VU Duo £289 V TM Twin £279 Whats your thoughts?

Rumpelstiltskin.

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
What are the pros and cons of owning either receiver?
As there is only £10 between these models, whats the feedback on those who own either or both.
Obviously those who own or owned both can give best feedback.

Lets not have any sniping though, just honest feedback pros and cons etc.
Will be good for any member looking to buy a twin tuner model and these are same price bracket basically.

If you have owned neither please do not leave feedback as unfair to both manufacturers.

VU = good quality box with loads of support, feature rich probably the best dual tuner box (value for money) there is on the market right now.
TM = new box, not that much support yet (there's still time)

Both have a nice build quality and good pic etc, but for me the DUO wins based on its massive level of support and the fact that when setup right even the gf can use it with ease (ViX image ftw)

It my honest opinion go for the duo.

The support for tm twin is poor atm. I have a duo and have had a twin and I had quite a lot of issues with the twin and was 'told' that they would be fixed in a couple of day but yet i hear nothing and it looks like a failure like so many other tm linux machines.

Duo you will be happy, it will work, there is support for it and does not crash when you look at it!

Regards

Fruitball

I have owned the Duo and it is a great box. Runs fantastically, very stable. Only let down for me is the looks of it.

I have not owned either the TM800 nor the TM Twin so cannot comment on the Technomates but with all the support the Vu+ receivers has I dont see the point in taking a punt at the Twin for the sake of a tenner.

i have both, and i use the twin more, but, this is because i DONT watch telly, i spend more time messing around with the workings of receivers

i dont need to mess with the duo, as everything works (except for my DVB-T sticks but i wont let them beat me)

for normal people though, who actually watch telly, and want the plugins and extras etc, while the twin is making progress, now that the prices are near enough the same, the duo comes out on top

If you want a box that does what its meant to do and not bothered about playing around with it then and family friendly then its the duo if you want a hobby box with loads of bugs that need fixing and not bothered if how long it takes to fix then its the TWIN

I don't have a duo but do have a twin.
From what I read on the vix site their latest image is unstable. I understand that at this time there are plenty of stable images for the duo.
The twin enigma2 can be flakey but after using it in non enigma2 mode last week for 3 days that is very stable, I won't call it non linux as it is linux but not enigma2.

I don't have a duo but do have a twin.
From what I read on the vix site their latest image is unstable. I understand that at this time there are plenty of stable images for the duo.
The twin enigma2 can be flakey but after using it in non enigma2 mode last week for 3 days that is very stable, I won't call it non linux as it is linux but not enigma2.

The image it self has always been stable for me ( latest public image 2.3-204 ). The vast majority of stability issues come down to 3 major areas.

1. The user has not set the receiver up properly in the first place, either through inexperience or just plain stupidity.
2. The user has installed incompatible Third party plugins which have them selves introduced instabilities into the image.
3. Some ( and i mean some not all ) Duo's are suffering from a memory leak with the 3.1.1 kernel ( image is not important here as affected boxes suffer the same results on all 3.1.1 based kernel images ). now Vu them selves are fully aware of this and have had direct access to one of the affected boxes belonging to a ViX team member but at the moment can not pin the source of the problem down.

As i pointed out however my own Vu+ Duo ( Hardware revision v1.3 ) Has always been rock solid and very rarely crashes and this is true of the ViX 2.3 image, which is to be replaced very soon with the New Image.

The image it self has always been stable for me ( latest public image 2.3-204 ). The vast majority of stability issues come down to 3 major areas.

1. The user has not set the receiver up properly in the first place, either through inexperience or just plain stupidity.
2. The user has installed incompatible Third party plugins which have them selves introduced instabilities into the image.
3. Some ( and i mean some not all ) Duo's are suffering from a memory leak with the 3.1.1 kernel ( image is not important here as affected boxes suffer the same results on all 3.1.1 based kernel images ). now Vu them selves are fully aware of this and have had direct access to one of the affected boxes belonging to a ViX team member but at the moment can not pin the source of the problem down.

As i pointed out however my own Vu+ Duo ( Hardware revision v1.3 ) Has always been rock solid and very rarely crashes and this is true of the ViX 2.3 image, which is to be replaced very soon with the New Image.

I agree my DUO is rock solid did have a few issues with ViX 2.3 but mounted flash file and never crashed since. Might be down to mem leak I dont know. Either way cant wait for 2.4 if thats what it will be called.

I agree my DUO is rock solid did have a few issues with ViX 2.3 but mounted flash file and never crashed since. Might be down to mem leak I dont know. Either way cant wait for 2.4 if thats what it will be called.

well we were all geared up for a release over a weak ago but a last minute change lead to a bug which threw the release off, now were in the final stages of getting a minor bug sorted so hopefully ( and i say this with crossed fingers ) it should be ready soon no ETA's for obvious reasons.

Phoenix - can you confirm pal if the vix team are indeed working on an imgae for the TWin . i dont want to know dates times etc , just whether what im being told is the truth or not ?

regards
squig007

It doesn't have to be a member of the vix team working on the tmtwin, vix is open source so anyone can build for the twin with the openvix codebase.
Openvix has a most comprehensive set of files built in for the tmtwin.
I got the impression that the original beta images were from vix code before IQ got their grubby hands on it and worked their usual magic and broke a few things.

As an update I can confirm that vix are looking at the tmtwin
https://www.assembla.com/spaces/openvix/stream
If you look at May 10th there are commits for the tmtwin and on the 7th.
It doesn't mean they are ready to go but it shows they are looking at it, you have more of a chance from the vix boys than the iq ones.

To be honest if andy blac has time to look at the twin then I would assume that he has sorted the kernel issues and they are in final beta testing with the new kernel on the other boxes.
If vix release an image then it will be untouched by IQ and if it's to the standard of the vu images (not including the latest memory leak issue) then I think people are going to get a nice surprise.

I trust the vix boys a lot more than the IQ boys, also openvix is really open source so everyone can play, unlike with this openpli mongrelisation that is happening at the moment.
People need to remember that the vix boys do this for free so you just need to wait.
You can monitor what is going on from the link I posted above.

I trust the vix boys a lot more than the IQ boys, also openvix is really open source so everyone can play, unlike with this openpli mongrelisation that is happening at the moment.
People need to remember that the vix boys do this for free so you just need to wait.

Ellie1998, thanks for this info! But can you give us an idea on WHO the iQ team are? Are they full time TM staff? Or have they been contracted by TM to produce an image for them? Or what?

From what yourself and others have said about ViX (seeing how helpful and knowledgable people like Phoenix are!), I tend to feel that a ViX image will end up being more stable/reliable.

That being said, I'm still not happy that my Twin is working properly. I'm still getting failed recordings (2 today!), and I've ruled out the HDD. This is almost certainly to do with how the image is handling 2 simultaneous recordings on different tuners! :( So, NO, I CAN'T recommend the Twin ONE BIT!

I get the impression that the iq team is a spotty 9 year old programmer in korea somewhere to be honest they have a 9 year old mentality.
Vix have a proven track record, I play at programming they really do it and get it to work. If they can't iron out the bugs then it's the hardware again.

To be honest I find the twin pretty stable and very functional but the old problem of changing channel and the audio changes but the video freezes can be a pain.

I don't record much as I don't see the point when I can download it the next day without the crappy adverts and play it through the media player to the tv.
We don't use the twin in the front room my wife prefers the dm800se, I have given the son the tm800 and the tmtwin is here for me to trash when work dies down a bit.

I get the impression that the iq team is a spotty 9 year old programmer in korea somewhere to be honest they have a 9 year old mentality.
Vix have a proven track record, I play at programming they really do it and get it to work. If they can't iron out the bugs then it's the hardware again.

LOL! To be honest, I've seen 9 year old programmers with more talent! :) Being a programmer myself, I have little sympathy for bad programming (you've probably guessed I don't suffer sloppy programmers too

To be honest I find the twin pretty stable and very functional but the old problem of changing channel and the audio changes but the video freezes can be a pain.

Ever since going to the 24/04/2012 image, I've not had the video freeze. However, I had had the occassional crash when just navigating the EPG or some other type of OSD, and these are crashes that I never experienced on the older images. Also, CCcam switching seems to be even worse with this image - I've resorted to having my laptop handy with an active ssh session so that I can run a manual "cp" command! :S

I don't record much as I don't see the point when I can download it the next day without the crappy adverts and play it through the media player to the tv.
We don't use the twin in the front room my wife prefers the dm800se, I have given the son the tm800 and the tmtwin is here for me to trash when work dies down a bit.

See, this is why I don't see what benefit you'd get from a Linux box unless you're watching a lot of ecrypted "foreign" channels (ie not on Astra 29.2E), or even just Freesat. Considering how much money I've spent on my Twin, HDD and the pay server, I may as well have gone for a Sly+ box. The reason I opted for a Linux box was so that I can record and archive off my recordings to my server.

Last edited:
VU Duo £289 V TM Twin £279 Whats your thoughts?
The Duo can be bought from German sites for 299 euro ,315 euro delivered,thats less than £260.

LOL! To be honest, I've seen 9 year old programmers with more talent! :) Being a programmer myself, I have little sympathy for bad programming (you've probably guessed I don't suffer sloppy programmers too )

You're missing a closing bracket at the end there mate...Nothing like sloppy code :D

[sorry, couldn't resist that :)]

As an update I can confirm that vix are looking at the tmtwin
https://www.assembla.com/spaces/openvix/stream
If you look at May 10th there are commits for the tmtwin and on the 7th.
It doesn't mean they are ready to go but it shows they are looking at it, you have more of a chance from the vix boys than the iq ones.

To be honest if andy blac has time to look at the twin then I would assume that he has sorted the kernel issues and they are in final beta testing with the new kernel on the other boxes.
If vix release an image then it will be untouched by IQ and if it's to the standard of the vu images (not including the latest memory leak issue) then I think people are going to get a nice surprise.

looks like the ViX team is flying ahead

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

ive just created an image using the same tm drivers, and opentv is running

Last edited:
an update to my last post, after erasing all of the information from the crossepg folder on my usb, and erasing the epg.dat database, it is now working 100%

Back