what graphics card

logic_187

Inactive User
Reaction score
Right ive been given a very expensive LCD monitor...eizo pro series. Its all fine using the VGA, but i want to use the DVi connection and calibrate my screen.

However my DELL G240 optiflex doesnt have a DVI connection, can anyone recommend a decent cheap graphics card? I've seen a few on ebay for around £20 but dont know which one to go for.

256MB NIVIDIA GEFORCE FX5500, DVI, TV AGP Graphics Card
Sapphire RADEO 9550 (256 MB) AGP Graphic Card
ABIT 256MB FX5600 DT V3.0 AGP VIDEO GRAPHICS CARD VGA

The connection on the MB is AGP ....if anyone has other suggestions please advise.

If your not going to be playing games on the PC the only spec you need to worry about is that the graphics card can output at least the maximum resolution of the monitor.

If you do intend on playing games you need to be looking at, at least a 6800 nvidia or x1900 pro ATI.

Either way you can get a new nVidia 6200 AGP for £24.64 + p&p from ebuyer: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/119720. Not at all suitable for games but it supports resolutions upto 2560 x 1600.

If you need any other PC bits its worth noting that Ebuyer do free 5-8 day postage on orders over £49.99

for just £20 the the above card will be around the same performance. but what to look out for is make sure that the 256meg of memory is onboard and not some form of 'turbo cache'.thats when the card has only 32-64meg onboard and uses some of your systems memory to make up the difference.this make the card alot slower as your system memory is slower DDR-DDR2 when the graphics memory is GDDR3 most likely.

i reckon the highest resolution i will be using it at will be 1280x1024.....i dont really play that many games on my PC anymore...but would be good if i had the choice....i might look into the 6800 nvidia

thanks

Back