What HD receiver to buy?

Ricey79

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi All

I have a DM500s but would like to change to a HD box

Not sure of the difference between all the HD boxes, was looking into the DM800HD or the SE version

The DM500S seems a bit jumpy at times, would the faster processor of the DM800SE resolve this?

Also is there any HD receivers with media player functionality that you can plug a USB into it and watch AVI and MKV?

The 800HD and 800SE are both good recievers, but if your buying a new reciever the 800SE is worth the extra cash if yuor looking at clone recievers theres a 30 pounds difference in price between a 800HD and 800SE. The 800SE gives you a faster CPU, Media Player functionality, better cooling/software controllable silent fan, twin card readers, HDMI instead of DVI to HDMI..
Theres a few recievers that offer media player functionality including the 800SE, VU DUO etc..but support for codecs is limited..i.e: DTS downmix for audio doesnt work on 800SE so on HD rips with DTS audio tracks you get non sound, works fine with xvid, divx etc..
Yoyr better off buying a cheap Raspberry PI and installing XBMC on it for media player features. Also when you say your 500s is jumpy, what do you mean ? glitchy viewing on premium channels ? If so this may depend on how you are recieving your channels a oversubscribed source can cause such issues...

Many thanks for the quick reply
Think this is what I wanted to know
You are probably right on the money with the oversubscribed source

I found the 800SE in China at the right price, have you ever heard of customs stopping these clones? As they are counterfeit goods?

You'd have to be extremely unlucky for customs to seize your order..but it can happen. Best way to avoid this is to purchase the Sunray branded DM800SE..it;s basically exactly the same reciever but with sunray branding and packaging so it's not branded dreambox. Also most China suppliers will label the item description as media player or something inconspicous. You might if your unlucky get charged customs duty but it's normally not much..again China suppliers normally declare the value of goods below $25 to avoid this. Either way your saving a considerable amount of cash over what an original costs.. You can buy from a UK source (providing your UK based) but they purchase from the same China suppliers and add at least £50 the cost when they sell to you..

I own a DM 800se Sunray4 and I am very happy with it. Its very fast (loaded with HD skins etc) in channel changing even faster from a VU+ Duo with a basic image- skin.

hey , the dm800se is really a good box,
but now i prefere to use : gigablue 800 hd se ;)
it´s faster and never had to restart it yet !

but if you want to have a dreambox, the 800se will be a good one

Back