Wastwater Cumbria

That is one beautiful image.
What did you use to take the shot and what post prod' software did you use?
Thank you, this was shot with my Nikon D800E with a Nikon 50mm, ISO100 6 sec. f/11 50 mm using a 10 stop ND filter, shot in RAW and post processing was through Photoshop Camera RAW and Nik Colour Efex Pro. Sharpened a little with High Pass layer, resized to 2048 x 1367 for the web/Facebook (for maximum quality)

Great Shot,i always wonder what the original looks like before the processing

Great Shot,i always wonder what the original looks like before the processing
DSC_4900 raw.jpg

This is the RAW image converted to Jpeg because the forum doesn't recognise a RAW (NEF) image, a RAW image is just that, it is flat and neutral with no image enhancement (unlike a jpeg image from a camera which undergoes in camera processing) it is a 29Mb 14bit image and the dynamic range of the scene can be developed to bring out the best of the recorded data

This is the RAW image converted to Jpeg because the forum doesn't recognise a RAW (NEF) image, a RAW image is just that, it is flat and neutral with no image enhancement (unlike a jpeg image from a camera which undergoes in camera processing) it is a 29Mb 14bit image and the dynamic range of the scene can be developed to bring out the best of the recorded data

What gives the filtered image the depth of field? Is that just the sharpening?

First off; what a brilliant photo, your choice of subject and your positioning are amazing. Most people will probably disagree with me but I prefer the converted j-peg pre-enhancement photo, because that is usually closer to what the eye sees. Don't get me wrong, the enhanced photo is amazing and makes you go "Wow" and of course looks better than the original, otherwise the processes would not be doing their business. Your photo has fairly basic enhancement and as I said has made a really good photo into a "Wow" photo, but too many photos these days are enhanced into something that looks nothing like the original subject and so cheats the viewer as to what they see.

First off; what a brilliant photo, your choice of subject and your positioning are amazing. Most people will probably disagree with me but I prefer the converted j-peg pre-enhancement photo, because that is usually closer to what the eye sees. Don't get me wrong, the enhanced photo is amazing and makes you go "Wow" and of course looks better than the original, otherwise the processes would not be doing their business. Your photo has fairly basic enhancement and as I said has made a really good photo into a "Wow" photo, but too many photos these days are enhanced into something that looks nothing like the original subject and so cheats the viewer as to what they see.
I can fully understand and respect your opinion, all cameras shoot raw first and the in camera software converts and enhances the image, the downside to this is jpeg artifacts and degrading is introduced and compression changes it further, for me it damages an image, the RAW image is not what the eye sees it is what the sensor sees, the weather was much clearer than the image implies, the sensor picks up ultra violet haze which you can see in the background, usually a polarising filer helps but I wasn't using one at this time.

What gives the filtered image the depth of field? Is that just the sharpening?
When using an ND filter the shot is set up first without it, the focus is then locked to avoid it changing so the depth of field remains, then the filter is fitted, making a note of the shutter speed I then use an app to calculate the shutter speed required the the 10 stop filter and set this manually, this can vary according to the available light

Back