat upload (I'm assuming you mean Rat uploaded to that .biz server?)?

Also, I'm confused about which bootloader to use (it seems it's even more complicated than the choices before!). For example, I found this link on that server:
Download center

What does that mean? Are the dates related to when the Twin was bought, or what?

Abu, a while back I thought you posted with a link to the latest bootloader and instructions on what to do, but I can't seem to find that now. I want to be sure I get the right bootloader, because the last thing I want to do is brick this box that I've now sold to a mate.

Downloads > Satellite Downloads > Technomate Satellite Downloads > Technomate TM-Twin-OE

I really wish TM stop packaging the bootloader in the image downloads. On this one there are two copies of it. In November 2012, they released a universal bootloader for all images. No need for it if you have it already. If you already have the November, one delete the "cfe.bin" file from the following folders

\update\tmtwinoe\cfe\
\update\tmtwin\cfe

The way I do it is a follows

USB drive must be in fat32 format.
Delete any existing "update" folders from USB drive.
Place "update" folder on usb drive.
Connect USB drive to receiver. Best to remove any other USB drives.
Reboot
When prompted press OK on receiver. This will satrt flashing process.
When it finishes, switch off and then remove USB drive

Following must be done straight after each other. I use one hand for the switch and the other for the EXIT button.

Switch on receiver
Keep pressing the EXIT button on the receiver for about 20 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Abu. I'll give it a go as is, then, with the bootloader. The instructions on that page say to upload the image twice, too. :S

Anyway, fingers crossed this goes smoothly!...

Phew! All went well... eventually! And the new image looks good (so far).

At one point I thought I'd bricked it, because after the update, the box seemed to be stuck with "Booting..." showing up the VFD. I eventually thought I should restart from the switch at the back, and do the update again (seeing as this was mentioned somewhere else in the notes when loading the new bootloader), but the update seemed to be taking an age. But eventually, it completed, I rebooted with the Exit button held down, and all seems to be OK.

Thanks again, Abu. Hopefully my mate won't be calling me for more support! :)

"Keep pressing" is not the same as "press and hold down" . Perhaps I should have made that clearer. The repeatedly pressing the EXIT button apparently partitions the memory. If memory is not partitioned properly, you may get random issues.

I recommend you switch off, restart the receiver and repeatedly press the EXIT button.

Yeah, that's what I did the first time when it was stuck in "booting...". The 2nd time, after the update, I just had the EXIT button depressed for 20-odd seconds.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how they get on, as I'm not back down there for another couple of weeks (hopefully!). Because it's a motorised dish, it takes AGES to set it up (I see things saying "download channel list", but I can't seem to find a way to download these without scanning each satellite!).

So, if there *is* a problem, do you recommend doing an update again, but this time removing the bootloader from the package?

You should look at Rat's guide on how to use DBedit for the purposes of transferring channel lists to your receivers.

Cheers, Abu.

I've already been using DreamboxEdit (didn't cotton on to the abbreviation!), but mainly to get Rat's bouquets onto the box. I *thought* that it might be useful for getting satellite lists on there too, but Rat's bouquets were UK only, so I managed to work out that I could create a new blank "set", and import Rat's bouquets and then Vhannibal's Hotbird bouquets, but with the latter, the bouquets were empty (ie no services). So I then did the scans on the box, imported read this back into DreamboxEdit, imported Rat's and Vhannibal's bouquets, uploaded... done!

Thanks for the link to the channel lists. I'll try that next time as a means to initially create the channel lists. :thumbsup:

BTW, since I'm on a Mac, I've started using iDreamX (even though I can use DreamboxEdit via Parallels).

Back