Weird problem.... high ecm time but low ping but nothing wrong with my server/s

PAUL7331

Inactive User
Reaction score
Tearing my hair out here. Vermin BB is fine, 30mb DL and about 3mb upload. Ping 91ms, yet the server im connected too is glitch as hell and the channel changes are shocking. Nothing to do with the server though as my mate has identical connection and he's connected glitch free. Ive never had this issue ever! Also same is happening when I connect to a totally separate server!

Any ideas guys?

Im using vix team image, asus router.

Tearing my hair out here. Vermin BB is fine, 30mb DL and about 3mb upload. Ping 91ms, yet the server im connected too is glitch as hell and the channel changes are shocking. Nothing to do with the server though as my mate has identical connection and he's connected glitch free. Ive never had this issue ever! Also same is happening when I connect to a totally separate server!

Any ideas guys?

Im using vix team image, asus router.

Ping is too high Paul

Sent from my X10 using Tapatalk 2

Ping is too high Paul

Sent from my X10 using Tapatalk 2

Oh right! Any idea why it's become so high all of a sudden? Im ok to DL at top speed so god knows why it's like this all of a sudden? I thought any ping time of under 100ms was ok?

Looks like its under load .

How do you mean buddy?
Both servers I'm connected too are horrendous. But I can still DL at my usual speed, but channel changing etc is terrible. I know it's not the servers. This has never happened before so I'm quite confused!

How do you mean buddy?
Both servers I'm connected too are horrendous. But I can still DL at my usual speed, but channel changing etc is terrible. I know it's not the servers. This has never happened before so I'm quite confused!

Try running a ping test to see if you are losing packets Paul

Bad ping or jitter or even packet loss doesn't usually affect downloading bigger files but does affect the likes of voip or cs

How do you mean buddy?

Hi pings can be caused by heavy traffic thee number of connections to the server your trying to reach.

How do you mean buddy?

Ahh, ok gotcha. I take i simply google 'ping test' then and i'll post the results?
I know it's not down to the server as my mate is on an identical connection to me on same server and his is spot on. Also the same is happening with my connection to a different server on box upstairs, so it must be down to my home network/isp!

Virmin is the worst Broadband supplier for this IMHO, They Up speeds and then instead of upgrading the infastructure to handle the speed increase they cant afford it so its easier to cripple customers connections in the process, I have seen better Ping results on people with just 8mb ADSL connections

Kind of agree with you mate ping from Virgin to BT is slower than pinging BT to BT because a ping from Virgin to BT had a longer trace route to take.

Ping Virgin to Virgin and its quick. Ping BT to Virgin and I guess that takes a longer trace route so slower too.

Just strange as it's never happened in the past though and ive been on vermin for years. Could it be because a day or two previous I downloaded quite a few GB? They might be sort of capping me?

Just strange as it's never happened in the past though and ive been on vermin for years. Could it be because a day or two previous I downloaded quite a few GB? They might be sort of capping me?

Well if your slowing your connection down with uploads and downloads at the same time as watching that could cause you issues.

I know that mate but this was happening when I was downloading nothing!

Just do the frigging pingtest and check jitter and packet loss

Pingtest.net - The Global Broadband Quality Test

Oh and ignore digi247 when he says its not reliable :D

LOL:Laugh:

I base my evidence on fact and i do suppose it depends on how many people you have at the head end cabinet, but one guy i know had a ping of around 25ms during the day but as soon as 4pm came and within virmins 4-9 watershed for peak time his ping went up to 300ms after 11pm in the evening it went back to around 20ms a sure sign of VM's throttling regime if i ever did see one. The lowest i have seen in a built up area is around 105ms in peak time.

Personally i would never have VM back if it was the last BB supplier on the planet :)

The plot thickens guys. Did a ping test earlier and it was 19ms. Service is glitch free tonight and all is good. Vermin were definitely up to something last night!

The plot thickens guys. Did a ping test earlier and it was 19ms. Service is glitch free tonight and all is good. Vermin were definitely up to something last night!

Thought as much m8 :)

On its own, 'ping' is just 'technical masturbation' - for example, ping is just an end-to-end test i.e. can you get there and how fast. It does NOT follow that 'interesting traffic' will get there as quickly, via the same route or even at all.

You need to do other tests such as 'traceroute' and you need to examine your router configuration i.e. is QoS active? Is any filtering enabled? You need to check your local network configuration and your firewall.

Don't forget that 'ping' goes from you -> router -> ISP -> host -> ISP -> router -> you and that's a lot of places to look at!

On its own, 'ping' is just 'technical masturbation' - for example, ping is just an end-to-end test i.e. can you get there and how fast. It does NOT follow that 'interesting traffic' will get there as quickly, via the same route or even at all.

You need to do other tests such as 'traceroute' and you need to examine your router configuration i.e. is QoS active? Is any filtering enabled? You need to check your local network configuration and your firewall.

Don't forget that 'ping' goes from you -> router -> ISP -> host -> ISP -> router -> you and that's a lot of places to look at!

When it comes to cs start and end is really all that you're interested in, plus whether you lose any packets along the way :)

Back