Want to build a Media Server

Bally12345

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I want to build a media server so I dont have to have my pc on 24/7 does anyone have any suugestions or advice?

Has to be quiet and cool enough to sit out the way possisbly in the cupboard. Also what would be the best OS to use? All I really want it to do is host all my videos, music etc...

Or just use a modded Xbox with a larger hdd running XBMC....Does me fine...

Why would you pay £600+ when all your using it for is to access files? I already have modded xbox and I access all my files over network share.

Maybe media server was the correct term to use...

I built one recently based around the Antec Fusion Media Centre case (available from ebuyer amongst others) - it's not a cheap case (£100 ish) but is an excellent base for such a media system. It took quite a bit of research to get all the compatible components together - if it would help I'll list them out (remembering this was around 6 months ago so maybe some of the components are no longer available)

I have the system in my living room and the system is quiet (quieter than my old freeview harddisk recorder for example).

I personally use ubuntu and mythtv on it (mainly because I perfer Linux and find it easier to set up shares etc) - though I tried Windoze Vista to begin with and thought that was ok. Setting up ubuntu/mythtv wasn't a breeze, though there are some excellent sites out there which help.

Last edited:
Ive got an old HP e-Vectra which I was given.
23890245694775665515408692573608133541.jpg

Its a PIII 700 with 256 MB ram , 60 GB harddisk running XP Pro

It sits under my desk running 24/7 , acting as a print server sharing mp3`s and DIVX all round my house.

If all youre doing is hosting files then nothing really powerfull is needed

Any XP Pro capable PC will sort you out.

M$ OSes to look at (in order of release) 2000, XP Pro, Server 2003. 'Coming soon' are Home Server and Server 2008.

Avoid '98 like the plague if its being connected to the internet.

Like Baggy suggested you can use it for much more than media storage/streaming... Print server, internet gateway with hardware firewall (restrict the times kids can access the net and prioritise traffic to your PC ;)), home security hub etc

Will probz just do that... Aint going to build a htpc quite yet just want something quiet that can store everything and everyone in the house can access.

Yeh sorry about that, should of made it more clearer, what I should of said is a server for media share...

If its just basic file hosting you want buy a little NAS caddy, stuff a huge hard drive into it and connect it to your network via standard CAT5 to your router.

MPLEX (www.mplex.com) have such a caddy for £35 which includes web administration server, FTP server and SAMBA server (for sharing files with MAC and LINUX based systems).

Already got a nas drive but they arent really that effective considering you can only usually get no more than 4mb/s throughput.

Might just build a small pc using a cheap amd bundle.

Not sure where you live. But check out if there is a computer recycling place near you.
You can pick up an old basic system for pennies.

can I reccoment LinuxMCE? I know I have tended to go on about Linux here lately, but LinuxMCE is a very good media server OS.

In fact, many professionals now use LinuxMCE for installs etc. You can find out more about it here: http://linuxmce.com/

I have actually used this before and found it to be very, very good. The only reason I dont make more use of it is due to the fact I live in an open plan flat - so most of the media following stuff is pointless as I can just turn up the sound :) I have used it to get the football to follow me to the garage downstairs though and have used the remote options on a lot.

Best thing about it is that its free and it does loads more than Windows XP MCE and Vista. It doesnt even require a particularly powerful machine to run and lets you recycle old, slow machines for use with it.

Back