VLC and DivX/avi files

digidude

Sheep worrier.
VIP Member
Reaction score
ive got a USB HDD connected to a PC with all my downloaded films etc on it, but theyre ALL in avi format, has anyone had any experience of watching divx on a dreambox, and if so, how would i do it?

ive got a 7020 and 600 with internal drives so i suppose i could FTP files to them easily enough, but the 500's and the 800 dont have drives (800 will have next month) so would have to connect to the PC, unless i connected the HDD to the USB socket of either the 7020 or the 800 and used it like that

ta for looking

you cant play avi directly from usb drive.
you would need to convert to ts, or you can stream from pc with vlc plugin

how do i setup the plugin m8?

have a look at this m8.

only thing is I can only get it working with ethernet cable. cant seem to get it working with the wireless :(.

I can get it to stream from the box to pc wirelessy but not other way round.

ive got a USB HDD connected to a PC with all my downloaded films etc on it, but theyre ALL in avi format, has anyone had any experience of watching divx on a dreambox, and if so, how would i do it?

ive got a 7020 and 600 with internal drives so i suppose i could FTP files to them easily enough, but the 500's and the 800 dont have drives (800 will have next month) so would have to connect to the PC, unless i connected the HDD to the USB socket of either the 7020 or the 800 and used it like that

ta for looking

The poor wee Dreambox can't handle anything more complex than MPEG2 mate, the CPU just ain't up to it.

set it all up, but the breakup is terrible :(

thanks for the info though peeps :)

i usaly convert the avi into .ts file then copy that .ts or drag and drop
to me hdd on me dm 600,they proggie what i used was a makestream
bat file,i did have a thread about it but it must of got taken out when the
forums got cleaned up,the thread was called films from pc to 600hdd

i did think about converting them, but the HDD is also one of them media player thingys, so i can just unplug it from the PC and take it up the girlfriends house to watch downloaded films etc up there. the PC its connected to has a 19" widescreen monitor in the kitchen, and when ive wanted to watch downloaded stuff in another room, ill burn the avi's direct to data disc to play either in the old xbox media center in the living room, or the dvd/divx players in the bedrooms, but thought if i could connect directly with the dreamboxes its be even better

guess ill have to burn heroes to disc to watch tonight lol

Back