Voip broadband/phone packages

silvershadow21

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Guys
Needing some advice on this one. been thinking about dumping my home phone landline for years, and with the recent news that Virgin are once again increasing costs across their services, and moving the evening times for free calls (from 6pm - 7pm) before it starts, i am ready to take the plunge.

I am currently with virgin, get home phone + evening & weekend call plan / 30mb broadband /basic Tv package.

I havent had a single call charge on my home phone for 16 months as all my calls are in the evening.

I am keeping the broadband package as its the best out there, and am aware i will pay extra if i dump the phone line, but @ £200 + a year, its stupid to keep it going.

Been looking about for Voip packages and came across vonage.
It states i can transfer my home phone number & comes with 20+ call features, like caller display, voicemail etc at no extra cost, unlimited uk calls for £5.99 per month.

Has anybody used Vonage, or is using another provider that they can recommend ?.

is dumping the landline the way ahead .

Interested in all your thoughts guys, Pros & cons.

cheers

Thomas

I switched to voip a couple of years ago and save about 25 euro a month,I pay 10 euro a month for 300 mins to anywhere,

The only thing to remember is mobile calls are seperate and you need to top up your account to be able to ring mobile,well at least you do hear in Ireland

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Which provider are you with ?

and do you rate them ?

cheers

I'm with blueface and also have an account with voipbuster so i get an english number for people to ring me on if calling from the uk :)

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

One problem with vonage is it connects to your router. So if the internet is down, you are unable to use it.

localphone.com is good as well. You can rent a UK landline number (not sure about transferring) and use voip on your mobile/pc to answer it.
Think skype are still doing unlimited UK landline calling package. Again mobiles are excluded and you can also get an online number.

i'm looking into this myself,i was looking at skype with 1 of the phone converters,but it's not atall clear going threw there site,i need to buy a number and pay for it per quarter and £5.00 per month for unlimited call's to uk an ireland....i just don't want to jump in and be stuck,or end up costing myself more money in the long run...like yourself,i have virgin phone and bb and was looking rid off the phone.

I called VM last year as I was looking to do the same. I have Telephone, BB and basic tv package with them. When they recalculated the new price, it would end up charging me more so I had to keep it in the end.

I use sipgate for a free (incoming) uk landline number & voipstunt for outgoing calls. 10 euros & you get 300 minutes of calls *free* each week for 3 months then once the three months is up you get charged from the initial 10 euros.

I use sipgate for a free (incoming) uk landline number & voipstunt for outgoing calls. 10 euros & you get 300 minutes of calls *free* each week for 3 months then once the three months is up you get charged from the initial 10 euros.

Only open to business users ATM pity was quite interested.

Only open to business users ATM pity was quite interested.
You mean sipgate?
Just tried regsitering a new account and it seems ok this end, if it's not allowing you to register pm your details (area code / password (you can change that later) / email address) & i can try to register for you.

One problem with vonage is it connects to your router. So if the internet is down, you are unable to use it.

localphone.com is good as well. You can rent a UK landline number (not sure about transferring) and use voip on your mobile/pc to answer it.
Think skype are still doing unlimited UK landline calling package. Again mobiles are excluded and you can also get an online number.

Not too bothered about the occasional downtime, and i can live with that as the mobile will always be on.

Vonage is appealing as it lets you port your existing VM / bt number over as well, and doesnt charge, + you can keep all your existing phones and just plug them into their equipment
I looked at the sipgate site and they want £20 to port your number.

Other suggested companies like Skype as an example, you cant find a bloody straightforward piece of info on their website, other that minutes ties in with buying their phone equipment.

Appreciate your feedback guys

Thomas

Back