VW Polo Dying

Kris

DW Member ++
Reaction score
I have an old M reg VW Polo that looks like it's ready for the scrap yard unless anyone has any ideas.

It's a 1.3 petrol and it has lost all power. It turns over first time every time but pulling away it will either stall or it has no power. When I drove it, I had my foot flat to the floor in 1st gear and it struggled. Trying to reverse it to turn it around after that at the end of the yard and it stalled several times. It doesn't feel like the usual misfire but it seems as if not all cylinders are firing.

Exhaust fumes don't smell quite right to me but apart from that, everything else seems fine.

Any ideas?

coulod be worth checking the spark plugs see if they need changing...and check the oil level also and see if it is busning oil if yes then major problem try some stp stop oil burning...these are just some suggestions that could be wrong...

also check the rubber mount that holds the carb on , they split in half , just move the air filter and look at the bottom of the carb at the same time

number 13 on the picture

I don't think it's burning oil. It's not my car so I'm not the one who's been driving it around but I'm pretty confident it hasn't.

Plugs and HT leads are worth a go.

Strange thing about it was after I got it turned around after the umpteenth stall, it drove fine as I went to park it up again. I let it run for a while then and all the power seemed to be there reving it up a little but I didn't bother with it after that because it was obviously in no fit state to drive on the road.

I know the car has always been a little iffy though. When it was bought in April, it wouldn't go above 60mph for the first run on the dual carriageway but then all seemed fine. I was told it happened again a few weeks ago struggling to go past 60mph but then seemed fine up until now.

It's just a bit of an old banger and I don't think it's worth spending much on if it it's going to be anything serious.

hey,
After tryin HT leads,dizzy cap etc....
It may well be worth changing the fuel filter. I've had this problem on Mk3 1.4 Golf's before. The filter becomes partly blocked and as soon as you demand some power the pump is unable to supply enough fuel.

Thanks for the suggestions guys but think I might stick with the spark plugs and HT leads.

Car isn't worth that much and don't want to spend a lot to find I get no where. If plugs and leads don't work, it can go for scrap or spares.

If its fine when warm i would guess that its something to do with the choke,is it an automatic choke or do you have to pull a handle out when you start it.If its auto get it converted to manual and it will possibly be ok :)

Back