Want to learn how to lay bricks?

bilabonic

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi All

pretty handy myself and can do anything eg plumbing, electrics, windows, footings, facias etc

The ONLY thing i ever pay for is a brickie, i know they make it 'look' simple but in real terms how easy is it to learn yourself.

I have all tools to do even my own mixer.

Anyone else picked this skill up themselves ? Or even done a small course ??

Cheers

I was involved in building a wall at the front of my parents house had a m8 that is a brickie helping me after 15 minutes or so he took over i was that slow at laying them but I'm sure with time i would of got it.

Think it is one of them things you can't trust to learn from a website. These are the best selling book on amazon but maybe a course is recommended... With it being practical, maybe there are dvd courses you can buy or download. I remember my dad did a small couse at a collage at night and often builds brick things for people like walls or BBQ's etc...

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/qid=1243339749/ref=sr_st?keywords=bricklaying&rs=266239&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Abricklaying%2Ci%3Astripbooks%2Cn%3A266239%2Cn%3A%211025612&sort=salesrank]Amazon.co.uk: bricklaying: Books[/ame]

laying bricks is easy, Laying bricks fast and keeping it tidy is the hard bit,

keep all your butts about 10mm and only do five layers at a time, When i learnt in a skills workshop, we just use sand mixed with lime, U can build a wall knock it down and do again and again, untill u get the hang off it,

Last edited:
Bricky Tool Uk not the perfect choice but may help till you get upto speed

Lol, I thought bilabonic said he had bought one, but reading back he means he pays for the real human version. I am so dyslexic.

Yes, I have seen this and my dad has got one and uses it... deffo worth getting one of these I think...

learning to set bricks isnt as easy as it looks.. im an ex hod carrier and done a bit of building work on my own house..

id say the hardest part about setting bricks is learning to spread the mortar in a nice even bed so you dont spend too much time banging the bricks down to get them level..

when you first start off you will tend to find more motar ends up on the floor than on the wall your building ...
which isnt good when you end up spending more time actualy mixing the stuff than building a wall.:Laugh:and walking the stuff all over the place cos your up to your ankles in it..

i would say the bricky tool can only be a good thing for the novice ...
ie hardly any waste. and a nice even/level bed every time..

mick

Lol, I thought bilabonic said he had bought one, but reading back he means he pays for the real human version. I am so dyslexic.

Yes, I have seen this and my dad has got one and uses it... deffo worth getting one of these I think...

You are not Dyslexic mate i have said on a different post at sometime that i do have a bricky tool....lol BUT never used it....My mate does all my bricking at moment but want to do it myself.

Might dig it out of attic and give it a go, my brickie mate was nagging me the other day.

I am getting one of those bricky things: dipsy : but the wife hate it!!: banana:

are they all they're cracked up to be?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

i have one and might dig it out, got myself a Stabila 48" and 12" level.

Just would rather learn how todo it properly really.

Just need to make a gauge stick, will get some pics up when i start footings.

i am a bricklayer, practice makes perfect, first you need to learn how to spread the mortar and level and plumb your bricks then once you have mastered that with time comes speed, not some thing you can learn over night,you could try using that bricky tool but if you want to learn it as a trade i suggest you enrole on a college course, then practice in your garden, like the other person said with lime and sand then you can build a wall knock it down and start again until you get the hang of it, then maybe go into work with your bricky friend on a weekend to help out and get more practice in, after he has built up the corners on the blockwork, him letting you put the string line on and run it in, then he gets free labour and you get to work on your speed

I went to a local college to learn the black arts of brick laying ;)

£75 about 3 years ago .. 3 hours a night, one night a week for 12 weeks. Taught by an ex bricklayer converted to teaching.

Fantastic course .. it has saved me loads of money :)

The main it helps to teach is what you can and more importantly can't achieve !

A good hands on course like that can't really be beaten .. contact your local college I bet they run something similar !

Iain

ps I am an IT Engineer by trade .. as is my mate who done it at the same time .. great laugh really enjoyable purely for change of pace as it were ;)

Something like that sounds perfect, i know i am capable of doing it now but i know i would be slow and messy.

Will have to ring around.

Back