whats the cheapest way of doing it??

beezo

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi guys,

at the moment i have a vermin modded box,phone line and broadband and am paying 28 quid per month. As the boxes will be going off very shortly, i am looking for alternative ways to watch tv still for a cheap as possible

Im looking at the card sharing route but when i do the maths, to me it will cost the same amount per month if i was to get the sly or vermin full package from them. At the moment it costs between 60 to 70 quid to get either the vermin or sly full packages form them

now I know that i will need to buy a linux reciever and satellite so am looking around 200 quid for that setup but im wiling to writwe this initial sum off providing it will save me money in the long run

now, me amd my father in law are both in the same postion so want to get ###brand not needed### at the cost of 70 quid and share the card between us. so therefore it costs us 35 quid per month each which is more than we are paying now. we then both need a phone line and a broadband connection with watever company so that to me takes us to around the 60-70 quid mark!! so to me we may as well go direct to either sly or vermin and get the packages with them as it will cost us no more and will will not have the hassel of programming the boxes to share the cards.

am i right guys in saying this or am i talking shite?? whats the point in card sharing if it cost us the same or is there a way of doing it which saves us money long term

look fiorward to your replies guys, i really appreciate it

Last edited by a moderator:
share with more than 2 people and it will cost less...........

also most people nowadays already have phone and broadband with router.

also most people nowadays already have phone and broadband with router.

yes mate, i have a phone line and broadband connection already but to keep it, i will still have to pay the 28 quid to vermin as they way the package works is you get the phone line free when you get the basic tv package with them and then just pay for the broad band extra

is there a cheaper way to get a phone line and broadband for les than 28 quid and how many paeple can i share with before runing into any problems to get the costs down??

obviously, i assume that i would need a fairly fast internet connection and also a connection that is reliable as i dont want people phoning me up complaining when the internet goes down

Last edited:
you dont need fone line for that well known uk satelite provider, only need it if you have a multi room card.

dish fitted about £50
tm500 around £60/£70

edit newcs to accept a card
slap card in, plug into broadband, job done...........

Last edited:
And to add, I have read somewhere that you do not need a fast net connection as the files are small in size (kb's) that you need to share to others

yes mate, i have a phone line and broadband connection already but to keep it, i will still have to pay the 28 quid to vermin as they way the package works is you get the phone line free when you get the basic tv package with them and then just pay for the broad band extra

is there a cheaper way to get a phone line and broadband for les than 28 quid and how many paeple can i share with before runing into any problems to get the costs down??

obviously, i assume that i would need a fairly fast internet connection and also a connection that is reliable as i dont want people phoning me up complaining when the internet goes down

it's not hard to get internet and phone for under £20, more than 5 of you can get on a card.

Then get rid of vermin altoghter and find a cheap broadband provider,a basic BB of about 3mb will suffice.

Hi Beezo,

a little P'd off that i've been missing out on TV on my £28 a month (3 yrs) for BB and phone. But that aside mrs csb gets ultra low call rates all over europe. And I've never had any BB issues.

Remember you can always split the cost BB if your neighbour is close enough for wifi.

ok guys thanx for the replies

now for the next question

what linux box will enable me to watch one channel whilst recording whilst recording another like a slyplus box. also it would have to allow me to store a few of them so i could watch them at a later date, not too fussed on the HD feature

what linux box will enable me to watch one channel whilst recording whilst recording another like a slyplus box. also it would have to allow me to store a few of them so i could watch them at a later date, not too fussed on the HD feature

There is nothing that will compete with a providers own box (which is usually free) for the money. My freeview twin tuner thomson is 4yrs old, has timeshift, 2 week epg, series record, 80hrs record time & cost £80.

Vu+ Duo £400 for the money, i'ts the one I would want to buy.

hi m8 VU+ DUO TWIN receiver Records 6 HD Ch. on same time £390

YouTube - Vu+ Duo Records 6 HD Ch. on same time

The Duo is coming down in price, at the moment it's £375 AND it does a lot more than a providers box ( watch HD tv on your pc / Media player / You tube etc )

I wa safraid that this would happen with the demise of the cable box... What people need to remember is that CS is a hobby and was really only intended to be a hobby, not a way to get free telly, think about it guys... it is against eu law to to watch encrypted tv channels without a subscription to the provider.. its things like this that will f*ck things up for everyone..

I wa safraid that this would happen with the demise of the cable box... What people need to remember is that CS is a hobby and was really only intended to be a hobby, not a way to get free telly, think about it guys... it is against eu law to to watch encrypted tv channels without a subscription to the provider.. its things like this that will f*ck things up for everyone..

Lol how patronising, dont you do it with your mates to save cash cos i want to do it with my mate to...... save cash but i will claim it's a hobby and therefor ok to do what you do

Cs is big without the Uk, all europe didn't go N3.

actually no i dont do it for the money, i dont run a pay server, and whats more i'm paying 73 euro per month for the privilidge, the only benefit i get from it is free broadband in exchange for channels.. my m8 has 7meg dsl and i have a wireless link from his house to mine (about a km) I share with some europens in exchange for c lines, even though i dont have a motorised dish up yet, but thats what the hobby is all about...

actually no i dont do it for the money, i dont run a pay server, and whats more i'm paying 73 euro per month for the privilidge, the only benefit i get from it is free broadband in exchange for channels.. my m8 has 7meg dsl and i have a wireless link from his house to mine (about a km) I share with some europens in exchange for c lines, even though i dont have a motorised dish up yet, but thats what the hobby is all about...

So baiscally you do it to save cash the same as what the OP is wanting to do.

You just think there is a difference somehow because you are exchanging one good for another and in the sense no cash is involved.

Its the setting up thats the hobby side of it. Receiving channels illegally is just that and applies to everyone of us who do it.If u set up ur own server to split with m8s n spread the cost then u are just as guilty of scammin n gettin tv on the cheap than someone who just wants a modded box to plug n play.

Back