When are you issued an I.P address via a wi-fi?

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
chaps, got a one I don't know the answer too, at what point are you issued an I.P address?

I have a feeling that it's after you've put the correct wi-fi password in...but just need to check....

I have 2 routers giving out 250 IP address ranges but there will be 16,000 people all seeing the "access points" if they all tried to connect at the same time, lets say even half of them, 8000 people all trying to get access, at what point are you issued an I.P address, on connection, or is one reserved....or are you simply not issued one until you enter the password/key etc.

So out of say 8k people 250 know one password and 250 other know the other password......will the 500 people be able to connect with out a problem? even though all the other people are at the login page.......

Cheers for your ears.

Dibbss.

Yes ip address is given out after passkey is confirmed as you are not connected to the network till then:)

Sent from my x10 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks mate....I'd just wondered that all with our et up.....thanks mate.

Your 500 peeps should get on fine. You should probably reduce your lease time to less than 24 hours.

Is this some kind of commercial setup? If you can justify the cost you might be better moving to Cisco Aironet and a separate DHCP server as they support WAP clustering.

Back