Weird problem : virgin BBand but no CCCAM

TheCheekyMonkey

Inactive User
Reaction score
OK a mates got a TM500 , been fine for a few months, has a relevant image on it (i.e. nothing too old)

ok so heres the problem.

the box has an internet connection and a valid c line to a server, but will not clear channels.

so far ive done the obvious.

reboot modem, reboot router, reboot box.

nothing, only FTA channels clear.

I have reset router to defaults and updated firmware as a standard procedure.

and also flashed a new image on the box, checked c line, and server, no other problems, no one complains, but still this box will not clear channels.

i have checked IP``s gateway and DNS everything is as it should be and the box shows an external IP.

now heres the weird bit.

the house where the box is, the internet connection is fine and always has been, using any PC / laptop you can browse internet no problems.

this is the even weirder bit.

if i try to access the servers info page from any PC / laptop that is connected to this houses internet it times out, i.e. i cannot get to the server from this house`s network.

If i use my phone to access the info page using its mobile broadband connection and not there BBand i can see the server no problems.

And no its not the box, the box works fine in another location with a different internet connection.

so, anyone shed any light?

ive dropped the box into the DMZ on the router, this had no effect (i knew it wouldnt but tried anyway)

one thing thats just come to mind is to plug the sat box into modem and bypass router altogether, just incase the router is at fault (doubt it though)

i`m sure its just some unconnected error, or are virgin messing blocking protocols? (long shot i know)

Last edited:
So did you say that the STB has an external IP, so you can download stuff from the blue panel ok?

Also is the device pingable from another PC on the same network? Sounds like a network issue to me, maybe do an extended ping see if you get any packet drops, could be an IP conflict also.

Frenchman

yep, blue panel works and no definately no IP conflict as theres only two devices normally on the network, box is static (although have tried it on DHCP) and the laptop is handled by DHCP.

can ping , FTP and get through to webgui from within network no problems to box , the only things i cant do is get access to the server from within the network, neither through box, nor through a laptop (mine or theres) yet if i do it from my phone or tether my laptop to the phones internet it works fine (accessing the servers info page), i can even get through to the servers router (or router that the server is connected to) but not the server itself when using there internet.........

funny you should say this
was talking to someone last night that had a problem with a new virgin router he was saying no matter what he tried he couldnt get server to connect

Am on virgin if you want pm me server link will see if it connects for you

funny you should say this
was talking to someone last night that had a problem with a new virgin router he was saying no matter what he tried he couldnt get server to connect

its an old router white one, not a new one, cheers anyways.

Am on virgin if you want pm me server link will see if it connects for you

nothing wrong with the server, only one client having problems, its not his c-line as even with a test line it wont connect.

so running a ping from any system on network to the "server" times out ?

if you are pinging the dyndns address trying pining the i.p instead.

if i.p works then try changing the nameserver setting to "208.67.220.220"

so running a ping from any system on network to the "server" times out ?

if you are pinging the dyndns address trying pining the i.p instead.

if i.p works then try changing the nameserver setting to "208.67.220.220"

sorry forgot to add , i have changed the dyndns to the ip of the server and still no change.

i can ping the IP of the server (gateway / router) but its when i try to get to the port number.

i.e.

i can access the routers webpage externally from both ip address and dyndns.

so the router which the server is connected to has a dyndns account for example.

myrouter.dyndns.org

if i try to access that address or the IP address of the router i can access them no problems from within there network.

ok so the server has this address and port number for the info page (example)

myrouter.dyndns.org:16833
81.81.82.81:16833

if i try to access these from within there network, it times out.

if i try to access the same address from my phones mobile broadband it works instantly.

now obviously the cccam is on a different port than the web info but either way from there network the server cannot be accessed.

i have also changed the nameserver (dns) to googles free ones (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4) with no affect, but i will try it anyway tone

other people are on no problems so its not a server issue or router serverside problem, it seems that its being blocked from within but i have reset the router to defaults and its still the same.

i`m gonna bypass router tonight, if that works i`ll change router, if not i`ll post back or maybe assign a port from another server see if that works.

OK so just been back down today.

removed router and stuck box direct onto modem, works like a charm, (dhcp setting)

replaced router with a ddwrt flashed wrt54g , reset to defaults, exactly same problem, everything works except i cannot get to the server either through box or web browser.

have changed DNS setting both on box and router (prefferred dns set to either googles or open dns) nothing still the same.

any ideas anyone?

cheers

Hi dont know if youve had a look but just googled wrt54g problems pages from uk in the last month seems quite a few people having probs loads of different stuff that may help you sorry if youve already had a look just trying to help.

yeah trouble is, the router works flawlessly everywhere else, just not in this location.

also both routers are not wrt54g`s, 1 is an original netgear virgin one with original firmware and both donot like working in this location.

gonna go back down monday.

connect to router, enter setup, disable DHCP server on router, assign it an ip address outside the range that the modem issues, ie if the modem gives you an ip address of 192.168.1.100, assign the router 192.168.1.99 for example... now connect modem to LAN port on router not WAN and the thing should act like a network switch with wireless added instead of a router, thus the modem issues the DHCP leases not the router... try that and see how you get on.

But that wouldnt work would it not, as virgin issue an IP by DHCP and they change them regular so even if it did work it wouldnt for long and that would also mean all my devices would have to have an IP within that range. I think there are a great many reasons why that wouldnt work WAN to LAN needs to have a router act as a router in between.

Im just curious as to why some ports are blocked at this particular location no matter what router i use, i can get to an address (or ip) but not certain ports.

Back