VPN - CONNECTION home contract

srooth

Inactive User
Reaction score
does anyone now or should I say that I heard on the grape vine, that NTL are going to stop VPN connections through to corporate networks, if you are on a home contract not business.

Anyone no if this is the case????

someone told me that VIRGIN, have experience problems with VPN connections with their systems??? so we have to pay for business broadband connections

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/993-ntl-appears-to-ban-virtual-private-networks-vp

Following on from our article regarding NTL downloads limits of 1GB per day, it would appear from reading the new Terms and conditions that users on the 'Home' services who run a VPN are now not allowed to do so. An extract from section 18 of the T&C's is:

18. Use of Virtual Private Network (VPN)

As stated above, the ntl Internet and/or Interactive Services are for residential use only and we do not support the use of VPN. If we find you are using VPN via the ntl IP network we may instruct you to stop using it and you must comply with this request. This is in order to prevent problems to ntl (eg network performance) and other Internet users.

The banning of VPN's seems to be tied to both bandwidth use, and ensuring that people only use the home service for non-commercial reasons. For many people who work in the IT industry, the ability to run a VPN into the office late in the evening to save going into the office to fix a fault, is a useful option. There is a difference between someone doing the odd bit of work via a home connection, and a permanent home workers line that is paid for by a company. Do British Telecom monitor phone usage and insist you buy a business line if they catch you making the odd business phone call from home? No!

There is some further information on the bandwidth limits available at The Enquirer. They have an email from an NTL user who has dragged some information out of NTL, apparently the 1GB/day, is averaged over the month, which is not so unreasonable. Initially people who exceed this will receive a warning letter, but if you persist your account may be converted to a business account.

Interestingly NTL is still advertising the cable modem service with such wonderful phrases as Unlimited surfing so you don't have to worry about high call charges. Which is interesting, since if you surf excessively, which is fairly easy in a household of 2 or more people, you may find your monthly bill increasing to business level pricing.

many thanks forthe info above - the link that you gave at the top does not work / no information????

The above rules have applied for aslong as i can remember.
i rememebr reading a thread some years back about the same thing which got me worried.

now ive been running 3 VPN's for over 2 years and never had a warning or an instruction to stop using them.
i use mine for private LAN games and connections between servers so sometimes they carry a fair bit of traffic.
but still never had any complaints about them

Last edited:
Utter LobLox, just like Kryton said. Personal / Home users do have the ability to use VPN and its often for the use of LAN games or even just for some safe file transfers.

Thats just plain annoying. I mean given that the only people I woudl trust to set up a VPN with are already VM users then the bandwidth is internal so they wont have to pay for data over the internet. They just have to make sure their ubrs dont die.

Edit 1
Us home users have even been known to work with rudimentary tools and verbal communications. We also have fire and the wheel.

Edit 2
Sorry I cant help myself, where do they get off? the home users are often the ones who make better use of things like VPN and anything else VM would consider a "corporate priveledge" ah im so angry ..... lol

Last edited:
Back