What PDA

mad

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys
First off let me thank all the peeps who contributed to the post that helped me get tomtom6 up and running on my xda mini II s :Cheers:

Secondly can someone point me in the right direction with this one. I want to sort my dad out with sat nav and i was thinking of getting him a PDA and putting tomtom on that If i do this what processor should i be looking for? and what price should i be paying for a PDA Will this option work out cheeper than getting him a tomtom unit

Cheers for any help provided

Hi guys
First off let me thank all the peeps who contributed to the post that helped me get tomtom6 up and running on my xda mini II s :Cheers:

Secondly can someone point me in the right direction with this one. I want to sort my dad out with sat nav and i was thinking of getting him a PDA and putting tomtom on that If i do this what processor should i be looking for? and what price should i be paying for a PDA Will this option work out cheeper than getting him a tomtom unit

Cheers for any help provided

look at the vario ii got wicked processor and can pick one up for £280 off ebay

look at the vario ii got wicked processor and can pick one up for £280 off ebay

£280 is abit more that i was thinking lol i am a bit of a skin flint

What sort of processor speed would be adequate to run tomtom? does tomtom have a "recomended min processor speed"?

i have the mio 168 and it works fine with tomtom

Specifications - Mitac Mio 168 DigiWalker

Display: 3.5 in. 16 bits Colour TFT, Resolution 240 x 320 pixels
Size and Weight: 6.9 x 11.2 x 2.4cm (WxDxH), 147g
Memory: 64 MB total memory, SD Expansion Slot.
Processor: Intel® PXA255, 300MHz
Software: Microsoft® Windows Mobile™ 2003 for Pocket PC
Pocket versions of Microsoft software are included (Outlook, Word, Excel and Internet Explorer for Pocket PC)
Power: AC Adapter & rechargeable battery, 12 Hours (claimed)

looking on ebay if you have a bit of luck you will get one for about £150 or less

and that all you need as it has buit in gps unit only thing you need to add is tomtom and i am sure you can download that for free from some where

Have a look on $bay for a user called fluffcat1 (not me I promise). Known him for years, nows what he's about, and his pocket pc's are exactly as described (if theres a mark, then he'll say so).
Think the only one he has for sale atm is the hx2755. An absolute belter, but probably 3 times more than Dad needs. Its got fingerprint recognition, etc plus a 620 mhz processor.
He gets a few hp and compaq for the £100 mark which have bluetooth and a 300 mhz which is far fast enough.
I know the 2755 is about a tenner more, but it is a lot bigger and much heavier.

Cheers guys for the info. All good stuff:Cheers:

i have the mio 168 and it works fine with tomtom

Specifications - Mitac Mio 168 DigiWalker

Display: 3.5 in. 16 bits Colour TFT, Resolution 240 x 320 pixels
Size and Weight: 6.9 x 11.2 x 2.4cm (WxDxH), 147g
Memory: 64 MB total memory, SD Expansion Slot.
Processor: Intel® PXA255, 300MHz
Software: Microsoft® Windows Mobile™ 2003 for Pocket PC
Pocket versions of Microsoft software are included (Outlook, Word, Excel and Internet Explorer for Pocket PC)
Power: AC Adapter & rechargeable battery, 12 Hours (claimed)

looking on ebay if you have a bit of luck you will get one for about £150 or less

and that all you need as it has buit in gps unit only thing you need to add is tomtom and i am sure you can download that for free from some where

Have to agree with phawk, I also have the Mio 168 and its a little belter for the price, if you can still get one. Running TT6 on it with no problems.

freddy

Mio P350's are now almost that price (under £180 inc vat & P&P on several sites) and it has a faster processor 400 MHz.

Alternatively there's Naxman PIN 570 retailing about £110 and you can either keep the SmartST 2005 software on it or install tomtom.

Personally as its your father, I'd say go for the PND. Unless you know he would he be happy with the "register map" problems often coming up on TomTom (or are you buying him a "proper" copy of tomtom too?)

pda

try for a hp ipaq min spec of 400 processor ie hp2210,should be able to pick 1 up cheap + you can use bluetooth gps or cable gps.
tomtom works great on hp2210.:proud:

Back